Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  38
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs Past Players

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I have seen him at the Flinders Hotel a couple of times NBP also Alan Mannix.
    I spoke to him once years ago in a pub in Sorrento I think it was. I was on a footy trip, had been drinking all day and was probably incoherent, yet Bernie was nice enough to have a chat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    My grand father really didn't rate Bernie or I should say in fairness to him that he tried many times to tell me that Bernie was nothing compared to Whitten but I stood my ground saying that Bernie was one of the most talented players going around.
    He could play CHB, CHF or FF and I've written a few times how he was used in the ruck with impact from time to time.
    He was everything in a footballer I could have ever dreamed to be. Tall, versatile and the longest kick I've seen and he would still be a significant force in the AFL today if he was coming through the junior pathway.

There have been just a handful of Bulldog players that really caught my eye when I was young. Quinlan was the standout and Templeton had an amazing period as one of the competition premier forwards.
    Sadly like so many others during that time most of them failed to complete their footy careers with us.

Seeing Quinlan and Templeton together in that group photo is just awesome for me.

I genuinely feel privileged to have watched Quinlan in the red, white and blue and it's a shame that he probably played his best football at Fitzroy.
    Roy Evans who Captained Footscray to our first ever Finals appearance in the 1930’s and later became our Reserves Coach said that he loved to see Quinlan in action with the Dogs because of his outstanding skills. It was great that he should go on to share the Brownlow Medal with close mate Barry Round.

3. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I have seen him at the Flinders Hotel a couple of times NBP also Alan Mannix.
    Yes saw him at The National Golf, Cape Schank. Living the good life. Legend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I can remember if Bernie got a kick or took a mark early in the game the whole crowd would think "Beauty, he's on today" and stand back and watch the show.
    There was also the reciprocal, my young innocent self was shocked to hear the crowd give Bernie the Bronx cheer in defeat.

Post Thanks / Like

Bernie booted 9.5 playing CHF against Carlton at Princes Park. Also booted the longest ever kick on WOS Champion Kick - an 85 yard torpedo. He was a great player. Went into the ruck for the Roys in the last quarter of a Final and booted 4 goals to nearly win them the game. Super player.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Yes. Cam Wight far back next to Moz.
    Cam Wright barracks for Hawthorn. Not sure how “rusted on” as Bulldogs some of these guys are, tbh!!

Post Thanks / Like

Alvey follows Carlton
    Didn’t even play for them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Cam Wright barracks for Hawthorn. Not sure how “rusted on” as Bulldogs some of these guys are, tbh!!
    Yet his dad played at Footscray and Collingwood.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Alvey follows Carlton
    Didn’t even play for them
    Jim Buckley played in 3 premierships for Carlton but he is a dedicated Richmond supporter.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone heard of the whereabouts of Bulldog stalwart John Jillard. EJ aside, John was my favourite footballer back when I was a kid. Courageous, skilful, a beautiful drop kick and ultra reliable defender. Also had a soft spot for our back pocket players, Charlie Evans, Ian Bryant, Gordon Casey, Ray Walker, Terry Wheeler etc. Maybe, our teams being what they were, it was just that the backline had a few more opportunities than the forwards to strut their stuff.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Has anyone heard of the whereabouts of Bulldog stalwart John Jillard. EJ aside, John was my favourite footballer back when I was a kid. Courageous, skilful, a beautiful drop kick and ultra reliable defender. Also had a soft spot for our back pocket players, Charlie Evans, Ian Bryant, Gordon Casey, Ray Walker, Terry Wheeler etc. Maybe, our teams being what they were, it was just that the backline had a few more opportunities than the forwards to strut their stuff.
    John Jillard died in the late '90s I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

John Jillard died in the late '90s I reckon.
    Thank-you Twodogs, I wasn't aware that John had passed away. Our current and future #25's have a big jumper to fill.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Here is the Wikipedia article

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jillard
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Here is the Wikipedia article

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jillard
    Cheers Easty. He was only 58 when he died.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Easty. He was only 58 when he died.
    Too young
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"