Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sam Gray

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Gray

Sam Gray can’t find middle ground with Port Adelaide, poised to leave as a delisted free agent

Sam Gray has almost certainly played his last game for Port Adelaide.

Barring a late, unexpected plot twist, the uncontracted small forward/midfielder will be set free by the Power and be claimed by a rival as a delisted free agent, possibly as soon as Friday.

Unable to reach agreement with Port on a new two-year deal, the 27-year-old Gray is likely to be released by the club that selected him in the 2014 rookie draft.

The deadline for the first list lodgement is 1.30pm on Thursday.

The first delisted free agency period begins on Friday and runs until November 11.

Gray, who has played 96 games and kicked 83 goals for the Power since debuting in 2014, has been seeking a new two-year contract with Port.

But the club so far hasn’t budged on its original offer of just a one-year deal – understood to be for less money than he earned this year.

Gray, who has kicked an impressive 69 goals in the past three years, was told late in the season that he could test the market but after being linked with several clubs in the exchange period no trade was struck.

Port spoke with Gray’s manager, Peter Rohde, after the trade period but the parties have been unable to strike a new deal.

“Unfortunately for Sam, who was the one who said that he wanted to look at what his options were, there wasn’t any interest in him throughout the trade period at all,’’ Power football operations manager Chris Davies said at the end of the trade period.

“It wasn’t the fact that we were holding out for a better deal or anything like that, it was just that unfortunately there wasn’t a home for him.

“He is going to have to have a think about that now.’’

While nothing has been made official, it is understood the two parties have reached an impasse, leading to Gray’s departure.

Gray, who also pinch-hits in the midfield, has played 62 of a possible 67 games in the past three seasons.

He is likely to get the two-year contract he is seeking at a rival club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Gray

Good for another club getting a super cheap small forward. Carlton maybe?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Could see Sydney being interested after moving Menzel on and likely to lose Papley next year.

Post Thanks / Like

He is going to miss out altogether I think.

He should sign the one year deal and cross his fingers...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I re-read the article. Cheap as Chips is now a player manager... I wonder what his point of difference is? Same results though.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I re-read the article. Cheap as Chips is now a player manager... I wonder what his point of difference is? Same results though.
    He will be picked up by one of the bottom 5 clubs . I can see him with North melbourne , to add some class in their bland midfield as no one wants to go there .

But seriously why are we not looking at him over Some others on our list like Roarke ?
    Last edited by macca; 31-10-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    He will be picked up by one of the bottom 5 clubs . I can see him with North melbourne , to add some class in their bland midfield as no one wants to go there .

But seriously why are we not looking at him over Some others on our list like Roarke ?
    It would come down to who's been in our system for longer with this particular example I'd think. We're a one-in, one-out team as far as coaching philosophy goes and we're not really aligned with Port on that front. Faults aside Roarke seems like a decent enough dude and probably knows what we're trying to do most of the time. He can play a couple of positions and would definitely know what was required of him. Not sure Sam Gray is the same.

Look at a guy like Lloyd though, he was something to plug into the way we play to make us better and had a clear point of difference to other available players and those we had with us and would have been an easier decision to bring in. But the scenarios provide a good contrast.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post

I'd like to think he has a couple of clubs expressing an interest in him before he knocked back Port

North landing Bonar might rule them out for Gray but they do appear to be a logical destination, Adelaide might look at him as well given the players they lost

Post Thanks / Like

Officially delisted now.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

SYDNEY is set to sign ex-Hawthorn defender Kaiden Brand and former Port Adelaide forward Sam Gray as delisted free agents.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    SYDNEY is set to sign ex-Hawthorn defender Kaiden Brand and former Port Adelaide forward Sam Gray as delisted free agents.
    Both are good additions for them
    Brand has played some good football when not injured and we know Gray is a consistent performer

I think Sydney will be please to add them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Probably why they delisted Menzel - knowing they were about to sign a replacement in Gray.

Feel sorry for Menzel, apparently this was going to be the first pre-season in forever he was going into injury free.