Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Who should play where in 2020?

Thought I would start a discussion about which players in our squad should find a new role or re-invent themselves in some way. Or even a player who needs to step up in a role he has shown some ability in. Particularly in positions where the senior team could use some help. The first that springs to my mind is;

Bailey Williams - Wing

I think our team has a 'Position Vacant' for one of the wing spots in the senior team. Lachie Hunter owns one of them but the other hasn't really been claimed in my view. Numerous players have rotated through the other wing position in recent years. The club had a look in the market place and were linked with players like Isaac Smith and Jack Martin as possible recruits for a role of this kind. Time for someone within the club to step up and claim it as his own. I think Bailey Williams has the ability to be that player.

Looking at his career to date he has played 41 games over 4 seasons averaging around 17 disposals per games playing mostly across half back mixing it with stints further up the ground. He showed in several games he was quite capable at the level. He is a great size at 187cm & 85kg and will enter 2020 as a 22yo in his fifth season.

What I like about the 'potential' of Williams is that he has the all round skills to be a good winger at AFL level. He has relatively good speed and endurance. He is a nice kick, a nice mark, & very good disposal efficiency (has a low clanger count). He can win his own ball on the inside and is quite effective on the outside and he likes to attack. So he ticks a few of the boxes.

Williams career so far has in some ways paralleled that of Hunter's in his early years. It took Hunter til his 4th season to claim a regular place in the team. Williams may be a season behind but his disposal numbers have been similar to Hunter in his early years. Hunter also averaging around 17 disposals per game in his first 3 years. They have similar stats on contested and uncontested possessions. To hold down a wing position Williams, like Hunter, would need to win a bit more of the ball, be more of a threat near goal, and perhaps work a bit harder on the defensive side of his game. I see no reason why he couldn't achieve these things.

Bailey should be primed to play regular senior football in 2020. The club has put it's faith in him by giving him a new 2 year contract and they didn't offer that deal for him to play at Footscray. He has also trained with the midfield group in recent seasons so the coaching staff clearly think he is up to it. But it seems obvious the club also thinks he has areas of his game he needs to improve on. Williams strikes me as a player that doesn't lack in confidence and with his skill set, age & experience should be perfectly primed for senior football. The club would be expecting it and so should he. 2020 is a great opportunity for him to seize the chance to be a regular senior player.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

2. Thanks GVGjr, jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes soupman, Smads57, SonofScray, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who should play where in 2020?

I would like to see SCHACHE have a decent crack at CHB. He is quick for his size, has a great tank, good leap, six foot five, beautiful disposal and only has to learn the craft to be a bonus to our half back line. I see him a little like Jones(better kick) and would hate to see him play out the year in the twos ( a distinct possability next season.)
    Last edited by Avoid the rush; 07-11-2019 at 10:46 AM.

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the suggestion of Williams on the wing and concur wholly with The Doctor.

Not so sure about Schache at CHB, but it is something I have occasionally pondered. Schache needs to bring more aggression to his game. If he does that I believe he will succeed in a big way.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid the rush View Post
    I would like to see SCHACHE have a decent crack at CHB. He is quick for his size, has a great tank, good leap, six foot five, beautiful disposal and only has to learn the craft to be a bonus to our half back line. I see him a little like Jones(better kick) and would hate to see him play out the year in the twos ( a distinct possability next season.)
    I thought we sought out Keath for that exact position?

One I would like to see is Ed Richards play in defence. I presume Suckers will miss games with niggles and Ed Richards has played his best football behind the ball. If the opposition sit on JJ (as they should) we still have a player capable of running the ball out of defence.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Williams is an interesting one. I am not sure where he should play.

I think the wing should be someone with speed like Ed Richards or Hayes. Williams has been good on the HBF, but really had a shocker in 2019, and I don't rate him as best 22.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I thought we sought out Keath for that exact position?

One I would like to see is Ed Richards play in defence. I presume Suckers will miss games with niggles and Ed Richards has played his best football behind the ball. If the opposition sit on JJ (as they should) we still have a player capable of running the ball out of defence.
    I think he could be a terrific addition to the back line but with Wood, Duryea, Crozier, JJ, Daniel and Suckling already having fair claims for spots on the flanks can we squeeze him in?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree......... I also think you could pretty much write the same assessment word for word for Brad Lynch. He his another player with massive potential............who gets squeezed out of the 22 though? That is the hard part.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Thought I would start a discussion about which players in our squad should find a new role or re-invent themselves in some way. Or even a player who needs to step up in a role he has shown some ability in. Particularly in positions where the senior team could use some help. The first that springs to my mind is;

Bailey Williams - Wing

I think our team has a 'Position Vacant' for one of the wing spots in the senior team. Lachie Hunter owns one of them but the other hasn't really been claimed in my view. Numerous players have rotated through the other wing position in recent years. The club had a look in the market place and were linked with players like Isaac Smith and Jack Martin as possible recruits for a role of this kind. Time for someone within the club to step up and claim it as his own. I think Bailey Williams has the ability to be that player.

Looking at his career to date he has played 41 games over 4 seasons averaging around 17 disposals per games playing mostly across half back mixing it with stints further up the ground. He showed in several games he was quite capable at the level. He is a great size at 187cm & 85kg and will enter 2020 as a 22yo in his fifth season.

What I like about the 'potential' of Williams is that he has the all round skills to be a good winger at AFL level. He has relatively good speed and endurance. He is a nice kick, a nice mark, & very good disposal efficiency (has a low clanger count). He can win his own ball on the inside and is quite effective on the outside and he likes to attack. So he ticks a few of the boxes.

Williams career so far has in some ways paralleled that of Hunter's in his early years. It took Hunter til his 4th season to claim a regular place in the team. Williams may be a season behind but his disposal numbers have been similar to Hunter in his early years. Hunter also averaging around 17 disposals per game in his first 3 years. They have similar stats on contested and uncontested possessions. To hold down a wing position Williams, like Hunter, would need to win a bit more of the ball, be more of a threat near goal, and perhaps work a bit harder on the defensive side of his game. I see no reason why he couldn't achieve these things.

Bailey should be primed to play regular senior football in 2020. The club has put it's faith in him by giving him a new 2 year contract and they didn't offer that deal for him to play at Footscray. He has also trained with the midfield group in recent seasons so the coaching staff clearly think he is up to it. But it seems obvious the club also thinks he has areas of his game he needs to improve on. Williams strikes me as a player that doesn't lack in confidence and with his skill set, age & experience should be perfectly primed for senior football. The club would be expecting it and so should he. 2020 is a great opportunity for him to seize the chance to be a regular senior player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

Bailey Williams - Wing

Doc, First up terrific analysis and thanks for starting a great thread

He had some challenges this year but I'm certainly hoping the 2 year deal is a sign that we have a spot for him and an incentive for him to knuckle down

Competition for spots will be a fierce contest among many of the players and Williams will have to prove his worth.
    I really like the suggestion to put him on a wing
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he could be a terrific addition to the back line but with Wood, Duryea, Crozier, JJ, Daniel and Suckling already having fair claims for spots on the flanks can we squeeze him in?
    I expect Suckling to spend half his time in rehab and the other half elsewhere.
    I have concerns over Wood - he doesn't strike me as someone who will play long into his 30s and he's 30 next year.
    Daniel and JJ most likely rotate through different positions as well as the back half.

Honestly, only Croz and Duryea are locks from that list for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Doc, First up terrific analysis and thanks for starting a great thread

He had some challenges this year but I'm certainly hoping the 2 year deal is a sign that we have a spot for him and an incentive for him to knuckle down

Competition for spots will be a fierce contest among many of the players and Williams will have to prove his worth.
    I really like the suggestion to put him on a wing
    Does he have the tank and the appetite to work hard enough to play the role?

I like Williams and i agree there is a spot there thats available but will Lipinski or someone else outwork him?

Until he goes to another level physically I fear he will just be a bit part player

Post Thanks / Like

Doc's assessment of Williams value to us on the wing is spot on IMO.

I think he has all the tools and a big enough bag of tricks to be a good, two way player. His long kicking could be/is a weapon offensively, and he robust enough to go man on man if he dragged low.

He crosses paths with a friend of mine in their social scene and from what I've heard he is a good fella, but might want to put some of that energy into getting fitter and looking after his body as a professional athlete. Even a marginal gain on that front could push him into regular senior footy in an important role for us rather than an in/out backfill type of character. I think he can do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Doc, thanks.

One I've been pondering is Mitch Wallis and where he may play his football in 2020. He's a great runner, a neat user and works hard defensively. He's also good in the air for his size. He's also not quick and doesn't have a high hurt factor with his disposal by foot.

His grunt may still come in handy in the midfield against certain teams, while a number of our proposed sides on WOOF have him spending time in the forward line. Both are certainly options where we can leverage his abilities.

I do wonder if he is a player that can transition into a similar role to the one Matt Boyd played for us in the latter stages of his career? A senior player, a good runner and a leader who can play in the back half. Boyd had many of the same limitations that Wallis does, however was an important member of our backline during a very successful period.

15. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like Daniel on the wing. I think his disposal into the forward 50 would hurt sides and with Bruce, Schache, Naughton would love it

Wallis needs to be our lock down guy. He has played this and hurts on the rebound.

I would also like to see Bont just kick at goals all pre season as he could be a Martin type of proble on the forward 50. Smith could easily take more midfield minutes to allow this.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of Williams or anyone going to the wing, I think a lot of fans underrate the modern wing role. It takes a lot of hard work/excellent to be able to cover the territory Hunter does. Not as easy as just having a good peg (which Hunter doesn't) and waiting for the ball to come to you. It's why Hayes got a crack at it.

Would love to see Williams put in the work and have the natural fitness to play the role as he certainly has upside in it.

18. Likes GVGjr, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    In terms of Williams or anyone going to the wing, I think a lot of fans underrate the modern wing role. It takes a lot of hard work/excellent to be able to cover the territory Hunter does. Not as easy as just having a good peg (which Hunter doesn't) and waiting for the ball to come to you. It's why Hayes got a crack at it.

Would love to see Williams put in the work and have the natural fitness to play the role as he certainly has upside in it.
    This.
    In the old days 'you put your best player at CHF'.
    Now you 'put your best two way runner on the wing and beat Holding Your Position into them'.

It's a very undervalued role because much of the unrewarded running isn't captured on television. Lipinski has the tank for it but I presume we want someone quicker.
    If Williams can show any aptitude for covering enough ground there's a spot available for him.