Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs to exit gaming industry

Gambling today is really heavily advertised on TV. They really push it. I never have gambled. Just not interested that much.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I guess.

Pokies make me laugh, when dad was alive he liked to play them and I used to go and watch the people playing and you never see them smile. They just stand there with frowns on their faces pouring money into a machine that is designed with an algorithm that is designed specifically to take your money away. I've had some problems with addiction in the past but I'd hate to be addicted to gambling of any kind. It's the state sanctioned addiction designed to replace the revenue that state governments missed out on with less people smoking tobacco.
    Occasionally when I was on the road for work a lot I'd drop into pubs/gaming venues to use the toilets, and often you'd have to walk through the gaming lounge itself to find them. Man o man, what a depressing shit show a pokies venue is at 11am, everyone kind of just sits there like zombies with a perversion for sparkling lights and electronic jingles rather than brains.

Governments are addicted to the revenue, which is a shame, because we'll never be rid of them now.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Gambling today is really heavily advertised on TV. They really push it. I never have gambled. Just not interested that much.
    Sports betting is but Pokies aren't, not allowed to advertise pokies.

5. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Occasionally when I was on the road for work a lot I'd drop into pubs/gaming venues to use the toilets, and often you'd have to walk through the gaming lounge itself to find them. Man o man, what a depressing shit show a pokies venue is at 11am, everyone kind of just sits there like zombies with a perversion for sparkling lights and electronic jingles rather than brains.

Governments are addicted to the revenue, which is a shame, because we'll never be rid of them now.
    Yeah I had a shift the other day and had to take my client to the toilet at Miller's Inn at around that time. A shit show is a good description.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs formally free of gaming machine ownership

The Western Bulldogs are officially free of gaming machine ownership, after a handover was completed today with the Melbourne Racing Club (MRC).

The MRC has purchased the Bulldogs’ 65 gaming machines from two venues - Club Leeds in Footscray and the Peninsula Club in Dromana.

The agreement, which was originally struck in November last year, was subject to regulatory approvals, which were delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Club will maintain ownership of the freehold land at the Peninsula Club, and will therefore be the landlord of that premises.

Exiting the gaming industry has been a long-standing vision of the Club. The sale will unlock vital funds to assist with beginning works on Stage 2 of the Whitten Oval precinct redevelopment.

On Saturday the Daniel Andrews State Government pledged $36.6 million towards the next stage of the redevelopment project, which is expected to cost $58 million.

“It’s a proud day for our football club to now be formally out of the gaming industry,” said Bulldogs’ CEO Ameet Bains.

“There has been a considerable body of work done over several years to arrive at this point. When we made the decision to exit gaming, we wanted to ensure we were still going to be financially prosperous into the future.

“Thanks to some pleasing financial results over the last decade, and some meticulous planning for the future, we can move forward with optimism to offset the loss of funds we were receiving from gaming machines.

“With the gaming sale, combined with a generous funding boost from the State Government, we’re thrilled to be able to push ahead with construction on our redevelopment next year once design work is complete. The new Whitten Oval precinct will be something for our members and fans and local community to enjoy for decades to come.

“We would like to thank the Melbourne Racing Club for their professionalism and cooperation through the sale process, our Board of Directors for their vision and determination, our Chief Operating Officer Sue Clark and her team for coordinating the extensive process, as well as the loyal staff at the Peninsula Club and Club Leeds for their outstanding service over many years.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news. I can see a time where gambling advertising will be banned. It's only a matter of time.

9. Likes azabob, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone else receive the survey on gambling and its advertising? I think it was from Deakin.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Did anyone else receive the survey on gambling and its advertising? I think it was from Deakin.
    Yes I did
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

I came here to write exactly your sentiment. But since you go there first, just to play devil's advocate ( a bit ). While I am not a fan of gaming, I can see why gaming venues attract senior cits. Firstly, the way we have built our urban neighbourhoods and changes in family structures means a great deal of loneliness for certain people. Gaming venues are warm, the staff are familiar, the food is cheap, it's open late, light, and music and footy.
    It's not real community and these game makers really know how to suck people in. But at the end of the day, some people feel at home. I think they are a curse but I see why they attract people. I'm really glad we are out of them.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus