Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  53
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Footscray? Yeah but no but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Yep. There's 25 year olds who have only or can only remember their footy ticket and footy record as the Western Bulldogs. All generations witnessed a great premiership in 2016 by the Western Bulldogs, is there a knock on it because it wasn't Footscray? Why force another generation into the emotional and/or intellectual conflict that we went through all those years ago? We shouldn't. I agree about the 'same club' comment: a rose but by another name would still be a rose. We are proud club with a proud history, and an exciting future. Changing the name does nothing to change it. The key to progress is not to reverse course.

Exactly right. 100% right. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, the so called Buddy Franklin clone, genetic all tlent, possible Pick 1 in next year's draft is coming to us wholly and solely because we have the Western Vic NGA. (Plus other kids)That's worth 'Western Bulldogs' alone. Ballarat makes us something like $500,000 a game when if at Marvel its $20,000.

Western Bulldogs has been a great move by the club and is now delivering real outcomes. It doesn't change our DNA or our history, it does change our elite talent profile, it changes our membership numbers up and changes our bottom line up.

Sure reminisce about the past, but we should leave it there once and for all.
    I'm 27 and can't remember it being Footscray either. Agree it's a bit late to change it back

2. Likes bulldogtragic, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't hate our current name. I hate the way it came about and the trend in sports marketing that was happening at the time. The narrative around a fair chunk of it never held up and we only really started nailing the campaign post 2010.

I am more comfortable with things now, because we have a classic jumper and our name in the VFL, it's a bit of appeasement. I used to be defensive/aggro about it because there has been an aggressive scapegoating of the name and place I identify most with. Western as a name will probably stay & to be frank, I resent Smorgo for it.

4. Likes GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I don't hate our current name. I hate the way it came about and the trend in sports marketing that was happening at the time. The narrative around a fair chunk of it never held up and we only really started nailing the campaign post 2010.

I am more comfortable with things now, because we have a classic jumper and our name in the VFL, it's a bit of appeasement. I used to be defensive/aggro about it because there has been an aggressive scapegoating of the name and place I identify most with. Western as a name will probably stay & to be frank, I resent Smorgo for it.
    100% with you. I felt more of an anti Footscray than pro Western Suburbs feeling at the time of the change. Erasing our history and trying to start again. Changing the jumper, as well as moving from Whitten Oval (I get at the time that had to happen and was something Gordon was doing too, however it really was compounded).

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m 30 years old. We should be grateful that our club is still here (1989) and it is just so amazing how far it has come. I’m wearing my “Western Bulldogs” trackies. We are the Western Bulldogs now aka as Footscray. From a marketing point of view it makes perfect sense to capture those outer western suburbs. The ultimately aim is to have the largest supporter base in Victoria and Australia.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

The Western Bulldogs name infers we have a wide catchment; The West. Come join us if you're over this side, you'll be welcome.

Far more scope and inclusive than another team a bit further out, named after their town, whose catchment is as narrow and undersized as their home ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Time to keep moving forward, forging ahead.

Not sure why this is even a question 20+ years on.
    Because 3AW and its listeners aren't content with anything that's changed because "things were better in the old days and this is PC gone mad".
    "It's over. It's all over."

10. Likes Twodogs, bulldogtragic, dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am Footscray rgrough and through at first I was bewildered but on reflection I understood. I grew up in Braybrook and have lived all over the west currently in Werribee every year I see more and more bulldog s gear being worn. It's a slow process bu,t it's working I understand the ongoing angst but I think it was for the best.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was all for the change at the time - being borderline bankrupt with a merger more likely than not if we didn't increase our membership numbers and revenue, if there was ever a moment for such as extreme change, it was then. For years on bigfooty I would argue the point of how it was of benefit given the wider regional catchment it covered, and just could not understanding how people could put a name over potentially hurting membership numbers, and in turn, the club's survival.

The more than doubling of membership from 1996-->1997 indicated that the move was at least accepted by most supporters, and maybe even embraced by a significant percentage (Plough as a new coach and the excitement/success of the season obviously contributed to the increase in numbers as well).

But now, with a club that isn't worried about having enough resources to survive year to year, and hopefully never will again, I'd love to go back to Footscray. It truly is one of the greatest suburbs in the world, it's just that until recently, the world never knew it.

In my mind Footscray is who we are, that's the name that 100+ years of players and administrators fought for. Western can be a region in any bloody city in any bloody country, but there can only be one Footscray. Well, other than the one in England.

But I would never be for a name change being introduced without a vote of members, and I can't ever see it getting voted through, in my lifetime anyway.

14. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen to all the interviews around 89/90 and you'll hear the club extensively referred to as a club for people of the west, the western suburbs etc. The idea that adopting a regional name opened you up to a greater catchment was a popular trend across many brands at the time. It found fertile ground in Footscray because it was already true and some marketing guru flipped it.

That's not to discredit the actual development and investment in the idea in recent times, but this is one of the things that irritates me the most.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I was all for the change at the time - being borderline bankrupt with a merger more likely than not if we didn't increase our membership numbers and revenue, if there was ever a moment for such as extreme change, it was then. For years on bigfooty I would argue the point of how it was of benefit given the wider regional catchment it covered, and just could not understanding how people could put a name over potentially hurting membership numbers, and in turn, the club's survival.

The more than doubling of membership from 1996-->1997 indicated that the move was at least accepted by most supporters, and maybe even embraced by a significant percentage (Plough as a new coach and the excitement/success of the season obviously contributed to the increase in numbers as well).

But now, with a club that isn't worried about having enough resources to survive year to year, and hopefully never will again, I'd love to go back to Footscray. It truly is one of the greatest suburbs in the world, it's just that until recently, the world never knew it.

In my mind Footscray is who we are, that's the name that 100+ years of players and administrators fought for. Western can be a region in any bloody city in any bloody country, but there can only be one Footscray. Well, other than the one in England.

But I would never be for a name change being introduced without a vote of members, and I can't ever see it getting voted through, in my lifetime anyway.
    Welcome back
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Thanks Guido thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm

I've never lived in the West - I did what 90% of Victorian kids do in going for my Dad's team (he grew up in Footscray, then moved to Essendon as a teenager....far out does he hate Essendon..) so I've been skeptical of the Western catchment thing given how most kids 'choose' a team. My son hasn't gotten a choice either!

Butttttt…..if they believe playing the long game fans wise is starting to bear fruit, then you have to be for it.

I've always accepted it, but if they ever changed it back I can't say I'd be unhappy.

I'm also supportive of Ballarat - I loved the Adelaide game out there, truly felt like a 'home' game experience. Can you imagine 'Footscray' playing there? Well if they were tagged the team of the mighty west somehow, then maybe.

Anyway, given it's not going to happen....
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

19. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Am reconciled to our name and don't believe it will change back. Being now 65 yo of course I loved the Footscray F.C. and the cry of 'Footscray' and 'Scray'.
    When our name was changed of course it seemed like a betrayal, a cringe, a failure of heart and faith. It was a name made by a marketting committee.
    Being an English teacher, an intuitive type who values symbols, words and images it seemed misguided and non- descript.
    Now with a second premiership and a great future, it seems not as important.
    However seeing as the topic is raised: the 'Western' Bulldogs in a national comp seems strange as there are five clubs more west than us. Is it arrogant or ignorant to presume without stating that 'west' means west of Melbourne? Should we be Greater Western Melbourne or Western Victoria (Geelong would not agree)?
    Being specifically Footscray is historically and geographically accurate. Mecca is for all Islamists, Barcelona F.C. is for all fans and Richmond F.C. is for all members of the Tiger heartland. The heartlands name has the power of the birth, the solid foundation of the unfolding, the "still point of the turning world". However...

It doesn't matter anymore, these issues are just expecting too much of the name.
    Long live the Western Bulldogs.

21. Thanks Mitcha thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, Twodogs, Guido liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I'm 27 and can't remember it being Footscray either. Agree it's a bit late to change it back
    How can you be only 27 yo and know the term 'too late' in a historical sense

23. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great replies everyone. This is WOOF at it's best.

The passion bleeds through every post.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

25. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Great replies everyone. This is WOOF at it's best.

The passion bleeds through every post.
    It's true. I passionately *!*!*!*!ing hate 3AW.
    "It's over. It's all over."

27. Likes strebla liked this post