Thanks Thanks:  159
Likes Likes:  1,293
Page 54 of 118 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104 ... LastLast

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Somehow I don't trust player managers. If they can get more dollars for their client, it means more commission.
    Oh I agree I think player managers should be on a set fee.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

We really need to question Dunkley’s decision making...

"Essendon have been forced to backpedal after upsetting their players with an email on Friday night telling them the club was planning to withhold nine per cent of their wages this month.

The players were told by email at 8pm on Friday of the club's plan to withhold money, potentially in breach of AFL rules and player contracts, due to the AFL's cuts to the salary cap for next year.

Senior players were angry at the move, made without discussing it with them first, and immediately contacted their managers and the AFL Players Association."

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...mpression=true
    Last edited by azabob; 30-11-2020 at 08:45 AM.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    We really need to question Dunkley’s decision making...

Essendon have been forced to backpedal after upsetting their players with an email on Friday night telling them the club was planning to withhold nine per cent of their wages this month.

The players were told by email at 8pm on Friday of the club's plan to withhold money, potentially in breach of AFL rules and player contracts, due to the AFL's cuts to the salary cap for next year.

Senior players were angry at the move, made without discussing it with them first, and immediately contacted their managers and the AFL Players Association.

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...mpression=true
    Total incompetence to say the least
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Total incompetence to say the least
    Why would anyone want to go to an organisation like that with the way they treat their players?.

I get a sense that this won’t be fixed in a year ... more to come perhaps ???
    Compare it to west coast player led response :

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...28-p56iqu.html

I reckon Hurley must be feeling deeply gutted now that his in the twilight of his career and no hope for finals for years to come.

If Ryder did not join them last year it was an early warning sign.

Post Thanks / Like

You'd think it would be completely mind boggling for the EFC to pull this shit after how badly they treated their players through, prior and after the drugs saga, but they just can't help themselves.

They need to move away from trying to be a corporate club/ brand and actually start being a regular club that has brand and commercial responsibilities on top of football operations and stakeholder management. Footy clubs are purely operational, and the value is within the people who operate within them. The EFC actually thinks it's the other way around, in that instead of being an operational business they think they're a brand management and corporate business and folks are lucky to be a part of it. Apart from sheer arrogance (which actually is a huge possibility), there's not many other ways to explain how ridiculous the prospect of emailing players of a nine per cent pay cut actually is.

I guess when your top two folks are ex-executives from the likes of PWC and Westfield you're going to get the type of attitude where it's OK to email folks about a nine per cent pay cut permeating through the club. And when you look at the rest of their previous leaders it's understandable how this type of player abuse and mismanagement is ingrained.

If Josh Dunkley wasn't already aware of the type of organisation he was going to be walking into, I reckon he's probably a bit closer to being so.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You'd think it would be completely mind boggling for the EFC to pull this shit after how badly they treated their players through, prior and after the drugs saga, but they just can't help themselves.

They need to move away from trying to be a corporate club/ brand and actually start being a regular club that has brand and commercial responsibilities on top of football operations and stakeholder management. Footy clubs are purely operational, and the value is within the people who operate within them. The EFC actually thinks it's the other way around, in that instead of being an operational business they think they're a brand management and corporate business and folks are lucky to be a part of it. Apart from sheer arrogance (which actually is a huge possibility), there's not many other ways to explain how ridiculous the prospect of emailing players of a nine per cent pay cut actually is.

I guess when your top two folks are ex-executives from the likes of PWC and Westfield you're going to get the type of attitude where it's OK to email folks about a nine per cent pay cut permeating through the club. And when you look at the rest of their previous leaders it's understandable how this type of player abuse and mismanagement is ingrained.

If Josh Dunkley wasn't already aware of the type of organisation he was going to be walking into, I reckon he's probably a bit closer to being so.
    They need to stay right where they're at imo.

They have a laughably toxic culture and I think the fact that it was Essendon Dunkley "wanted" to go to gave us more confidence in our negotiations with them.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    They need to stay right where they're at imo.

They have a laughably toxic culture and I think the fact that it was Essendon Dunkley "wanted" to go to gave us more confidence in our negotiations with them.
    I only publicised my recommendations because the slightest whiff of them heading EFC's way would make them double down on their (insert one of SoS's delightful diatribe about EFC highlights here) attitude.

Long may they keep Dodoro, idolise Sheedy, pretend to be a corporation, and spoon feed the Soylent Green that is every single thing about their existence to their stupid members and supporters for ever and ever.

Post Thanks / Like

They go from one stuff up to another it’s amazing how consistent they are.
    Problem is they don’t learn .
    I wonder if Collingwood has anyone on the board from Essendon , because the Collingwood problem has bombers written all over it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

9% is quite a slice!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Was it this month ongoing or just this month? Also pretty sure it means they've been paying too much tax in previous months but that's probably a more minor issue.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just manna from heaven, via BomberBlitz:

When I was much younger I had the privilege of enjoying footy watching Watson, Wanganeen, Hird, Mercuri, Long, Fletcher absolutely love the Essendon football club, Sheedy being funny and brilliant.
    So I thinking I would be a good dad got my 4 children into Essendon before they could talk or walk, they have seen the complete opposite. Watching Hird cry, Watson lose a Brownlow, Daniher walking out on the club. So sad.
    Essendon football club isn’t the same.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember how cartoon characters used to leave so quickly that they’d disappear in a puff of smoke?

-That’s how I want you to imagine me as I head over to Bomberblitz.

Post Thanks / Like

For the record, as at today:

5,931 days since they last won a final

How are we all celebrating the BIG 6,000 on 7 February 2021? Party at the Dunkley household?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Astounding. To do it via email? Surely you would have gathered the senior players and explained the situation to them. Got them on board and garnered a spirit of we're all in this together......an email!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Astounding. To do it via email? Surely you would have gathered the senior players and explained the situation to them. Got them on board and garnered a spirit of we're all in this together......an email!
    Even the whole not gathering the senior players piece shows how much they don't really get stakeholder management. Appeasing the top of the hierarchy and expecting the others to fall into line shouldn't be how things are done either. A nine year veteran has little connection to a second year player, especially if the latter isn't elite or playing regular senior footy.