Thanks Thanks:  159
Likes Likes:  1,293
Page 30 of 118 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080 ... LastLast

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The only problem is he is just a decent forward who can take a turn in the ruck. With Naughton and Bruce we don't have room for another tall forward. We may as well find another emerging ruckman just in case English gets injured
    We need a player like Blicavs, that would suit Bevo nicely
    ...and he's 30+.

I don't get the interest tbh.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    ...and he's 30+.

I don't get the interest tbh.
    The age isn't the issue for me. Isaac Smith was being knocked back as a possible trade for us and he had a good season for the Hawks and he averaged 17 possessions a game for them at 31

McKernan is a handy player but he won't suit us
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The age isn't the issue for me. Isaac Smith was being knocked back as a possible trade for us and he had a good season for the Hawks and he averaged 17 possessions a game for them at 31

McKernan is a handy player but he won't suit us
    If you want a short term solution then age doesn't matter. I would prefer a longer term solution.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If you want a short term solution then age doesn't matter. I would prefer a longer term solution.
    I know you are very age focused and for some reason a bit anti Hawthorn but to me good players are good players. If we think we can get 2 to 3 years out of them and they don't cost the world I'm open to the idea of bringing in an experienced player or two.

Smith would have been a good option for us this season

Post Thanks / Like

I know you are very age focused and for some reason a bit anti Hawthorn but to me good players are good players. If we think we can get 2 to 3 years out of them and they don't cost the world I'm open to the idea of bringing in an experienced player or two.

Smith would have been a good option for us this season
    I am not anti Hawthorn, but I don't want 30 plus hasbeens that we don't need. I like to develop young players or get some one in mid 20's for a longer term.

I have seen so many ex forwards in their 30s come to us and the only one that worked was Barry Hall. As for Isaac Smith, we didn't need him.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not anti Hawthorn, but I don't want 30 plus hasbeens that we don't need. I like to develop young players or get some one in mid 20's for a longer term.

I have seen so many ex forwards in their 30s come to us and the only one that worked was Barry Hall. As for Isaac Smith, we didn't need him.
    Osborne and Akermanis were awesome.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Osborne and Akermanis were awesome.
    James Cook gave us one really good year and overall was a plus. Osborne was very good. Akker was great at times but look what happened. There was a downside to him that can only be measured by insiders. Barry Hall was fantastic. But the list of forward failures does not make happy reading. I saw Shane Loveless kick 9 against Hawthorn. He wasn't an import though. We had a bloke who kicked 12 in a Reserves final but never went on with it. Alan Jakovich, Jayde Rawlings, Alan Edwards, Max Crow and, back in the 50s, Max Cross.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

We don't need a forward, but we do need a back-up ruck.

I'd happily take a 1-2 year back up ruck so our entire ruck strategy isn't "hope English plays every game or Sweet magically becomes AFL ready after a year of not playing VFL"
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes EasternWest, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We don't need a forward, but we do need a back-up ruck.

I'd happily take a 1-2 year back up ruck so our entire ruck strategy isn't "hope English plays every game or Sweet magically becomes AFL ready after a year of not playing VFL"
    Agree, some roles we may need a short term solution. I would consider a champion indigenous player like Betts to come in as a playing coach and help build our programme.

What I don't like is bringing in guys like Breust, Isaac Smith, Mckernan unless we deem it is absolutely necessary as a role, and at this stage I don't think it is a need.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, some roles we may need a short term solution. I would consider a champion indigenous player like Betts to come in as a playing coach and help build our programme.

What I don't like is bringing in guys like Breust, Isaac Smith, Mckernan unless we deem it is absolutely necessary as a role, and at this stage I don't think it is a need.
    Breust and Smith I would - class forward of the ball (and with Dickson gone, no impact on age) and a second AFL-proven wingman which we currently don't have. I see both of those positions as positions of need.

Post Thanks / Like

Breust and Smith I would - class forward of the ball (and with Dickson gone, no impact on age) and a second AFL-proven wingman which we currently don't have. I see both of those positions as positions of need.
    With Vanda, Richards I would prefer giving them the spot. Let them develop into the roles.

Post Thanks / Like

They would have easily walk into our team and make a positive impact. Some are all too quick to put a line through a player because they look closer at their age or height than their abilities on the footy field
    We say we are a finals quality team so there is nothing wrong with looking at players who could come in for 2 or 3 years and add some quality and experience to the list

I get why players at say 26 years of age are more appealing but the likes of Breust and Smith are proven performers and 'could' address a couple of gaps on the list

14. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They would have easily walk into our team and make a positive impact. Some are all too quick to put a line through a player because they look closer at their age or height than their abilities on the footy field
    We say we are a finals quality team so there is nothing wrong with looking at players who could come in for 2 or 3 years and add some quality and experience to the list

I get why players at say 26 years of age are more appealing but the likes of Breust and Smith are proven performers and 'could' address a couple of gaps on the list
    In the world game, Zlatan Ibrahimovich who is 38 scored a brace for AC Milan this morning. Sometimes it does depend on the player. I get it's a different sport with less physical contact.

Post Thanks / Like

And the difference in the trade value of a 26 year old v a 30 year old (all other things being equal) is huge. It's all very well to say bring in a mid 20s player but the quality ones will cost you a packet. Quality players around the 30 mark can be had for not much in the right circumstance and therefore doesn't impact too much on your drafting.

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    And the difference in the trade value of a 26 year old v a 30 year old (all other things being equal) is huge. It's all very well to say bring in a mid 20s player but the quality ones will cost you a packet. Quality players around the 30 mark can be had for not much in the right circumstance and therefore doesn't impact too much on your drafting.
    Yep - especially if you have a developing kid who can play elsewhere (e.g. VDM has shown real promise as a high forward, and may be a wing in time, but a year of Isaac Smith on a wing wouldn't hurt his career)