Thanks Thanks:  159
Likes Likes:  1,293
Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just reading on twitter that Jake Stringer has smashed his time trail and Essendon are looking for him to spend more time in the midfield. If the penny has finally dropped for Stringer then that's good news for the Bombers, the reality is that we have heard this for a few seasons now
    It's great that Jake is running well. But why would Essendon move a potential 3 goal per game forward into the mids.

The obsession first Bevo and now Worsfold have with moving him into the mids is driving me nuts. 3-4 CBD's per game.

If you want to get the best out of him, stick him inside 50m and kick the ball in his direction. Watch and enjoy what happens next.

Essendon will be a dangerous side next year and are a threat in every game due to their scoring potential. I get the frustration with all of the positive press they get despite poor on-field performances but if Hawthorn and Melbourne supporters are thinking Top 4 why wouldn't Essendon fans be thinking the same? I think we are going to win it so it isn't like I am any better!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes bulldogtragic, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It's great that Jake is running well. But why would Essendon move a potential 3 goal per game forward into the mids.

The obsession first Bevo and now Worsfold have with moving him into the mids is driving me nuts. 3-4 CBD's per game.

If you want to get the best out of him, stick him inside 50m and kick the ball in his direction. Watch and enjoy what happens next.

Essendon will be a dangerous side next year and are a threat in every game due to their scoring potential. I get the frustration with all of the positive press they get despite poor on-field performances but if Hawthorn and Melbourne supporters are thinking Top 4 why wouldn't Essendon fans be thinking the same? I think we are going to win it so it isn't like I am any better!
    I don't think he will ever have the tank to be mainly a midfielder so if I was at Essendon I would be be hoping for him to play 85% in forward line. They'd be happy with anything close to a 50 goal season. Jake's a talented player but coaches should be content with using him as a 3rd tall forward
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Essendon do better than just about every other team in Melbourne with the media pumping up their chances. They know they will get a heap of praise by the supporter base. I just can't see how they can perform well with the distraction of the planned coaching changes and the current injury list. The playing list lacks quality and depth anyway

They will need a lot of things to go right for them
    Essendon is still reeling from its poor Club management during its drugs saga. The Sheedy influence similar to Clarkson at Hawthorn has never been adequately replaced. The Hird/ Thompson coaching saga proved to be a disaster which still hangs over a Club that was one of the powerhouses of the League.

Post Thanks / Like

I 100% agree with your first point. The spot that Jake can play when he's at his peak is the hardest spot to fill on the ground, so of course the brains trust at Essendon are trying to move him out of it in the hope that he might do something else half as well.

Dangerous side next year though? Really doubt it. They have a piss poor midfield and have made no improvements to it short of moving their best player from their forward line into it, in spite of all evidence suggesting its a bad idea. Joe Daniher has more property interests in Sydney than functioning legs. They will be terrible next year and it will be beautiful.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I 100% agree with your first point. The spot that Jake can play when he's at his peak is the hardest spot to fill on the ground, so of course the brains trust at Essendon are trying to move him out of it in the hope that he might do something else half as well.

Dangerous side next year though? Really doubt it. They have a piss poor midfield and have made no improvements to it short of moving their best player from their forward line into it, in spite of all evidence suggesting its a bad idea. Joe Daniher has more property interests in Sydney than functioning legs. They will be terrible next year and it will be beautiful.
    I wouldn’t mind kicking 20+ goals straight against them again. That was crazily fun.

I am a big subscriber to some teams seasons almost being make or break in the first few rounds. If they get a few wins on the boards the place builds huge belief, but they are pretty fragile and have trouble backing up the truck if it goes the other way. I think Essendon is one such team and the opening three relatively ‘soft’ games against Freo (home), Sydney, and Carlton will likely define their year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    They did finally address their glaring weakness with inside mids by taking Mitch Hibberd from Willy.
    I'm not convinced with their ruck division but getting Smith back and having an actual big bodied inside mid makes them far more competitive.

A lot rests on Daniher getting fit because I just don't see a viable plan B as a KPF that doesn't rob their backline.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Don't misjudge yourself. You and I are on the same page on that one. Realism surely!!
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Essendon will struggle so long as Dyson Heppell is the captain. He's a decent player but he's a shithouse captain IMO. I recall him missing goals or not even making the distance last year in tight games. Good captains kick the important goals when they get the chance.

I hope the Bont is reading this.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Essendon will struggle so long as Dyson Heppell is the captain. He's a decent player but he's a shithouse captain IMO. I recall him missing goals or not even making the distance last year in tight games. Good captains kick the important goals when they get the chance.

I hope the Bont is reading this.
    I have seen Dyson Heppell twice in the last two weeks. Once at the zoo when I was working a shift and on Saturday when I was on my home from work he was standing at an intersection (it was a roundabout actually-the one outside 7-11 just down from Windy Hill) in Essendon with his partner-I'm assuming they were on their way to get some dinner.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind Dyson. He runs hard - how difficult it is to gut-run late in a game is underrated by your average (non running) footy fan.

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I don't mind Dyson. He runs hard - how difficult it is to gut-run late in a game is underrated by your average (non running) footy fan.
    I watched him at the zoo and kids were flocking to him to talk and get an autograph but Heppell was cool with it. Every kid got a bit of his time and attention-even the kids in jumpers or shirts that werent EFC branded got an autograph and some time.

The person I was working with asked who he was and when I told them she said "I thought that all footballers were stuck up arseholes-good for him"

15. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I watched him at the zoo and kids were flocking to him to talk and get an autograph but Heppell was cool with it. Every kid got a bit of his time and attention-even the kids in jumpers or shirts that werent EFC branded got an autograph and some time.

The person I was working with asked who he was and when I told them she said "I thought that all footballers were stuck up arseholes-good for him"
    It’s amazing how you can genuinely hate a player on the field and then they turn out to be the best blokes. I remember reading how Tex Walker went above and beyond for a young girl who ran out onto the field with the team to make her feel safe and confident.

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I have seen Dyson Heppell twice in the last two weeks. Once at the zoo when I was working a shift and on Saturday when I was on my home from work he was standing at an intersection (it was a roundabout actually-the one outside 7-11 just down from Windy Hill) in Essendon with his partner-I'm assuming they were on their way to get some dinner.
    Are you one of the exhibits Twodogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Joe is off to Ireland to try and sort out his groin.
    Poor guy, but it makes the Dodoro trade demands to Sydney even stranger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Are you one of the exhibits Twodogs?
    Nah, I've just got the best job in the world.