Thanks Thanks:  159
Likes Likes:  1,293
Page 62 of 118 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172112 ... LastLast

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Malthouse said in the Herald Scum yesterday that lookout for Essendon in the finals because they could do some real damage and go deep. He also said Geelong are the premiership favourites without mentioning us or Melbourne at all. He's an expert apparently.
    He is definitely an ex something
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    He is definitely an ex something
    An ex being a has been and a spurt being some liquid forced out by pressure.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Malthouse said in the Herald Scum yesterday that lookout for Essendon in the finals because they could do some real damage and go deep. He also said Geelong are the premiership favourites without mentioning us or Melbourne at all. He's an expert apparently.
    Gary Lyon said similar. After we beat his beloved Dees. Geelong were the favourites. On the other hand last Wednesday Gerard Whately on AFL360 said whoever wins between us and Melbourne will go into the finals series as favourite unequivocally. Ironically he is a Cat's supporter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Gary Lyon said similar. After we beat his beloved Dees. Geelong were the favourites. On the other hand last Wednesday Gerard Whately on AFL360 said whoever wins between us and Melbourne will go into the finals series as favourite unequivocally. Ironically he is a Cat's supporter.

Yeah, Gerard still has Geelong one and then WB two. David King has flipped and has us one.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong are playing the most imposing footy of all teams right now and still have Cameron and Duncan to come back. I have no problems with anyone having them as flag favourites, their list is primed.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit concerted that we aren't talking about Geelong at all. I think they're good.

Old Malted might have been wrong to omit us or the Dees, bit certainly Geelong are looming.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I can see a Bulldogs v Geelong Grand Final on the cards. If we get through finals unscathed with Keath, Dunkley, Wood and Treloar available and fit it gives us every chance to put the Geelong curse to bed once and for all and to right all the wrongs of so many wrongs in the past.

I'd love to get an opportunity to play the Cats in a Grand Final. If we could beat Geelong in a Grand Final it would be the absolute pinnacle moment in the history of our club and I'd be alive to see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I can see a Bulldogs v Geelong Grand Final on the cards. If we get through finals unscathed with Keath, Dunkley, Wood and Treloar available and fit it gives us every chance to put the Geelong curse to bed once and for all and to right all the wrongs of so many wrongs in the past.

I'd love to get an opportunity to play the Cats in a Grand Final. If we could beat Geelong in a Grand Final it would be the absolute pinnacle moment in the history of our club and I'd be alive to see it.
    Pencil no goals to Rohan & Jeremy Cameron. So a good match up there.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

I have seen the Cats beat us in a few finals, starting with the 1976 elimination final, 1992, 2009.

Have we ever beaten them in a final?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I have seen the Cats beat us in a few finals, starting with the 1976 elimination final, 1992, 2009.

You mean you didn't attend our famous finals wins over the cats in 1954 and 1956?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    You mean you didn't attend our famous finals wins over the cats in 1954 and 1956?
    Not born yet

Post Thanks / Like

Not born yet
    Sure you weren't.

Adelaide are the only team we have played in finals and never beaten (and I had the pleasure of attending all 3 loses).

We never played Fitzroy, and have never faced Gold Coast (nobody has), Fremantle, Port, and amazingly Richmond and Carlton.

Post Thanks / Like

BAD I've actually only ever seen us beat them live 3 times!

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beating Geelong would be unbelievably cathartic. I never thought I'd say this after the agonies of 97 and 98 but Adelaide just seem like another team to me these days, with my loathing centred on GWS and Essendon. (If we run out onto the G vs the Crows again in a final one day), I reserve the right to change my mind.

However the Cats have morphed into something I can't stand - a mix of all the heartbreaks they've inflicted in finals and now boasting a supremely unlikeable bunch of players, the fact that Taxpayer Funded Stadium gifts them a finals spot every year, and petulant Chris Scott.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

16. Likes 1eyedog, dadsgirl16, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beating Chris Scott in a GF would be the ultimate and probably the only thing that would compare to the heights of 2016.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.