Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

AFLW List Finalised for 2021

Link

The Western Bulldogs have locked in their AFLW list of 30 players for the 2020 season.

It was finalised today, with the signing of South Australian free agent Hannah Munyard.

The Bulldogs swooped on the 18-year-old following Tuesday’s NAB AFLW Draft. The line-breaking midfielder represented South Australia at under-18 level and has played in back-to-back SANFLW premierships with South Adelaide.

Munyard joins the seven Victorian teenagers selected by the Bulldogs in the draft to complete a new-look squad for 2020, headlined by number one pick Gabby Newton.

More than one-third of the Bulldogs’ playing group is now aged 21 or under.

Newton was one of four top-10 picks for the Bulldogs, alongside Nell Morris-Dalton (pick six), Gemma Lagioia (eight) and Bulldogs VFLW product Elisabeth Georgostathis (nine).

Father-daughter selection Isabella Grant (47), Britney Gutknecht (48) and Amelia Van Oosterwijck rounded out the Bulldogs’ draft haul.

“We couldn’t be happier with the players we’ve been able to add to our list,” Bulldogs’ AFLW list manager Mick Sandry said.

“Our strategy heading into the draft was very clear. We were able to bring in the best young talent available with our picks, while addressing some specific needs in terms of our list build.

“We were able to strengthen our forward half, while adding some extra speed to our line-up and more depth to our midfield.

“On top of the seven Victorian players we secured in the draft, we have also been able to secure South Australian midfielder Hannah Munyard as a free agent, who we rate highly.

“We are confident this group of exciting, talented young footballers will help drive our team and culture in the years to come.”

The Bulldogs have retained 19 players from 2019, with former Melbourne player Ashleigh Guest and international signings Katy Herron (Ireland) and Dani Marshall (USA) also to pull on the red, white and blue this season.

Western Bulldogs AFLW Squad:
    Brooke Lochland, Ellie Blackburn, Isabel Huntington, Kirsten McLeod, Deanna Berry, Eleanor Brown, Nicole Callinan, Lauren Spark, Celine Moody, Ellyse Gamble, Aisling McCarthy, Naomi Ferres, Bailey Hunt, Hannah Scott, Aisling Utri, Kimberley Rennie, Kirsty Lamb, Bonnie Toogood, Angelica Gogos, Ashleigh Guest, Katy Herron, Dani Marshall, Gabby Newton, Nell Morris-Dalton, Gemma Lagioia, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Isabella Grant, Britney Gutknecht, Amelia Van Ooosterwijck, Hannah Munyard
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

2. Thanks bornadog, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW List Finalised for 2021

A young team, but plenty of enthusiasm. Should go well this season coming up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With the competition being watered down a bit with the new teams, we have an extremely good list.
    Plenty of experience and young talent that no doubt some will make a big impact in their first season.
    Bring back the biff

6. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but after decimating our team with all the departures this comp is going to work hard to win me back.

In my eyes Conti and her mates have done inestimable damage to the goodwill the competition had garnered with their lack of loyalty to the club that gave them the opportunity to play in a premiership team. They can please themselves as far as I am concerned. I will watch the development of the young draftees with interest but I won't be going to games.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Sorry but after decimating our team with all the departures this comp is going to work hard to win me back.

In my eyes Conti and her mates have done inestimable damage to the goodwill the competition had garnered with their lack of loyalty to the club that gave them the opportunity to play in a premiership team. They can please themselves as far as I am concerned. I will watch the development of the young draftees with interest but I won't be going to games.
    I have great respect and affection for you 2D, but couldn't disagree more with this position.

Our AFLM (and before that VLFM) teams have been damaged time and time again, and a host of stars have left us for apparently greener pastures. We hate the league, we can choose to hate the players (which I think in this case is wrong, but that's another matter), but giving up on one of our teams because of that? And one of our teams that has already won us a flag in the first 3 years of the comp? And Konti won us a Grand Final in her first season...

There are broader conversations to be had about the AFLW comp - but for all its many mistakes, I still love our AFLW team (as much as the AFLM team to be honest), and there are few things better than standing on the Doug Hawkins wing and roaring them on.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Utri puts AFLW career on hold

Western Bulldogs AFLW midfielder Aisling Utri will sit out the 2020 season as she dedicates herself to a developing hockey career.

Utri is one of Australia’s talented female hockey players, having recently captained the Australian under 21 team in the recent tri-series against New Zealand and India.

In what is shaping to be a crucial year for her prospects of representing her country in hockey, Utri made the tough decision to forgo her AFLW commitments for the short term.

The 21-year-old has spent the last two seasons with the Bulldogs and played 14 of a possible 15 games, including being a member of the 2018 premiership team.

“This was a very tough decision to make, because it’s been an unbelievable experience playing for the Western Bulldogs, and the Club has been amazing in supporting my hockey. I wouldn’t have been able to play these past two years without their support,” Utri said.

“I’ve played hockey for a while now and would love to try and make it to the next level. For me to give myself the best chance to achieve that goal, at this stage of my career I need to fully dedicate myself to it.

“I haven’t closed the door on playing footy. I’ll be supporting the girls as much as possible as their number one fangirl, which I was in season one, and I wish the Club well for the 2020 season.

“The girls have been amazing in their support of me and my decision. They were the hardest to tell because they all mean so much to me. I can’t thank them enough for making the past two years such a blast.”

Utri would be eligible to return to the Club for the 2021 season, which would be in the second year of her two-year contract with the Bulldogs.

“We know this was a tough call for Ash to make, and we are supportive and understanding of her decision,” said Bulldogs’ General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee.

“Ash has a bright future in hockey, and for her to succeed in the sport it will need her full attention at this time.

“She has been a fantastic member of the Western Bulldogs’ AFLW squad for the last two seasons, and we’ll miss her influence on and off the field. We wish her all the best with her hockey career.”

LINK
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

10. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very understandable decision by Utri.

It is an Olympic year for an Olympic sport and may well be the only opportunity, Aisling has to get that level of achievement.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Very understandable decision by Utri.

It is an Olympic year for an Olympic sport and may well be the only opportunity, Aisling has to get that level of achievement.
    It's a good decision for her, footy is great but a chance to get to the Olympic games in to good to pass up
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"