Thanks Thanks:  159
Likes Likes:  1,293
Page 52 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Dodoro had on offer 3 first rounders last year for Daniher & Fantasia. He rejected those crazy good deals and only got one this year. He lost Saad as well. He had Dunkley ready for the taking and shit the bed yet again.

In my book, love Dodoro or hate him, if his hubris costs your footy club two first rounders and a 22yo AA, Premiership Player in a 12 month period... well... As a board I’d be looking for new blood, immediately.
    He's on the board and so is his main supporter Kevin (the footy department and coaching has been a mess since I left but everything with list management is great) Sheedy!

Hopefully he's going nowhere.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I have enjoyed sticking it to Essendon, I do feel a little uneasy about their plans for the future. I can't see them taking our stance lying down and have no doubts they will come hard again at our players, whether it is Dunks, Bont, Baz, Naughton, Marra etc. They are the dirtiest of operators, so while we may have won this battle, the war isn't over.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    As much as I have enjoyed sticking it to Essendon, I do feel a little uneasy about their plans for the future. I can't see them taking our stance lying down and have no doubts they will come hard again at our players, whether it is Dunks, Bont, Baz, Naughton, Marra etc. They are the dirtiest of operators, so while we may have won this battle, the war isn't over.
    It’s not been done as I know of, I’d offer JUH an instant 2-3 years extension to his rookie contract if he’d sign it (5 years) on draft night. Why wait?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

It’s not been done as I know of, I’d offer JUH an instant 2-3 years extension to his rookie contract if he’d sign it (5 years) on draft night. Why wait?
    I'd be happy to do that.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be happy to do that.
    We all remember Carlton’s arrogance of being a ‘big club’ and that getting Tom Boyd after two years was a guaranteed thing because Tom was a Carlton supporter. I’m sure Essendon think the same thing with JUH being a reformed Essendon fan.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

AFL.com just dropped their draft ratings. Give your eyes a good rub, this is not a misprint...

Essendon
    Who left: Joe Daniher, Adam Saad, Orazio Fantasia

Who arrived: Jye Caldwell, Peter Wright, Nick Hind

2020 NAB AFL Draft picks: 6, 7, 8, 44, 67, 74, 85, 87

Future picks: The Bombers threw a few around here. They sent the Suns a future fourth-round pick for Wright, but received a future third-round selection from the Power. In landing Caldwell they gave up a future second-round pick.

We say: Glass half full or glass half empty? The Bombers lost three quality players, but all three didn't want to be there. There’s genuine star factor that has left in Daniher, Saad and Fantasia, though, that hasn’t been replaced. They picked up Wright very cheaply in trade terms (although will take on the large part of his hefty wage), and brought in some speed from St Kilda with Nick Hind, while the Bombers also did a good deal to land Caldwell as an up-and-coming midfielder but paid a big price with two second-round picks. Their huge and lucrative bid for Josh Dunkley went down to the wire, but ultimately the Bombers weren't willing to give up two first-round picks for the midfielder – which leaves them with probably their best draft hand in history with three top-10 picks. They must land these selections to turn this period into a win. Two midfielders and a tall should be on the menu. - Callum Twomey

Grade: 4.5/10 (ranked 17th)

Western Bulldogs
    Who left: Lachie Young

Who arrived: Mitch Hannan, Stefan Martin, Adam Treloar

2020 NAB AFL Draft picks: 26, 33, 41, 42, 54, 90

Future picks: They gave away a future third-round pick for Melbourne goalkicker Hannan, and also a future second-round pick as a key part in the Treloar deal.

We say: Wow. Not only did the Bulldogs hold their nerve and keep the Bombers' bid for Josh Dunkley at bay, they also managed a last-minute deal to snag Adam Treloar from the Magpies to add serious speed to their midfield mix in exchange for essentially a future second-round pick. The pick 14 they sent to the Pies as part of that deal netted them No.26, 33 and 42 – which will give them more points to select highly-rated Academy talent Jamarra Ugle-Hagan. That pick was always on the move and eventually found a home as they searched for draft points. The Dogs targeted a ready-to-go mature ruckman to complement Tim English and picked up Brisbane's Stefan Martin in a three-way deal that saw them lose Young to North, while Hannan gives their forward line another dimension. The Dogs' list only got better in the exchange period, and will get better at next month's draft, too. Huge winners. - Callum Twomey

Grade: 10/10 (ranked 1st)

For extra LOL's:
    Collingwood
    Who left: Jaidyn Stephenson, Atu Bosenavulagi, Tom Phillips, Adam Treloar

Who arrived: Nil

2020 NAB AFL Draft picks: 14, 16, 65, 70, 75, 92

Future picks: Collingwood received a future second-round selection from the Western Bulldogs in a deal for Treloar. Despite publicly putting its future first-round pick on the trade table, it didn't relinquish any 2021 picks.

We say: How did it come to this? Collingwood's desperation to push Stephenson, Phillips and Treloar out the door led to cut-price deals for all three. Stephenson, a NAB AFL Rising Star winner just two years ago, left for little more than a second-round pick. Phillips, a solid servant with a bright future, left for a pick in the 60s. The club did receive pick No.14 from the Bulldogs in a deal for Treloar, but also gave up one of its most important midfielders and was forced to shift picks No.26, 33 and 42 to get that earlier selection. It's a lamentable Trade Period for the club. - Riley Beveridge

Grade: 1/10 (ranked 18th)

Post Thanks / Like

This indeed is the potential grey cloud on the horizon. It may well be Collingwood as the threat, who have now released a great amount of cap space this year. Whilst the logic of their salary / player dump is bewildering now, it may well be that their strategy is all about being in a position to replace Pendlebury by throwing an offer at Marcus that he couldn’t refuse, and we wouldn’t have cap space to cover.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    This indeed is the potential grey cloud on the horizon. It may well be Collingwood as the threat, who have now released a great amount of cap space this year. Whilst the logic of their salary / player dump is bewildering now, it may well be that their strategy is all about being in a position to replace Pendlebury by throwing an offer at Marcus that he couldn’t refuse, and we wouldn’t have cap space to cover.
    In Sammy We Trust, I guess.

10. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What I've heard is that Zach Merrett is very much on their radar as a FA in 2021. Merrett not happy at the Bummers apparently and is biding his time for 12 months.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need to stitch up a few players like Marcus. I am pretty sure he is already on big dollars and Pies are paying Grundy and De Goey huge amounts so may not have the capacity. Having said that, other clubs will be lurking around Smith, Naughton, English etc.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If we start winning finals, then guys might accept a small amount less like we've seen at Hawthorn, Geelong & Richmond by and large. That's the ideal scenario.

Post Thanks / Like

If we start winning finals, then guys might accept a small amount less like we've seen at Hawthorn, Geelong & Richmond by and large. That's the ideal scenario.
    Yes, that is the key. Keep the team together and play consecutive winning finals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but they won't hit up any of our players under contract as they know we'll hold a player to it.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yes, but they won't hit up any of our players under contract as they know we'll hold a player to it.
    Spot on, that's the sub plot to the entire narrative. Clubs doing list management and pondering cracking loose a contracted player will think long and hard about taking on Sam after this.
    Precedent set.

Post Thanks / Like

In Sammy We Trust, I guess.
    Take that "I guess" back comrade. In Sammy We Trust.