Thanks Thanks:  145
Likes Likes:  133
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training - 2020

Thanks for the updates GVGjr and HD, couldn't get there myself due to family commitments in Shepparton.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Happy Days

Even with 3 of our better players missing because they played last night and with Naughton injured and a number of others on restricted duties the training session in particular and then the practice game were a strong indicator that we are in for a very good season. It's a shame that we didn't have a bigger attendance to the session as it was well catered for and the ground and weather conditions were perfect.

There has been some subtle changes in the way we move the ball and the skill execution was impressive

Restricted duties players included: Vandermeer, Garcia, Liberatore, Cordy, Duryea, Richards and Jong with Wood joining in a bit later but still playing in the practice match and of course Naughton wasn't out there.
    English also joined the group before during the extended warm up and was working closely with Chris Bell. I suspect there might have been doing some work to minimise some hamstring tightness

There were also a number of VFL listed players that were helping make up the numbers. Josh Kellett was playing and I think Siversen, McComb, Trusler, Short and Drummond might have been in the mix. I think I've missed a couple of other names as well

We used 4 ruckman which is no surprise, English and Sweet were the main rucks with Trengove and Lewis Young also given a decent go.

A lot of the younger players caught the eye with West and B.Smith impressive and Lachie Young playing on the likes of Bruce and Weightman proving he is one of the more versatile options and that he can play on a wide range of opponents.

Forgotten men like Lynch, who played off a HBF, Greene who played forward did some nice things although Greene missed an easy enough goal early in the game. Cavarra was impressive at times and has really lifted his work rate.

As Happy Days mentioned, Wallis was in tip top form, kicked goals and performed well in the midfield. Schache has gone to another level and I hope he can go on with it. Happy Days also mentioned that Bruce spilled marks he should have taken and English has filled out well so we can't hide behind the "wait until he needs to fill out" tag anymore.

Suckling played off the back line and took a few of the kick-ins. For a practice game he really gets stuck into himself when Wallis kicked a goal on him.

Gowers work hard and I sense the penny has dropped that he needs to kick it up a notch to earn his way into the senior side.
    Keath uses the ball very well and McLean popped up here and there and Daniel played without his helmet.

Butler is a composed user of the ball and reads the play very well while Weightman fumbled the ball a few times but does catch the eye especially when he just missed that huge grab. Bailey Williams appeared to start on a HBF but might have moved onto a wing. He kicked the ball into the forward 50 a couple of times.

I think we are primed for a good season so strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If Wallis can consistently gives us a bit of what Clay Smith delivered in the '16 finals series we'll be very well served.

That he's worked so hard to diversify what he brings to the table for the good of the team - and frankly his survival in it - says plenty.

Hope he bobs up with a lazy thirty or so this year.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

4. Likes Dry Rot, azabob, The Doctor, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    If Wallis can consistently gives us a bit of what Clay Smith delivered in the '16 finals series we'll be very well served.

That he's worked so hard to diversify what he brings to the table for the good of the team - and frankly his survival in it - says plenty.

Excellent observation. I like the Clay Smith comparison if he can match his intensity.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He’s a different sort of player to Clay. His forward work reminds me more of Gia in the way he always takes better position with the ball in the air. He isn’t as clean when the ball hits the ground, but if he was as good as Gia at that then he would have been a forward the whole time and we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

I don’t think him, Lloyd and McLean can all play together.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah agree. The challenge for Wallis is once the rage is over and he gets comfortable IMO. With his skill set he needs to accept that he has to play on edge week in and week out then he will become a legit best 22 player. From the outside he looks a real leader love to see him succeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reports GVGjr and Happy Days. Much appreciated.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I had to work so thanks for the reports.

Sam Lloyd is really a Tim English fan isn't he?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks to Gary and Happy Days for the reports. I took some photos for people who could not attend to have a glance.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xnexPb9vBseoYVjn7

Richard, Cordy and Jong did the early running along the boundary line.
    Few guys including Libba are doing work as a group (rehab group?!). They also did a bit of 4 vs 2 (soccer style) but with kicking the footy.

9:40 the main group came out. Warm up, Skills practice and on the move. Like Gary mentioned, the drill was impressive.
    10:10 they completed the training and started with the Intra match.

Love Wallis and English today. Both were great.

It was a really enjoyable Saturday morning and yeah, we should have marketed this better and the gate should have been wide open for every fans to join.
    Last edited by choconmientay; 01-03-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Great photos choc. Much appreciated.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pics choc, great work.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Thanks for the pics choc, great work.
    It is so great that we have WOOF.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot for the updates guys! Really interesting reading and news/updates we can’t get anywhere else. Appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reports greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder when the next open training is on.
    Last edited by bornadog; 01-03-2020 at 01:53 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.