Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why this 106kg half-back is likened to a premiership skipper

    I don't quite make six foot and I will freely give you 15 kilos to take my weight down and bring yours up.
    There are plenty of talented people in the world. As you already know, talent is not enough. Some of the athletes with the most potential never pan out. What separates the good from the great is determination and work ethic.

  2. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes MrMahatma, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
  3. #17
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillside. (carn the sharks)
    Posts
    2,883
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why this 106kg half-back is likened to a premiership skipper

    Without seeing a single game he has played he sounds like a Kieran Collins type to me. His bigger body works in the underage and second tier comps but he'll get found out playing against afl standard men. In saying that you can never write these kids off.
    Last edited by ratsmac; 26-10-2019 at 07:55 AM.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

  4. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawforn
    Posts
    9,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why this 106kg half-back is likened to a premiership skipper

    Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Without seeing a single game he has played he sounds like a Kieran Collins type to me. His bigger body works in the underage and second tier comps but he'll get found out playing against afl standard men. In saying that you can never write these kids off.
    Check his video here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v68pthjJjcQ

  5. Thanks Smads57, ratsmac thanked for this post
  6. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hawforn
    Posts
    9,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why this 106kg half-back is likened to a premiership skipper

    I get the angst around his weight and preparation for the combine testing not being ideal, but he's for all intents and purposes a good footballer and he's delivered against his peers twice when he's had two opportunities to do so in elite football competition.

    That to me counts for more than whatever else.

    Whoever gets him will be happy, but if we think someone is equal to him and ticks the boxes he does footy wise, and tested better then we should look over him.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why this 106kg half-back is likened to a premiership skipper

    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I get the angst around his weight and preparation for the combine testing not being ideal, but he's for all intents and purposes a good footballer and he's delivered against his peers twice when he's had two opportunities to do so in elite football competition.

    That to me counts for more than whatever else.

    Whoever gets him will be happy, but if we think someone is equal to him and ticks the boxes he does footy wise, and tested better then we should look over him.
    I don't think there are any doubts on his football ability and there will be more than enough clubs prepared to back their system into getting him into an AFL ready physical condition so he's going to be drafted and it's now just a case of where.
    I'm also confident that clubs will be somewhat understanding that he didn't test well for endurance but the concern has to be about his athleticism and pace which was still a fair way off the mark.

    His achievements during the season will count for a lot as it's an impressive resume he has built over the last 2 years but there will also be some clubs that see him as failing his job interview by simply not being prepared.
    In some ways he's opened the door for clubs not to draft him and many of them don't need a lot of reasons to prefer one player over another.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,086
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why this 106kg half-back is likened to a premiership skipper

    He’s an extraordinarily great footballer. Has some country bumpkin about him but he will be a regular AFL player. I’d pick him in a minute.

  9. Likes Mofra liked this post
  10. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Western Suburbs
    Posts
    5,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why this 106kg half-back is likened to a premiership skipper

    I liked him a lot more before those testing results, and I'm not worried about the weight.

    I struggle to see how a guy with that athletic profile translates his running/line breaking game to AFL level. I'd be keen if he was 5cm taller and a genuine key defender, but I don't really see how a guy who moves how he does finds time and space at AFL level.

  11. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    9,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why this 106kg half-back is likened to a premiership skipper

    Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Without seeing a single game he has played he sounds like a Kieran Collins type to me.
    I really don't see any comparison TBH.
    Even at VFL level we would have never played through Collins to kickstart scoring chains from the back half.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  12. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why this 106kg half-back is likened to a premiership skipper

    Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I liked him a lot more before those testing results, and I'm not worried about the weight.

    I struggle to see how a guy with that athletic profile translates his running/line breaking game to AFL level. I'd be keen if he was 5cm taller and a genuine key defender, but I don't really see how a guy who moves how he does finds time and space at AFL level.
    That's the challenge for clubs in selecting him. Are the combine results going to translate into a problem at the senior level or can they back themselves to get him right

    He has the talent I don't think many can question that but he may slide down the order a bit. I still think he gets drafted in the first round.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  13. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why this 106kg half-back is likened to a premiership skipper

    Is he a reach at 13?

  14. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why this 106kg half-back is likened to a premiership skipper

    Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Is he a reach at 13?
    No, especially not if a club thinks they can get him into shape. He's made it a bit harder for himself that he should have though
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •