Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who should play where in 2020?

Left field suggestion for the wing but... Josh Schache?

He was regularly our no 1 player on game day for kms covered. Has spent his AFL career forward so doesn't have the 'see ball, get ball' mentality of mids turned wingman (he'll hold his position). He's a beautiful field kick so you'd want him delivering the ball to our HFs. Tex Walker looks set to 'do a Richo' and spend time on the wing so we're entering an era of multiple precedents for tall marking wingmen. It instantly makes our forward set up more mobile while still having (potentially) the best contested marking duo in the comp.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

He was regularly our no 1 player on game day for kms covered. Has spent his AFL career forward so doesn't have the 'see ball, get ball' mentality of mids turned wingman (he'll hold his position). He's a beautiful field kick so you'd want him delivering the ball to our HFs. Tex Walker looks set to 'do a Richo' and spend time on the wing so we're entering an era of multiple precedents for tall marking wingmen. It instantly makes our forward set up more mobile while still having (potentially) the best contested marking duo in the comp.
    Great call and think we'll see it happen quite a bit this year.

I think three key forwards can work, but it won't ALWAYS work. Big advocate for a guy like Schache getting up and down the ground and proving a marking option all over the ground. He's a beautiful kick of the footy too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

I'm with you, whether it's high half forward or wing (if there's a difference). The role that Tom Lynch (Cows) excelled at when the Cows were going great guns would be ideal. As you say great lace out kicking I50, bail out long kick out of defence to a mobile tall target, out working the opponents with aerobic capacity and getting down trying to generate 2-4 shots a game. With Schache that's 2-4 goals a game with his accuracy. A luxury most clubs would wish they had. If there's an injury we know he's a good second I50 target, or allows flexibility if we had to throw Naughton into defence for a period. St Kilda trading us Bruce generates a lot of good things for us.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm with you, whether it's high half forward or wing (if there's a difference). The role that Tom Lynch (Cows) excelled at when the Cows were going great guns would be ideal. As you say great lace out kicking I50, bail out long kick out of defence to a mobile tall target, out working the opponents with aerobic capacity and getting down trying to generate 2-4 shots a game. With Schache that's 2-4 goals a game with his accuracy. A luxury most clubs would wish they had. If there's an injury we know he's a good second I50 target, or allows flexibility if we had to throw Naughton into defence for a period. St Kilda trading us Bruce generates a lot of good things for us.
    Yep, he can rest forward when Bruce provides a chop out in the ruck so we don't lose forward structure either. I'm just scratching my head wondering who are the other aerobic beasts on our list that don't play through the centre and can play a mostly outside role.

I'm not sure Bailey Williams/Ed Richards have the tank yet and JJ is a much, much better player behind the ball.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers