Thought I would start a discussion about which players in our squad should find a new role or re-invent themselves in some way. Or even a player who needs to step up in a role he has shown some ability in. Particularly in positions where the senior team could use some help. The first that springs to my mind is;

Bailey Williams - Wing

I think our team has a 'Position Vacant' for one of the wing spots in the senior team. Lachie Hunter owns one of them but the other hasn't really been claimed in my view. Numerous players have rotated through the other wing position in recent years. The club had a look in the market place and were linked with players like Isaac Smith and Jack Martin as possible recruits for a role of this kind. Time for someone within the club to step up and claim it as his own. I think Bailey Williams has the ability to be that player.

Looking at his career to date he has played 41 games over 4 seasons averaging around 17 disposals per games playing mostly across half back mixing it with stints further up the ground. He showed in several games he was quite capable at the level. He is a great size at 187cm & 85kg and will enter 2020 as a 22yo in his fifth season.

What I like about the 'potential' of Williams is that he has the all round skills to be a good winger at AFL level. He has relatively good speed and endurance. He is a nice kick, a nice mark, & very good disposal efficiency (has a low clanger count). He can win his own ball on the inside and is quite effective on the outside and he likes to attack. So he ticks a few of the boxes.

Williams career so far has in some ways paralleled that of Hunter's in his early years. It took Hunter til his 4th season to claim a regular place in the team. Williams may be a season behind but his disposal numbers have been similar to Hunter in his early years. Hunter also averaging around 17 disposals per game in his first 3 years. They have similar stats on contested and uncontested possessions. To hold down a wing position Williams, like Hunter, would need to win a bit more of the ball, be more of a threat near goal, and perhaps work a bit harder on the defensive side of his game. I see no reason why he couldn't achieve these things.

Bailey should be primed to play regular senior football in 2020. The club has put it's faith in him by giving him a new 2 year contract and they didn't offer that deal for him to play at Footscray. He has also trained with the midfield group in recent seasons so the coaching staff clearly think he is up to it. But it seems obvious the club also thinks he has areas of his game he needs to improve on. Williams strikes me as a player that doesn't lack in confidence and with his skill set, age & experience should be perfectly primed for senior football. The club would be expecting it and so should he. 2020 is a great opportunity for him to seize the chance to be a regular senior player.