Thanks Thanks:  159
Likes Likes:  1,293
Page 102 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2529293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1762

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    its amazing how the media spin this. Euphemism galore!
    I also think Sheedy was brave and courageous for standing up the board, and it definitely had nothing to do with his own ego and sense of importance.

Can see why Hird and Sheeds get on so well, just a couple of messiahs trying to save a footy club!!

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Essendon fans I've chatted with are really happy, simply because the coteries are stronger at Essendon than any other club and B Scott is arguably the only person available to coach who can handle that. They are probably the only club where the coteries are stronger than the board.
    That's crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Brad Scott will get the Essendon factions working together. He is a good relationship builder within footy clubs and he will put time into it...he will get them all on side.

I was concerned about two people getting the Essendon job:

Lyon because he's just a good coach and would get the 'footy' side of things on track.
    B. Scott - because he understands building relationships and will put real time into it...he will help unify the club.

Is he an amazing footy coach? I'm not sure that's the story any of his past players/staff would paint. BUT he is very good at unifying the on-field with the off-field...Essendon have talent (they do) and IF (as we all seem to think) the 'BIG ISSUE' is the influence of the various coteries and factions within the club, he will work diligently to fix those problems...

Is Yze potentially the better coach? Well, maybe. But do you want a first time coach jumping into that environment????

This is a really good appointment.
    If ever Ross goes for an interview again I wouldn't be surprised in the back of his mind he is thinking. "Are the going to ask me what happened with the female staffer at Freo"? Who alleged Lyon told her he liked her "budding boobs", before continuing to speak to her throughout the night and including a number of inappropriate remarks. All clubs would be entitled to ask this question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    If ever Ross goes for an interview again I wouldn't be surprised in the back of his mind he is thinking. "Are the going to ask me what happened with the female staffer at Freo"? Who alleged Lyon told her he liked her "budding boobs", before continuing to speak to her throughout the night and including a number of inappropriate remarks. All clubs would be entitled to ask this question.
    100%. Not sure that being an arse disqualifies you from knowing how to coach a footy team though...Lyon can flat out coach a footy side - he got St Kilda to a GF, he got Freo to a GF...I doubt he will ever coach again though.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    100%. Not sure that being an arse disqualifies you from knowing how to coach a footy team though...Lyon can flat out coach a footy side - he got St Kilda to a GF, he got Freo to a GF...I doubt he will ever coach again though.
    It seems from the outside that he believes he doesn't need to go through a process to get a coaching gig, which is half the reason why I agree with you in that he won't coach again.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It seems from the outside that he believes he doesn't need to go through a process to get a coaching gig, which is half the reason why I agree with you in that he won't coach again.
    I think this is an accurate call. He is very confident in his coaching abilities but the thought of going through an extensive process and coming 2nd isn't acceptable to him.
    He really only has a year or two to go because if he isn't coaching soon he would have been out of the game for too long.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ABC News
    NAB CEO Andrew Thorburn and chair Ken Henry resign in the wake of banking royal commission

Ken Henry says he and outgoing NAB CEO Andrew Thorburn are "deeply sorry", after both men announced their departures from the bank in the wake of criticism from royal commissioner Kenneth Hayne.
    https://amp.abc.net.au/article/10790670

He'll fit right in at the Bombers.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    https://amp.abc.net.au/article/10790670

He'll fit right in at the Bombers.
    You can’t script this stuff.

It has to be a Truman show style piss take.

12. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Herald sun is reporting

“New Essendon CEO Andrew Thorburn is the chairman of a church organisation which preaches controversial beliefs around homosexual behaviour and abortion”.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

14. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Herald sun is reporting

“New Essendon CEO Andrew Thorburn is the chairman of a church organisation which preaches controversial beliefs around homosexual behaviour and abortion”.
    Perfect fit for the Christian club.

16. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New Essendon CEO Andrew Thorburn is also the Chair of City On A Hill - a church which preaches against abortion, including in cases of rape. In one sermon, head preacher Guy Mason compared abortion to ethnic cleansing and slavery. 1/..
    https://mobile.twitter.com/mike_read...5Es1_&ref_url=
    The curse is dead.

18. Likes EasternWest, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't make this stuff up:

https://www.theage.com.au/cbd/essend...03-p5bmvg.html

The next order of business at Windy Hill, a new chief executive, was announced on Monday as Andrew Thorburn, whose tenure as NAB CEO ended in 2019 after copping heavy criticism from the banking royal commission.

But it was Thorburn’s other gig as chairman of conservative Christian church City on a Hill that raised eyebrows on Sunday.

City on a Hill will look the other way on same-sex attraction, as long as you don’t act on it, but abortion is always a no-no.

It’s not clear where Thorburn stands personally on those issues, but his role as chairman of the church’s board requires him to advocate for the furthering of the church and its beliefs.

We haven’t heard back. But we sense it’s only a matter of time before the world knows what Sheedy thinks of all this.
    We asked the club how Thorburn’s links to the church squared with those commitments to diversity and inclusion that we’re always hearing about from AFL clubs and the league itself.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

“Abortion is always a no-no”

Sounds like a better fit for Hawthorn, circa 2013.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You can't make this stuff up:

https://www.theage.com.au/cbd/essend...03-p5bmvg.html

The next order of business at Windy Hill, a new chief executive, was announced on Monday as Andrew Thorburn, whose tenure as NAB CEO ended in 2019 after copping heavy criticism from the banking royal commission.

But it was Thorburn’s other gig as chairman of conservative Christian church City on a Hill that raised eyebrows on Sunday.

City on a Hill will look the other way on same-sex attraction, as long as you don’t act on it, but abortion is always a no-no.

It’s not clear where Thorburn stands personally on those issues, but his role as chairman of the church’s board requires him to advocate for the furthering of the church and its beliefs.

We haven’t heard back. But we sense it’s only a matter of time before the world knows what Sheedy thinks of all this.
    We asked the club how Thorburn’s links to the church squared with those commitments to diversity and inclusion that we’re always hearing about from AFL clubs and the league itself.
    Its like Globogym.

Here at globogym we are better than you and we know it.

23. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been awhile since the drugs scandal and the incompetence was so funny that I was worried more people might start to like or feel bad for Essendon. Good to have this as a reminder of exactly what kind of characters they want at EFC steering the ship.

25. Likes josie, jeemak liked this post