Thanks Thanks:  145
Likes Likes:  133
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preseason Training - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Went to both those recent VFL grand finals. Good day out I had at both. A lot of happy fellow supporters at Docklands when I attended the 2016 VFL Grand Final after we won the great prelim the day before.
    That was comical in the sense Melbourne were the best team by a mile that year but fell for Jongs tape the wrong shoulder trick with which they focused on and lost the game. Did Jong go on to win the BOG medal that year ? , I remember he played a blinder and they attacked him at the end of one quarter.
    Bring back the biff

2. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore!, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton31 View Post
    Hmmm the game in Geelong was a thing. Would it have made a difference if he was playing for Werribee or Willi? Maybe we were aligned with them then.
    The first year of the Footscray VFL team was 2014 which coincided with Bont joining the club in the 2013 draft, so he never played for Williamstown (Werribee alignment ended years earlier).

Either the online records are wrong or you are merging a couple of different memories into one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    That was comical in the sense Melbourne were the best team by a mile that year but fell for Jongs tape the wrong shoulder trick with which they focused on and lost the game. Did Jong go on to win the BOG medal that year ? , I remember he played a blinder and they attacked him at the end of one quarter.
    Yep Jong won the Norm Goss (BOG) medal in 2016 and Brett Goodes got it in 2014.

5. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    That's one of those stories that will grow with the telling I reckon until it's an AFL Grand Final, and Jongy had bits of medical tape basically holding him together when he ran and kicked the sealer with his 57th possie.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Thanks MrMahatma thanked for this post
    Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore!, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The first year of the Footscray VFL team was 2014 which coincided with Bont joining the club in the 2013 draft, so he never played for Williamstown (Werribee alignment ended years earlier).

Either the online records are wrong or you are merging a couple of different memories into one?
    Very delicately put Axeman. Thanks for your research - I'm concerned your latter explanation might be correct!!!

Post Thanks / Like

In 2014 Bont played in Geelong in the AFL team (and picked up a Brownlow vote), VFL sides played in the curtain raiser on the same day.

VFL

AFL
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Wow some of those names.
    Best on for Geeong was a bloke by the name of Joel Hamling.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep Jong won the Norm Goss (BOG) medal in 2016 and Brett Goodes got it in 2014.
    Jong could have easily won both. He had a great GF in 2014 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's one of those stories that will grow with the telling I reckon until it's an AFL Grand Final, and Jongy had bits of medical tape basically holding him together when he ran and kicked the sealer with his 57th possie.
    It is one of the funniest football stories ever. The irony being that there were twitter users that picked up on it watching the coverage but no one from Casey, player, coach or otherwise, ever managed to cotton on to it.

The man won best on ground with his bad shoulder NOT taped up at all.

11. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Jong could have easily won both. He had a great GF in 2014 as well.

It is one of the funniest football stories ever. The irony being that there were twitter users that picked up on it watching the coverage but no one from Casey, player, coach or otherwise, ever managed to cotton on to it.

The man won best on ground with his bad shoulder NOT taped up at all.

Yep it's all "ho ho ho wasnt it funny" but Jongy was running around without his shoulder bandage holding his dislocated shoulder in place.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep it's all "ho ho ho wasnt it funny" but Jongy was running around without his shoulder bandage holding his dislocated shoulder in place.
    I am pretty sure it was a broken collarbone, not a dislocated shoulder. Wouldn't really require taping, just don't want blokes smashing into it all day. That kinda makes the tape smokescreen working even funnier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I am pretty sure it was a broken collarbone, not a dislocated shoulder. Wouldn't really require taping, just don't want blokes smashing into it all day. That kinda makes the tape smokescreen working even funnier.
    If he didn’t have the backing of every bulldog supporter before then he definitely did after it , a sad but happy story if that makes sense, remember he was screaming to try and get in the AFL grand final team. He did everything he could to be named in it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Training in the rain today.

Is that a new tatt for Libba? It's hard to keep up. Why is he anti bacon and eggs?

16. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Training in the rain today.

Is that a new tatt for Libba? It's hard to keep up. Why is he anti bacon and eggs?
    It would take some Jungian analysis to interpret Libba's tatts.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...atch-confirmed

Members-only practice match confirmed

The Western Bulldogs will host a member exclusive intra-club match at VU Whitten Oval on Saturday 29 February.

As preparations for the season ramp up, Bulldogs members will get an inside look at plans for the year ahead.

The team will play two halves of approximately 30 minutes, in between their two Marsh Community Series matches.

Members will be required to show their card to gain entry.

The Bulldogs Shop and Barkers Café will be open from 8am, with the session expected to begin around 9.15am.

A 20 per cent discount storewide* will be available for members in the Bulldogs Shop on the day, plus a 20 per cent discount online for 24 hours.

Memberships will be available for purchase via the ticket booth, with special merchandise deals, activities for kids and a post-match boundary signing session also available on the day.

WHERE: VU Whitten Oval
    WHEN: Saturday 29 February
    MATCH DETAILS: Approximately 9.15am, two halves

*Some exclusions apply
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

19. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Members-only practice match confirmed

The Western Bulldogs will host a member exclusive intra-club match at VU Whitten Oval on Saturday 29 February.
    I am:

a) A member
    b) Interstate

I guess ultimately that means zero *$&#$'s given...but why would this be members only?

If you want people to show up and sign up, wouldn't you throw the gates open, get some bouncy castles, fire up the band...you know, get a bit of interest and excitement about the place?

I have a membership based business so 100% understand that there are some things for members and some things that are 'open' but once the decision is made to open the gates, aren't the gates open and the costs sunk? Why not try and get a few MORE members out of the whole thing? Or is the thought process that people will be so desperate to see an intraclub game that they will sign-up in order to do so? If so, I think that is very flawed logic...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

21. Likes Mofra, strebla, choconmientay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I am:

a) A member
    b) Interstate

I guess ultimately that means zero *$&#$'s given...but why would this be members only?

If you want people to show up and sign up, wouldn't you throw the gates open, get some bouncy castles, fire up the band...you know, get a bit of interest and excitement about the place?

I have a membership based business so 100% understand that there are some things for members and some things that are 'open' but once the decision is made to open the gates, aren't the gates open and the costs sunk? Why not try and get a few MORE members out of the whole thing? Or is the thought process that people will be so desperate to see an intraclub game that they will sign-up in order to do so? If so, I think that is very flawed logic...
    Could it be as simple as a compromise between Beveridge and the club.

As we know by how empty the pre-season thread is of anything that could be deemed "exciting", Beveridge would rather get matching chest tattoos with Jake Stringer than let some random passerby see Riley Garcia run laps of Whitten oval, let alone expose a full blown intraclub match to the unwashed public.

And the club has no doubt gotten sick of spending the last 5 years telling supporters that they aren't allowed passed the black curtain (plus they kind of put everyone offside with the whole "open training" session that was a lap of the ground and then texta work).

I'm tipping the club told Beveridge that they want the intraclub to be open for the fans, and he said no way, so they said ok just for the members then.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right