Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Geelong

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Anyone else surprised that Stephen Wells has been stood down by Geelong?

Pay cut for sure but I would imagine a list manager would be a required position with the pay cuts, a likely substantial cull of the playing list and a reduced salary cap.

They've opened the door for some other club to chase after Wells
    What I found surprising also is that they are NOT one of the clubs self funding during the pandemic. Staggering to me that Geelong, with all of the state and federal government support with their stadium and the huge numbers they make at each and every home game at Kardinia Park, and the huge success they've had in the last 15 years - are not absolutely flush with cash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    What I found surprising also is that they are NOT one of the clubs self funding during the pandemic. Staggering to me that Geelong, with all of the state and federal government support with their stadium and the huge numbers they make at each and every home game at Kardinia Park, and the huge success they've had in the last 15 years - are not absolutely flush with cash.
    I think they still had to pay something for the Stadium, so are in debt.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been reported that Jack Steven went to hospital early this morning with a stab wound

Geelong star Jack Steven remains in hospital after being admitted overnight after receiving a wound to his chest region.

Victoria Police are investigating the matter with the club releasing a statement on Sunday morning.

“The club is aware that Jack Steven was injured in an incident last night,” the statement read.

“Jack is in hospital and recovering. The club’s concern is for Jack’s health and well being.

“The matter has been referred to police and until their investigations are completed the club will not be in position to offer further comment.”

AFL newsbreaker Damian Barrett provided further information surrounding the incident on Channel 9’s Sunday Footy Show when news of the incident came to light.

“Jack Steven presented himself to hospital at 1am this morning (Sunday) in Melbourne,” Barrett said.

“He did so on the back of receiving a wound to his chest region which we believe was inflicted by a sharp instrument. The club is aware of it, the police are investigating.”
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I feel like you really have to go out of your way to get stabbed at the moment too.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes jeemak, Dry Rot, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Wow. I feel like you really have to go out of your way to get stabbed at the moment too.
    Yes, it seems out of the boundaries of the new normal
    Did I hear he was in a Melbourne hospital?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I wonder if it was self inflicted or whether someone else has done it to him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The initial reports said he had been assaulted but they don't seem to have progressed from there
    He has had a rough trot of late with his mental health challenges so hopefully he will pull though this safely

Post Thanks / Like

It's being report that Jack Steven isn't cooperating with Police inquiries adding further intrigue to this story

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Likely. Reads very similar to a handful of instances I've been involved with over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

If I read between the lines here .....
    From Gary Lyon
    “He’s got issues, Jack, obviously that he’s still dealing with. The issues have been documented. He’s had mental health issues as well.

“He’s wanted to get back to family for all the reasons that have been spoken about. I don’t think his move to Geelong has just wiped out all those things that have been challenging him.

“I don’t think you can apply ‘flawless’ to his lifestyle outside (of the football club). Clearly the challenges are there, and clearly Geelong will continue to support him.”

Post Thanks / Like

"The issues have been documented. He’s had mental health issues as well."

Very intriuging that the issues are not just being included with the 'mental health' card.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

From 9 news

The circumstances surrounding the stabbing of Geelong midfielder Jack Steven remain murky after the star's admission to hospital with a stab wound to the chest.

The club confirmed Steven was recovering in hospital on Sunday but officials still haven't been able to ascertain what led to the shock incident.

According to The Herald Sun, an intoxicated Steven was unable to shed any light on the matter when visited by police.

It's understood Steven twice refused to tell investigators who was responsible for the stabbing.

Even though the injury isn't believed to be serious, Geelong is concerned about the star because of a serious battle with mental illness over recent years.

The incident on Saturday night was referred to police by hospital staff after the Cats player checked-in for medical attention.

"Stonnington Crime Investigation Unit detectives are investigating after a 30-year-old Lorne man presented at a Melbourne hospital overnight with a non-life-threatening injury," a Victoria Police spokesperson said.

"Detectives are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident and hope to speak to the victim again later today."

The Cats earlier on Sunday released a statement confirming an incident had taken place.

"Jack is in hospital and recovering. The club's concern is for Jack's health and well being," a Geelong spokesman said.

"The matter has been referred to police and until their investigations are completed the club will not be in position to offer further comment."

Former Geelong captain Cameron Ling, who skippered the club to the 2011 premiership, told ABC Radio: "The injury is certainly serious but not life threatening which is good news.

"But a really serious incident that Jack's been involved in and we hope he's OK.

"At his best he is a wonderful footballer, and he came to the Cats looking for a change of scenery to reinvigorate his love of the game.

"He was excited about what the season held for him. We don't know many details other than that footy is the furthest thing from his and his family's mind."

The 30-year-old Steven was traded to the Cats last October after a decorated 183-game career with St Kilda, where he won four best-and-fairest awards.

Post Thanks / Like

Lachie Hunter now rapidly falling down the leaderboard for footy related iso ****ups.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Lachie Hunter now rapidly falling down the leaderboard for footy related iso ****ups.
    Lachie has been hard at work training together with Easton. Woody has taken him under his wing.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.