Thanks Thanks:  159
Likes Likes:  1,293
Page 9 of 118 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

Not the hero we deserved but the hero we needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Club legend Matthew Lloyd blasts Essendon’s lack of culture and success

Essendon will embark on a new era when Ben Rutten takes over as senior coach next year.

But he’s got his work cut out for him, according to club legend Matthew Lloyd, who says the Bombers remain rudderless.

The Dons reached the finals last year but experienced their fifth defeat in an elimination final since they last tasted any kind of September success.

Finishing inside the top eight was an achievement in itself given the injuries sustained throughout 2019.

For Lloyd, however, it wasn’t the kind of season that helps a club turn a corner.

“They don’t know what success is,” the five-time All Australian told Footy Classified.

“I think sometimes you’ve got to taste it and build to it. What’s culture? They wouldn’t know what culture is.”

Lloyd said Richmond’s launch into their current premiership-winning era remains the standard-bearer for teams looking to reach the next level.

He just doesn’t see it in Essendon, whose leadership overhaul this year saw star midfielder Zach Merrett axed and recent recruits Dylan Shiel and Devon Smith promoted.

“What gives me hope (for the Bombers) is I don’t think (Jack) Riewoldt and (Alex) Rance when they were arguing, for a period of time, weren’t even buying in to each other’s areas,” Lloyd said.

“Trent Cotchin, to me, wasn’t a great captain. I thought Trent, whether he was asked to do it or not, was getting a lot of possessions, but it wasn’t what’s best for the team.

“(Essendon have) got to find something that’s clear and decisive and stick with it - not chop and change year after year to try and get somewhere.”

The Bombers became further removed from success when the heralded return of premiership stars James Hird and Mark Thompson ended with the club on its knees following the supplements saga.

With only a handful of affected players still on the list, Lloyd feels Essendon’s ability to move on will ramp up as the transition from current coach John Worsfold to his deputy Rutten continues.

“Since I’ve gone and retired, the frustration has built and grown at the mediocrity that has happened at the Essendon Football Club,” he said.

“I think from this year, next year onwards, I think we’re now starting to get on a clean slate.

“People said it would take 10 years to recover and they’re going to be spot on.”

Essendon veteran hits back
    David Zaharakis launched a passionate defence of his club after Lloyd’s stinging criticism.

“(Worsfold) came in as a culture-driven person and completely changed the club and changed the personnel within the club,” Zaharakis said on Thursday.

“We’ve gotten rid of some people that were in the club and brought some other people in that have been awesome for us.

“Having ‘Truck’ (Ben Rutten) and Blake (Caracella) and Richo (Dan Richardson) come in from Richmond, such a strong club, has just put the icing on the cake in terms of what Woosha’s brought in.

“They’ve been great for us too and we’re building a really strong culture with the footy club. A lot of our younger group have seen that and seen how to actually behave as athletes and professional footballers.”

Zaharakis said Lloyd is out of touch with how the club is now positioned.

“Everyone is buying into what we’re trying to build and I think the footy club right now is in a really strong position - stronger than what it’s been in the last 12 years,” Zaharakis said.

“So I would dispute that highly, what Lloydy’s saying. If you’re not involved in the four walls of the footy club then you don’t really know what’s going on.”

3. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

May the mediocrity long continue.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Please keep being mediocre

Post Thanks / Like

Keep up the good work Zacca. Essendon are just fine-you keep refusing to listen to reason.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Zaharakis is one of the biggest pea-hearts getting around, he's the perfect spokesperson for that train wreck of a footy club.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Just when you thought Jakey's "borderline flying" quote might be the tastiest line out of Windy Hill this year, Lloydy knobs along and shits on his club's lack of "culture" since, coincidentally, Lloydy left.

May this sweet karmic fire burn eternal.

Heaven help "Truck" if they aren't flag favourites heading into September 2021.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Just when you thought Jakey's "borderline flying" quote might be the tastiest line out of Windy Hill this year, Lloydy knobs along and shits on his club's lack of "culture" since, coincidentally, Lloydy left.

May this sweet karmic fire burn eternal.

Heaven help "Truck" if they aren't flag favourites heading into September 2021.
    I also love, with all my heart, that Lloydy likely had this narrative locked and loaded for his various platforms before the pre-season even began, to be doled out once a month during 2020 given dead Duck Woosha 'n all, and in spite of EVERYTHING not least of all zero opportunity for the Bombres to shrug the coil, and still went, yeah nah, I'm rolling with it. Who wants to hear me out?

Be still my beating heart.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this has come up before but apparently the place Essendon was founded and played their first match is now the headquarters for the Church of Scientology in Melbourne.

I feel like all the pieces are so very close to fitting together and making sense now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I don't know if this has come up before but apparently the place Essendon was founded and played their first match is now the headquarters for the Church of Scientology in Melbourne.

I feel like all the pieces are so very close to fitting together and making sense now.
    Flemington Hill?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Flemington Hill?
    "The new Church of Scientology of Melbourne stands on a mid 19th century estate, known as Ailsa. The name derives from a Scottish island not far from where original owner, Robert McCracken, hailed. The head of one of Melbourne’s first families, McCracken founded the now legendary Essendon Football Club and, in 1873, the team played its first match on this very estate. Thus, Ailsa entered the annals of Australian sporting folklore."

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to add to this thread that I have a strong dislike for Sheedy and think his status in the game is overwrought.

14. Likes bornadog, Happy Days, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

4 September 2004

I remember that date without having to look it up. It makes me happy.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I just want to add to this thread that I have a strong dislike for Sheedy and think his status in the game is overwrought.
    Oh man the amount of credit he gets for coming up with "revolutionary" ideas like playing uncontested games on public holidays and using more money to build a list than anyone else is so frustrating.

His pre-game speech to GWS before their first game in that season he coached (?) is one of the most cringe things I've ever seen.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

18. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    4 September 2004

I remember that date without having to look it up. It makes me happy.
    https://twitter.com/EFCFinals