Thanks Thanks:  159
Likes Likes:  1,293
Page 25 of 118 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575 ... LastLast

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I hope they elevate Stringer into the leadership group for the lols.
    Has anyone looked at Stringers stats for this year? They are horrendous and bombers supporters are pointing to his injury slowing him down, they contend he was having a big impact through the middle.

He has 4 clearances for the season and 1 goal assist. Has under 7 touches per game with an average of 2 clangers.

2. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Has anyone looked at Stringers stats for this year? They are horrendous and bombers supporters are pointing to his injury slowing him down, they contend he was having a big impact through the middle.

He has 4 clearances for the season and 1 goal assist. Has under 7 touches per game with an average of 2 clangers.
    Stringer hasn't fired a shot since the resumption. He's unbelievably lucky to have held his spot.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Even before he got injured, he was only getting it 7-8 times a game. Yeah, he kicked some goals but plenty of cheapies like usual.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

His, ours or their lols?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

He is having a big impact through the middle - see the photos earlier in the thread.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    When you look at the Essendon list, perhaps they need to appoint a captain like they do in tennis or golf and just have a non-playing captain.
    So Simon Madden to captain then?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting press conference by Worsfold. He sounded pretty out of love with Essendon supporters and - tbh - the whole club. Was he implying that the club was after a quick fix with his comments about work needing to be done etc?

I'm really unsure what is going on over there...this weeks game vs Melbourne is going to show quite a bit about the players mindset I suspect.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Interesting press conference by Worsfold. He sounded pretty out of love with Essendon supporters and - tbh - the whole club. Was he implying that the club was after a quick fix with his comments about work needing to be done etc?

I'm really unsure what is going on over there...this weeks game vs Melbourne is going to show quite a bit about the players mindset I suspect.
    A month ago he said they were close to being a very good team. Last week he said they were 3 years behind the Cats. Now he's giving the club a clip on the way out for a lack of patience.

Bizarre flip flop and just goes to show that succession/handover arrangements rarely work.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Shiel - Smith - Stringer - Saad

They went for the 'now' before they were actually ready. They're set to pay the price for a long time to come.
    Dodoro now being an Essendon board member makes me happy.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Shiel - Smith - Stringer - Saad

They went for the 'now' before they were actually ready. They're set to pay the price for a long time to come.
    Dodoro now being an Essendon board member makes me happy.
    Can't wait until they sign Simpson (Kade) and Shaw (Heath) this trade period.

Post Thanks / Like

To me they tend to have a lot of faux stars. They talk up (and recruited as and pay as) the likes of Dyson Heppell, Michael Hurley, Dylan Shiel, Jesse Stringer, Joe Daniher, Adam Saad, Zach Merrett, AMT and Michael Hurley as being stars but in reality the vast majority of them are not the players you want as the best player in that position, and the ones that are capable of being that are either constantly injured or wildly inconsistent.

The perfect example is their midfield. I know everyone thinks its shit (and they probably do now as well) but it was clear whe they recruited Shiel that he was more of the same. Their midfield is full of guys detined to be the third best mid at a good club, with none of them capable of being more than that. Heppel, Shiel, Merrett and Smith are their best 4 mids and they a) don't compliment eachother enough and b) need a better player to carry them. They need that one standout mid to bring the rest up a level, a Bont, a Kelly, a Neale. I know thats obvious and much easier said than done, but it's a really strong group of guys to be a midfield group sitting underneath someone who can carry it, but without that star too much responsibility is placed on the rest. This is obviously exacerbated by the fact the that group, like the Essendon side as a whole, is incapable of grinding out games and working both ways, making them super vulnerable especially against good sides with good midfields.

Other issues are that the next tier down is pretty crap, I know most sides primarily have a group of good players that numbers around the 10-12 mark (Essendon come pretty close to that) but most side shave a pretty competent next tier which Essendon lacks. Parish and Langford are maybe emerging a bit more this year but the former is as vanilla as his haircut and the latter lacks hurt factor, Ridley to be fair is genuinely very good, Redman is ok, Draper is promising but is a young ruck just starting out and McGrath probably belongs in the above category but I do actually think he is decent, but after that they are just filling their side out with dogshit like Laverde, McKernan, Fantasia, Francis, Cutler, Townsend and Stewart.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watched the Footy classified segment on Woosha's comments, it was pretty damning. They did nail on thing though - the idea was a smooth transition to make Rutten's job easier, but he now starts round 1 next year under pressure. That makes the transition a failure.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Hahahaha, dogshit. That's a massive burn soup.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Hahahaha, dogshit. That's a massive burn soup.
    But very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Shiel - Smith - Stringer - Saad .
    4 ok players. Shiel is an outside player, but they needed an inside mid. Smith can't get enough of the ball which tells you something about his midfield play, Stringer, well we know about him and Saad can't defend, looks great dashing about, but should be better than that.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

With the reductions to clubs' footy departments, Stringer should be their fitness and conditioning coach.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.