Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  38
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs Past Players

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Gee Cam Wight has finally put on some bulk... fair sized unit judging by the photo.
    To old for a comeback? We waited and waited and wouldn't you know it? Only 10 years after he retires he bulks out!!!!!!!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    That was the wet weather game wasn't it Two dogs ?? My memory was that game as played at the mcg
    Not from memory. We sat behind the goals Beazer was kicking to (as we usually did-we'd go from end to end at the old suburban grounds) and I am pretty sure that was the day Beasley (Sam Newman called him ''the pink and shell like'' Simon Beasley on World of Sport the nest day) cleaned up Keith Greig and sent him home in the back of an ambulance.

3. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Cam Wright barracks for Hawthorn. Not sure how “rusted on” as Bulldogs some of these guys are, tbh!!
    Given the dark places he found himself in , it's good to see him reconnecting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Looking at our all time goalkicking match records shows how remarkable Simon Beasley was. Of the top 12 goal scorers in VFL matches for Footscray (9 goals and above) that Beasley has 8 of those spots!

Western Bulldogs - Most Goals in a Match
    Game records

1 Templeton, Kelvin 15 9 1978 1956-09-30 191Kg 191cm St. Kilda Sat-01-Jul R13 1978 Western Oval
    2 Beasley, Simon 12 3 1985 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Melbourne Sat-06-Jul R15 1985 Western Oval
    3 Beasley, Simon 12 3 1985 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Richmond Sat-03-Aug R18 1985 VFL Park
    4 Beasley, Simon 12 4 1982 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Geelong Sat-10-Jul R16 1982 Western Oval
    5 Beasley, Simon 11 4 1984 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Richmond Sat-31-Mar R1 1984 Western Oval
    6 Beasley, Simon 10 6 1987 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Brisbane Sun-23-Aug R21 1987 Carrara
    7 Grove, Ron 10 — 1946 1919-06-05 185Kg 185cm Melbourne Sat-18-May R5 1946 Punt Road
    8 Rait, Alan 10 — 1933 1908-11-09 183Kg 183cm Carlton Sat-17-Jun R8 1933 Princes Park
    9 Morrison, Alby 10 — 1928 1909-01-29 183Kg 183cm Hawthorn Sat-18-Aug R17 1928 Glenferrie Oval
    10 Beasley, Simon 9 1 1988 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Melbourne Sat-13-Aug R20 1988 M.C.G.
    11 Beasley, Simon 9 5 1986 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Melbourne Sat-16-Aug R20 1986 Western Oval
    12 Beasley, Simon 9 2 1985 1956-07-26 195Kg 195cm Carlton Sat-30-Mar R1 1985 Princes Park
    I looked throuh the pieman's records one day and i think he'd kicked 7 or more goals on 12 occasions. Unsure whether he backed himself....

Post Thanks / Like

Simon Beasley was a great player. Forget about his pasty complexion and middle-of-the-road physique he was a very courageous footballer who never shirked an issue. And remember this: as our go to forward he was a marked man, often having to battle a full-back and a resting ruckman. He was a terrific lead and had superb timing, strong hands and was a great long kick who could boot drop punt goals from beyond the 50m arc. I loved The Pieman. He was a great clubman too.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

7. Likes Doc26, Mofra, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    I looked throuh the pieman's records one day and i think he'd kicked 7 or more goals on 12 occasions. Unsure whether he backed himself....
    He kicked more goals in the 1980s (575 I think) than any other AFL player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    There were some huge guys in those days.
    *!*!*!*!ing massive!

10. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Simon Beasley was a great player. Forget about his pasty complexion and middle-of-the-road physique he was a very courageous footballer who never shirked an issue. And remember this: as our go to forward he was a marked man, often having to battle a full-back and a resting ruckman. He was a terrific lead and had superb timing, strong hands and was a great long kick who could boot drop punt goals from beyond the 50m arc. I loved The Pieman. He was a great clubman too.
    He was known for being hopeless once the ball hit the ground though.
    Incredible reader of the flight and his body use was amazing.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you are right Ledge. I reckon 97% of his goals came from set shots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Not from memory. We sat behind the goals Beazer was kicking to (as we usually did-we'd go from end to end at the old suburban grounds) and I am pretty sure that was the day Beasley (Sam Newman called him ''the pink and shell like'' Simon Beasley on World of Sport the nest day) cleaned up Keith Greig and sent him home in the back of an ambulance.
    Oh ok I wasn't at that game for some reason I was thinking about the 9 against Melbourne I'm sure
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Oh ok I wasn't at that game for some reason I was thinking about the 9 against Melbourne I'm sure
    I just looked it up and I had the right place but the wrong. It was against Geelong! Round 2 1984.

8 out of a team total of 9 goals. Kaiser *Royal kicked the other one.

*Met some blokes who played junior footy with Brian Royal and they told me that his nickname was never 'choco' (as in Chocolate Royal) but it was always Kaiser (as in the German for king-Brian was the king they all said.)

Post Thanks / Like

I remember going to windy hill for Simons first game and my football coach (bombers supporter) made a bet that if Beasley kicked a goal he would run a lap naked, Simon took a Mark close to goal and we all thought this was going to be fun, he missed and didn’t manage to kick a goal at all in his first game.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I remember going to windy hill for Simons first game and my football coach (bombers supporter) made a bet that if Beasley kicked a goal he would run a lap naked, Simon took a Mark close to goal and we all thought this was going to be fun, he missed and didn’t manage to kick a goal at all in his first game.
    Do you remember that everyone was saying that we had paid a fortune (and the tranfer fee from his WA club was about $200 000) for a dud after his first few games? It wasn't the media back then it was the bloke standing next to you at games that you got feedback from, and the feedback was instantaneous and brutal. If you reckon that social media was bad for mental health nowadays then try going back 30 years and have 20 000 people all calling you useless at the same time.

Even after the back end of the season where he kicked where he kicked 58 goals in the last 10 games to finish with 82 the average punter in the outer was saying "Yeah, nah, he's alright but the hype on him was much bigger than this"

That day he steered through his hundredth goal in 1985 he must have thought "Yeah, up your arse the lot of yours!"

17. Likes strebla, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After that I sent Beasley the only letter I've ever sent to a player. I told him he could be great with the supply coming from Hawkins, Royal and co. if he could get his kicking free of nerves!
    He ended up being one of the most accurate of all times.

19. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at that game too Ledge. It was a most inauspicious debut by The Pieman and we were badly beaten. I've always hated Essendon supporters.