Thanks Thanks:  145
Likes Likes:  133
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd say with a bit of planning the fans could have still been engaged as per the original plan or at the very least knowing that they had a bigger session on Friday then some basic and timely communication to the supporters could have saved some for the trip.
    The photo opportunity was a decent outcome but a few people I talked to were still disappointed that they had made the trip

No one wants they players to be risked but it wasn't great for the supporters and if the club really wants to engage supporters they need to do better.
    The session might have been going better or worse than expected and they just kept them out of there longer expected.
    It could just as easily be that Bevo changed his mind about potentially training in front of the media but I don't think I saw anyone from the media there anyway.

As Comrade said, it's just one session in front of some die hard supporters that will get over it quickly.
    It might also be a line in the sand for those sort of days in the longer term.

I was a bit annoyed driving home but I'm over it now. Living in the leafy Eastern Suburbs I certainly wouldn't have left home at 7.30am on a Saturday especially after a brutal week at work for just a photo opportunity so next time I'll try and engage the club on Twitter beforehand

Had the weather been hot I would have expected it but the conditions both weather wise and from a Whitten Oval ground perspective would have perfect for a good old fashioned training session or practice game.

I miss the good old days of being able to report back on here after a training session
    Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    So disappointed.

The guys came out late. Weather was excellent, the turf is in exceptional condition and they did ... walk slowly for exact one round and then started with the fan engagement and signing.

Wasting my time to get up early and getting there to check out the boys for the first time this season.
    I feel for all that attended yesterday and there have been some good points made but the club makes it clear that all these events are subject to change. Is over training the day before a good enough reason?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Bevo certainly has a weird hang up about track watchers. The last time we were thrown out of a session I told Chris Marple that they had exactly 18 months to win a flag or I would point blank refuse to leave a public area that I pay rates for. That was in May 2015 and ( I am happy to say) the players have trained in front of empty houses ever since...
    I wonder if Bevo is the coaching version of Colonel Flagg from MASH fame?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The club puts up a black curtain in the cafe, so you can't see them.
    I say with 100% certainty that the black curtains and kicking out supporters is doing exactly ZERO to prevent opposition analysts from other clubs from getting vision of training - practice matches or otherwise.

As usual, the paranoid people are the ones with some idea of what is really going on. But worrying about fans going along to have a look - from the outer or the cafe - is 100% NOT stopping the spies getting a look and taking vision of training. And I suspect (but can't say with authority) that our own analysts have vision and details of the other 17 sides and are well prepared for the season ahead.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Likes bornadog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I say with 100% certainty that the black curtains and kicking out supporters is doing exactly ZERO to prevent opposition analysts from other clubs from getting vision of training - practice matches or otherwise.

As usual, the paranoid people are the ones with some idea of what is really going on. But worrying about fans going along to have a look - from the outer or the cafe - is 100% NOT stopping the spies getting a look and taking vision of training. And I suspect (but can't say with authority) that our own analysts have vision and details of the other 17 sides and are well prepared for the season ahead.
    Considering the ground is completely open for the majority of its circumference I'm surprised the club even bothers.

After two JLT games a team's gamestyle is largely known anyway especially considering JLT 2 is an audition for round 1.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

The thing you have to weigh up is whether you think benefit of getting a competitive edge over your opposition (which as you say is small to negligible, given every club has ways to spy on every other) is worth the cost of alienating the people who love the club or might be interested in getting closer to it. The club likes to sell itself as a community club but the reality is that the actions don't really seem to match the rhetoric at the base supporter level. Maybe when they analyse why they're falling short of membership targets they can include their capacity to short change supporters in these sort of ways which may seem minor, but add up over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Bring back the biff

8. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The club puts up a black curtain in the cafe, so you can't see them.

I don't understand why they didn't have the big training session on Saturday instead of Friday.
    The old black cutain trick. Well we supporters know where we stand, behind the black curtain.
    It seems ridiculous with the ground so open.
    What's wrong with the kids of today? I would've been hanging off Geelong Rd bridge, climbed a roof or climbed a fence.

Post Thanks / Like

The session might have been going better or worse than expected and they just kept them out of there longer expected.
    It could just as easily be that Bevo changed his mind about potentially training in front of the media but I don't think I saw anyone from the media there anyway.

As Comrade said, it's just one session in front of some die hard supporters that will get over it quickly.
    It might also be a line in the sand for those sort of days in the longer term.

I was a bit annoyed driving home but I'm over it now. Living in the leafy Eastern Suburbs I certainly wouldn't have left home at 7.30am on a Saturday especially after a brutal week at work for just a photo opportunity so next time I'll try and engage the club on Twitter beforehand

Had the weather been hot I would have expected it but the conditions both weather wise and from a Whitten Oval ground perspective would have perfect for a good old fashioned training session or practice game.

I miss the good old days of being able to report back on here after a training session
    We had some excellent reports from the training tragics. We knew what was going on before most of the payers

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    The old black cutain trick. Well we supporters know where we stand, behind the black curtain.
    It seems ridiculous with the ground so open.
    What's wrong with the kids of today? I would've been hanging off Geelong Rd bridge, climbed a roof or climbed a fence.
    WE used to do all that when we were allowed into the ground anyway!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

11. Likes Eastdog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There were some great training reports in the past from both the East West Day and Whitten Oval.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    WE used to do all that when we were allowed into the ground anyway!
    The old days training was late afternoon, so we could sneak down there after school
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Naughton running at full pace in the match sim. Great news.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers