Thanks Thanks:  159
Likes Likes:  1,293
Page 31 of 118 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181 ... LastLast

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

You really only need to see what Lake helped Hawthorne achieve in my book if they add even 3% that can be a massive difference than waiting the 2 or 3 years to develope a younger player.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

2. Likes EasternWest, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    You really only need to see what Lake helped Hawthorne achieve in my book if they add even 3% that can be a massive difference than waiting the 2 or 3 years to develope a younger player.
    That's a good point. There's also the knowledge they bring to help develop others. Especially someone from a successful system.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 22-09-2020 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    They would have easily walk into our team and make a positive impact. Some are all too quick to put a line through a player because they look closer at their age or height than their abilities on the footy field
    We say we are a finals quality team so there is nothing wrong with looking at players who could come in for 2 or 3 years and add some quality and experience to the list

I get why players at say 26 years of age are more appealing but the likes of Breust and Smith are proven performers and 'could' address a couple of gaps on the list
    Umm.

My comment about age was related to McKernan. Surely we aren't comparing Breust and McKernan as if they are part of the same football universe?

Age DOES matter when it comes to bringing guys in - but bringing in someone with a high pedigree and a clearly defined role is different to bringing in an ageing battler to perform a non-specific 'backup' role...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

5. Likes Grantysghost, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Umm.

My comment about age was related to McKernan. Surely we aren't comparing Breust and McKernan as if they are part of the same football universe?

Age DOES matter when it comes to bringing guys in - but bringing in someone with a high pedigree and a clearly defined role is different to bringing in an ageing battler to perform a non-specific 'backup' role...
    There is certainly a clear difference in discussion about McKernan and Breust from my perspective. Hopefully I can explain it better

I agree 100% about McKernan who is a decent forward who can hold a mark but he would never push Bruce or Naughton out of a spot in our team. He would be a depth player nothing else for us and with a reduced list size and given his age he probably isn't going to get any better so to me he is an easy pass.

Smith and Breust, as you point out, are very different players who are a lot better than decent and I would think they would both command a senior spot in our team because they can fill specific roles for us.
    If you believe our 'window is open' then players of that quality are worth considering and their age is somewhat a secondary consideration especially if you believe you could get 2 or 3 years out of them.

I'd would have been open to considering Smith and Breust but less so with McKernan based on the reasons above
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent chat everyone but this is no place for intelligent conversation so as they prepare to own another trade period can we resume roasting Essington please?

BORDERLINE FLYING

8. Likes Twodogs, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When looking at older players, we should be placing a heavy weighting on their ability to show our younger players the 'right' way to play a position - i.e. Breust would do wonders for the development of Weightman, Cavarra, West etc. Goldstein would do the same for English. I was keen on Burgoyne for the same reason.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    When looking at older players, we should be placing a heavy weighting on their ability to show our younger players the 'right' way to play a position - i.e. Breust would do wonders for the development of Weightman, Cavarra, West etc. Goldstein would do the same for English. I was keen on Burgoyne for the same reason.
    Would we play both Goldy and English in the same team?

Post Thanks / Like

Would we play both Goldy and English in the same team?
    I would, 100%. Bevo, probably not.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I would, 100%. Bevo, probably not.
    I'm trying to view things from Bevo's perspective so Goldy would be a pass
    He is still an excellent ruckman though

Post Thanks / Like

There is certainly a clear difference in discussion about McKernan and Breust from my perspective. Hopefully I can explain it better

I agree 100% about McKernan who is a decent forward who can hold a mark but he would never push Bruce or Naughton out of a spot in our team. He would be a depth player nothing else for us and with a reduced list size and given his age he probably isn't going to get any better so to me he is an easy pass.

Smith and Breust, as you point out, are very different players who are a lot better than decent and I would think they would both command a senior spot in our team because they can fill specific roles for us.
    If you believe our 'window is open' then players of that quality are worth considering and their age is somewhat a secondary consideration especially if you believe you could get 2 or 3 years out of them.

I'd would have been open to considering Smith and Breust but less so with McKernan based on the reasons above
    With Naughton a chance to miss next week would McKernan come in to take his spot if he was on our list?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    With Naughton a chance to miss next week would McKernan come in to take his spot if he was on our list?
    He can't get a game at Essendon let alone coming in.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He can't get a game at Essendon let alone coming in.
    I don't know. Essendon are a basket case, we aren't. It's amazing the difference it can make when you have something to play for. McKernan is a talented player and that talent can sometimes rise when it has competition. When it is just a case of going through the motions then not so much.

Lots of players who have looked ordinary at poor clubs with bad cultures have blossomed when a more successful club takes them on. Im not saying that McKernan is a superstar but he'd be handy to have if Naughton missed v the Saints.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of which what's the story with Josh Schasche? He'd be handy for structure if Naughton missed even though they play a fairly different role/gamestyle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I would think Schache or Lewis Young would be preferred inclusions to McKernan but it might be a close call

Post Thanks / Like

I would think Schache or Lewis Young would be preferred inclusions to McKernan but it might be a close call
    Can Lewis Young play forward? I guess he's as close to a swingman as we currently have on our list.

Hopefully Schasche can come up after missing the scratch match and rescue his career with a sterling 4 match finals series that makes him into the confident AFL player we all want him to become. Assuming Naughton misses of course.