Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs to exit gaming industry

https://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/new...ming-industry-

Bulldogs to exit gaming industry
    Nov 20, 2019 8:52AM

The Western Bulldogs Football Club today announced it has finalised terms for the sale of its gaming operations in an agreement struck with the Melbourne Racing Club (MRC).

The MRC has agreed to purchase the licences for Club Leeds in Footscray and the Peninsula Club in Dromana, inclusive of 65 gaming machines across both venues. The terms of the sale have been agreed by both parties, with settlements to occur over coming weeks and once all required regulatory approvals are obtained.

Divesting itself from gaming machine revenue has been a long-term priority for the Club, and an important strategic decision as it plans for an exciting redevelopment of the Whitten Oval precinct.

“This is a landmark moment for the Western Bulldogs – the day we officially formalise exiting the gaming industry,” said Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains.

“Everyone in the organisation has worked extremely hard to turn our balance sheet around over the last few years, working down significant debt to emerge in the best financial position we have ever been.

“The financial settlement with the MRC puts us in a strong position to build on our plans to grow our revenue sources and invest in our core programming and infrastructure, including pursuing more positive social outcomes through further supporting the incredible work of the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation.

“With the ongoing support of the Daniel Andrews State Government, the AFL and the City of Maribyrnong, we are looking forward to progressing our plans for the continued redevelopment of our home at VU Whitten Oval, transforming it into a vibrant football and community hub for the people of the west.

“With an ambitious vision to achieve 50,000 members for the first time in the Club’s history, we think there’s never been a more exciting time for our army of Bulldogs fans to get on board.

“In achieving this outcome, we thank our Board for their vision and resolve, and thank our Chief Operating Officer Sue Clark and her team, for their hard work and diligence over many months in leading the deal.

“We also thank the Melbourne Racing Club for their cooperation during this process, and we look forward to continuing to build a strong and prosperous future for the Bulldogs.”
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs to exit gaming industry

That’s an amazing achievement. A true community minded organisation.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah this is cool or whatever, but there's no excuse in 2019 for clubs to rely on pokies for income. I'd consider not having them as pretty much the bare minimum.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

4. Likes WBFC4FFC, Rocket Science, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah this is cool or whatever, but there's no excuse in 2019 for clubs to rely on pokies for income. I'd consider not having them as pretty much the bare minimum.
    You were against pokies before it was cool.

It isn’t the bare minimum, which makes this a great achievement, especially for a club at the lower end of the revenue scale.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic achievement by our great club.
    To think five other Victorian clubs were recently handed new 20-year licences to operate machines, beginning in 2022 and running to 2042. Those clubs were Carlton (290 machines), Essendon (190), Hawthorn (165), Richmond (97) and St Kilda (83).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...2ad05e6ea58059

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff. The community club doing the right thing by the community.

Interesting to see that 4 of the 5 clubs that have just been given 20 year licences are so called 'big clubs'. Maybe big on numbers but not on ethics. And as for Hawthorn being the 'family club', &$#! me.

Post Thanks / Like

That's all great but does it still mean that there will still be pokies in Footscray?
    If there is then what does it matter who owns them? Wouldn't the best thing to to is to get rid of them altogether?

The MRC has agreed to purchase the licences for Club Leeds in Footscray and the Peninsula Club in Dromana, inclusive of 65 gaming machines across both venues. The terms of the sale have been agreed by both parties, with settlements to occur over coming weeks and once all required regulatory approvals are obtained.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Another step forward, congrats to the Prez and team
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an extra membership for a family member upon hearing this news!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

11. Likes bornadog, WBFC4FFC, azabob, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's all great but does it still mean that there will still be pokies in Footscray?
    If there is then what does it matter who owns them? Wouldn't the best thing to to is to get rid of them altogether?
    What matters is we aren't the ones profiting from it.

We can't change the law as a club but we can get as far away from the things a possible.

13. Likes strebla, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    What matters is we aren't the ones profiting from it.

We can't change the law as a club but we can get as far away from the things a possible.
    I guess.

Pokies make me laugh, when dad was alive he liked to play them and I used to go and watch the people playing and you never see them smile. They just stand there with frowns on their faces pouring money into a machine that is designed with an algorithm that is designed specifically to take your money away. I've had some problems with addiction in the past but I'd hate to be addicted to gambling of any kind. It's the state sanctioned addiction designed to replace the revenue that state governments missed out on with less people smoking tobacco.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

15. Likes WBFC4FFC, Testekill, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate this guy. A glass haft empty kind of guy. Not looking at the positive but questioning us ... only shifting the problem elsewhere ...

https://www.3aw.com.au/why-tom-ellio...ue-signalling/
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    I hate this guy. A glass haft empty kind of guy. Not looking at the positive but questioning us ... only shifting the problem elsewhere ...

https://www.3aw.com.au/why-tom-ellio...ue-signalling/
    Anything anyone does that isn't pure self interest is done to virtue signal which is actually self interest anyway. I know this because I'm incapable of doing anything that isn't to my benefit in some way and I feel better with the thought that everyone else is as bad or worse than me. It's also useful for dismissing views I don't agree with. /s

Anyway this is clearly the right thing to do so I'm glad we've done it. Carry on

Post Thanks / Like

Elliott is like his dad, would do anything to make Carlton seem like the good guys. No surprise he's saying something like this given how many machines Carlton profit from, including in the west.

19. Likes WBFC4FFC, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I guess.

Pokies make me laugh, when dad was alive he liked to play them and I used to go and watch the people playing and you never see them smile. They just stand there with frowns on their faces pouring money into a machine that is designed with an algorithm that is designed specifically to take your money away. I've had some problems with addiction in the past but I'd hate to be addicted to gambling of any kind. It's the state sanctioned addiction designed to replace the revenue that state governments missed out on with less people smoking tobacco.
    You took the words out of my mouth. They are the most morbid venues and a blight on society.

They have done studies suggesting that having to deal with a relative with drug habit is more preferable than one with a gambling addiction (not that you wish either on anyone).

The way the Gaming Industry cracks it is a national disgrace. The blocking of Gold Coin operated Machines shows that there business model has no morals whatsoever.

PS: Love the comment under the Clubs LinkedIn page about exiting Gaming from a Gaming Industry Exec, guaranteeing the Horse Racing will take-over from Aussie Rules in the Western Suburbs as a result of this transaction! Can't be serious but why write it?!?!