Thanks Thanks:  145
Likes Likes:  133
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The old days training was late afternoon, so we could sneak down there after school
    They were great days-I virtually grew up kicking the footy around the terraces at Whitten Oval. One day they got a bunch of us to shoot handballs at Kelvin Templeton-you know me I'm an upfront kind of guy, ask me to have a go at something and I will give it a try and I don't exactly do the shrinking violet thing but this day I was so nervous that I managed to hit KT on the back of the head with the third or fourth handball i tried which was a pretty good effort because I was standing directly in front of him!

In fact I am pretty sure that was the day I decided that nerves just held you back and if you get an opportunity to do something like that then take it. That's how I met Joey Ramone, I saw him sitting outside Festival Hall as we went past on the train so we got off at North Melbourne, barged up to the man and said "Giddaye" we ended up speaking for an hour or so.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes Templeton31, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    He’s parts Colonel Flag, Hawkeye and Henry Blake.

Flag is actually a good call. You never know who your going to get.
    Gary is a huge Colonel Flag fan. I was more of a John Tuttle man myself when it came to made up MASH members but Flag was pretty funny too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Someone on Facebook made a good point - why is there a VFL jumper in existence with no. 4 on it? Surely there is no way the Bont will ever play there again!
    Has he ever played reserves footy?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes his first year I think he played 3 or 4 and that was it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I have fond memories of recording the VFL match of the Day from up here in Canberra and watching the Bont kick 4 or 5 in the first quarter against Geelong at Kardinia Park. Dont reckon he played too many VFL games after that one.

Post Thanks / Like

According to the VFL website Bont played just 2 games in early 2014 against Williamstown and Sandringham. Named as our best in both games, kicked 4 goals against Sandy.

Link

Post Thanks / Like

He definitely played in Geelong. I remember his handballing was on a different level. He was doing stuff I'd never seen before.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    He definitely played in Geelong. I remember his handballing was on a different level. He was doing stuff I'd never seen before.
    In 2014 Bont played in Geelong in the AFL team (and picked up a Brownlow vote), VFL sides played in the curtain raiser on the same day.

VFL

AFL

Post Thanks / Like

According to the VFL website Bont played just 2 games in early 2014 against Williamstown and Sandringham. Named as our best in both games, kicked 4 goals against Sandy.

Link
    Hmmm the game in Geelong was a thing. Would it have made a difference if he was playing for Werribee or Willi? Maybe we were aligned with them then.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2014 Bont played in Geelong in the AFL team (and picked up a Brownlow vote), VFL sides played in the curtain raiser on the same day.

VFL

AFL
    Wow some of those names.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Wow some of those names.
    I had to check some trivial detail about the 2014 VFL grand final. I'd forgotten what a great day that was and some of the names in the team.

I did genuinely think at the time that would be the limit of our premiership ambitions and I was OK with following a dominant VFL team.

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I had to check some trivial detail about the 2014 VFL grand final. I'd forgotten what a great day that was and some of the names in the team.

I did genuinely think at the time that would be the limit of our premiership ambitions and I was OK with following a dominant VFL team.
    I remember feeling the same way when we won the Pte-season flag. That was then this is now after tasting success in 2016 I'm hungry for more!!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    I remember feeling the same way when we won the Pte-season flag. That was then this is now after tasting success in 2016 I'm hungry for more!!!
    I know it's not really the point but it's been amazing the turn around in the club since we added the VFL team.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to both those recent VFL grand finals. Good day out I had at both. A lot of happy fellow supporters at Docklands when I attended the 2016 VFL Grand Final after we won the great prelim the day before.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I know it's not really the point but it's been amazing the turn around in the club since we added the VFL team.
    Great to have our own stand alone team after affiliating with Williamstown and Werribee in the past. Love this club. Really impressed with our community work that we do along with the supporter groups East West Club most notably who do the best they can for our fans out east/south east. A great examples are the sons and duaghters of the west programs which have extended further out I believe the sons of the west now running in the Whittlesea council and the East West Club who I hear are trying to get sons of the west out our way.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"