Thanks Thanks:  145
Likes Likes:  133
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I'm tipping the club told Beveridge that they want the intraclub to be open for the fans, and he said no way, so they said ok just for the members then.
    I just want to know why he cares so much? I am at the venue where West Coast train several times each week (interpret that however you like) and fans are 99.9% allowed in for training...including a full-blown match sim last week. Like...who cares? I 100% don't understand what he is so worried about. But then, whilst I understood the breach of trust issues around the whole 'Talia incident', at the time (and to this day) I just didn't understand his belief that the sharing of game-plan info cost us the game. No-one playing on Betts in the first q cost us the game...unless the plan was not to match him up and that was supposed to be a surprise...and because he WASN'T surprised is why he ran around and kicked goals? But if he hadn't known the plan was to leave him unattended he would have been SO surprised he wouldn't have kicked any goals?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be inclined to think it's a ploy to get people to sign up for access more so than a compromise between a belligerent coach and management, but you never know. As MJP has previously said anyone who really wants to see or know what we're doing can if they want to, the black curtain at the café would be a signal of intent more than anything else.

This sits reasonably well with me, it's nice to give committed members access related privileges that non-members don't enjoy. It's a bit like giving coterie members higher privileges that regular members don't enjoy. Recognition of a higher commitment isn't a bad thing, and this could be a small token of that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's great to have a members only session. You want to be part of it, sign up, put your money where your mouth is.

I have always said membership is not just for discount attendance at matches, membership is being part of a CLUB.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think it's great to have a members only session. You want to be part of it, sign up, put your money where your mouth is.

I have always said membership is not just for discount attendance at matches, membership is being part of a CLUB.
    Whilst I agree about membership being part of the club getting members at this time of year is of far more importance !!! Why not members free and non members a gold coin donation that goes to one of our programs??? I don't as rule attend these open sessions anyway but any chance we get to advertise for memberships should be taken surely??
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Whilst I agree about membership being part of the club getting members at this time of year is of far more importance !!! Why not members free and non members a gold coin donation that goes to one of our programs??? I don't as rule attend these open sessions anyway but any chance we get to advertise for memberships should be taken surely??

This is a good way to say to those non members, unless you become part of the club, this is the sort of thing you miss out on, at the same time we reward the members.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I just want to know why he cares so much? I am at the venue where West Coast train several times each week (interpret that however you like) and fans are 99.9% allowed in for training...including a full-blown match sim last week. Like...who cares? I 100% don't understand what he is so worried about.
    Oh i completely agree. While i think he is a good coach, Beveridge has some really weird ways of handling things and i have no idea why he is so secretive of stuff that will be exposed by halftime of the first practice game. We arent going to lose games because someone has seen us train a gamestyle.

It's almost as if he likes removing the playing group from the fans. Maybe its to help foster more of a tight knit vibe from the playing group or something but whatever it is it's only worked 2 seasons max and otherwise has just been frustrating from a fans pov.

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Yeah this isn't the place to do it imo.

This is an easy win. Invite everyone, have the membership tent set up and focus on using this to create some buzz and drag those guys on the fence (both figuratively and literally) in. No one is going to sign up for a membership because otherwise they can't get into an intraclub, but i have no doubt that if non members come we will see some of them sign up.

We've sucked at grabbing the easy wins with our supporter group pretty much ever since the day after the premiership imo and this just seems like another needless decision that in no way benefits us.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While i think he is a good coach, Beveridge has some really weird ways of handling things .
    You are just speculating that it was Bevo's idea re training.

This is an easy win. Invite everyone, have the membership tent set up and focus on using this to create some buzz and drag those guys on the fence (both figuratively and literally) in. No one is going to sign up for a membership because otherwise they can't get into an intraclub, but i have no doubt that if non members come we will see some of them sign up.
    My personal opinion is I am sick of pandering to non members practically begging them to join up. Either you are in or out *!*!*!*! them

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst that's true, there has been a clear change in terms of training access since Bevo took over in 2015 so either he's behind it or it's just a real coincidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Whilst that's true, there has been a clear change in terms of training access since Bevo took over in 2015 so either he's behind it or it's just a real coincidence.
    Is this any different to other clubs?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah on this intraclub, not on a lot of other stuff.
    My personal opinion is I am sick of pandering to non members practically begging them to join up. Either you are in or out *!*!*!*! them
    Is this really where we draw the line though?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah on this intraclub, not on a lot of other stuff.
    That is what I was referring to.

Is this really where we draw the line though?
    I have been a continues member since 1974 and every year it is the same old story.

Post Thanks / Like

So we're trying out the Joe Biden school of winning over potential supporters then?

16. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t mind this. Realistically, how many non-members are going to roll up if you make it open to everyone?

You make members feel like they are getting exclusive content and more value and you may entice a few to sign up earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    So we're trying out the Joe Biden school of winning over potential supporters then?
    No we are rewarding members. Got to get some benefit from being a member.

19. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No we are rewarding members. Got to get some benefit from being a member.
    Like match day entry and merchandise?

Look I have no problem with some members only events or whatever as an extra benefit but you specifically said "My personal opinion is I am sick of pandering to non members practically begging them to join up. Either you are in or out *!*!*!*! them." Which is very much about non-members more than members.

I think a pre-season practice match is the perfect type of event and the perfect time of the season to be trying to convince people wavering about buying a membership to join up, remind them how great the finish to last year was. It's also an excuse for people intending to buy a membership to head down to the club and do it while they're there.

'*!*!*!*! 'em' is hardly going to turn the club into a Collingwood or Richmond. We don't get that luxury.