Thanks Thanks:  145
Likes Likes:  133
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    Yeah, they had the NFL Ball throwing around during the lap.

Here are some pics of the players with the fans https://photos.app.goo.gl/i8hJMQhxFvGgWWTS8
    Nice photos Choc. Thanks for sharing.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Weightman still looks like the happiest guy in the AFL.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that’s really poor of the club.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    That's pretty BS to me. If you know you have an open training session coming up the next day, why would you have a big session knowing it would result in not training the day after? The people who made that decision knew what they were doing, knew what it would mean and still decided to do it.
    Is it the marketing department not talking to the training department, or vice versa?

I get that managing player loads is the highest priority because if they don't perform during the season there will be no fans, but as an exercise in marketing that is below amateur.

Or does Bevo have some weird hangup about spies at training?

That is absolute crap. Something broke down internally and now it's the fans (and particularly the youngest ones) that pay the price.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

5. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm torn as it's not great from a PR/fan engagement perspective, but on the other hand, all I care about is onfield results and I'd imagine most kids attend an open training to grab an autograph and a photo op which it seems was still accomodated.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm torn as it's not great from a PR/fan engagement perspective, but on the other hand, all I care about is onfield results and I'd imagine most kids attend an open training to grab an autograph and a photo op which it seems was still accomodated.
    The thing is us older ones go to watch them train, so why can’t they call it a meet the players day instead?
    Or if they could get out that training is cancelled couldn’t they add that players would be available for photos and autographs ?
    Definitely not handled well at all, in every way it’s a train wreck with planning training and public relations.
    I wonder if our President is impresse, the board does so much to get members, Baines and his 50,000 aim then this amateur hour.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Definitely not handled well at all, in every way it’s a train wreck with planning training and public relations.
    I would say that is pushing it a little.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    That's pretty BS to me. If you know you have an open training session coming up the next day, why would you have a big session knowing it would result in not training the day after? The people who made that decision knew what they were doing, knew what it would mean and still decided to do it.
    Yeah it's pretty poor. It's OK for me-I live around the corner from the ground but I wouldn't be this understanding if I'd driven from the other side of town after promising my kids they would see training. If that had happened I would be ropable and I wouldn't be leaving without some answers and a grovelling apology. The grovelling apology would cover the next time they get a bright idea like that-put some thought into it and it's not such a bright idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    Is it the marketing department not talking to the training department, or vice versa?

I get that managing player loads is the highest priority because if they don't perform during the season there will be no fans, but as an exercise in marketing that is below amateur.

Or does Bevo have some weird hangup about spies at training?

That is absolute crap. Something broke down internally and now it's the fans (and particularly the youngest ones) that pay the price.
    Bevo certainly has a weird hang up about track watchers. The last time we were thrown out of a session I told Chris Marple that they had exactly 18 months to win a flag or I would point blank refuse to leave a public area that I pay rates for. That was in May 2015 and ( I am happy to say) the players have trained in front of empty houses ever since...
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say with a bit of planning the fans could have still been engaged as per the original plan or at the very least knowing that they had a bigger session on Friday then some basic and timely communication to the supporters could have saved some for the trip.
    The photo opportunity was a decent outcome but a few people I talked to were still disappointed that they had made the trip

No one wants they players to be risked but it wasn't great for the supporters and if the club really wants to engage supporters they need to do better.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Silly question I guess - but is Whitten oval closed for normal training? I live other side of town so never go - but from memory you can see the ground from the cafe and merch store - so I’m guessing anyone could watch any outdoor training anytime?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Silly question I guess - but is Whitten oval closed for normal training? I live other side of town so never go - but from memory you can see the ground from the cafe and merch store - so I’m guessing anyone could watch any outdoor training anytime?
    You can still see training from time to time. It's the practice matches that they seem to want kept in house

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that is pushing it a little.
    I don’t think so the actual day was stuffed up completely, communication and planning, letting down the fans, tell me where they got it right?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I don’t think so the actual day was stuffed up completely, communication and planning, letting down the fans, tell me where they got it right?
    Doesn't sound like they got it right anywhere. But it's a training session gone wrong.

Plenty of worse things happening in the world that I'd describe as a train wreck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    The club puts up a black curtain in the cafe, so you can't see them.

I don't understand why they didn't have the big training session on Saturday instead of Friday.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The club puts up a black curtain in the cafe, so you can't see them.

I don't understand why they didn't have the big training session on Saturday instead of Friday.
    The session might have been going better or worse than expected and they just kept them out of there longer expected.
    It could just as easily be that Bevo changed his mind about potentially training in front of the media but I don't think I saw anyone from the media there anyway.

As Comrade said, it's just one session in front of some die hard supporters that will get over it quickly.
    It might also be a line in the sand for those sort of days in the longer term.

I was a bit annoyed driving home but I'm over it now. Living in the leafy Eastern Suburbs I certainly wouldn't have left home at 7.30am on a Saturday especially after a brutal week at work for just a photo opportunity so next time I'll try and engage the club on Twitter beforehand

Had the weather been hot I would have expected it but the conditions both weather wise and from a Whitten Oval ground perspective would have perfect for a good old fashioned training session or practice game.

I miss the good old days of being able to report back on here after a training session

17. Likes Daughter of the West, Eastdog liked this post