Thanks Thanks:  159
Likes Likes:  1,293
Page 77 of 118 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1762

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I don't see that as an issue for Clarkson. That was mostly about the 80's when Alistair was running around bashing anyone in his playing days with North and Melbourne
    Wasn't he coaching for the Matthew Lloyd incident?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Wasn't he coaching for the Matthew Lloyd incident?
    If you are talking about the line in the sand game - no, Schwab was the coach (2004). Clarkson took over the following year.

Edit: sorry mixed my games up, yes Clarkson was coaching when Lloyd hit Sewell.
    Last edited by Axe Man; 16-08-2022 at 06:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If I was a Hawks player it would annoy me no end that a long standing coach went to the team they despise the most.
    In the modern world the rivalries disappear pretty quickly.

How did Hardwick cope going from an Essendon premiership player to Hawthorn assistant?
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else reckon Clarkson is gonna be a bit of a flop at his next club?

There is no doubting he is a good coach, but Hawthorn were pretty mediocre post-2016 under him, and while i thin he will improve whichever club he goes to it's gonna be a big deal and if he loses momentum and they don't improve significantly over the first 2-3 years he's gonna be under scrutiny considering the contract he'll likely get. I mean it's unlikely he is gonna get even one player as good as Roughead, let alone the best player of the 21st century so far.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post

There is no doubting he is a good coach, but Hawthorn were pretty mediocre post-2016 under him, and while i thin he will improve whichever club he goes to it's gonna be a big deal and if he loses momentum and they don't improve significantly over the first 2-3 years he's gonna be under scrutiny considering the contract he'll likely get. I mean it's unlikely he is gonna get even one player as good as Roughead, let alone the best player of the 21st century so far.
    Everyone forgets how amazing his playing lists were, which would be annoying for some of the players I reckon.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    If you are talking about the line in the sand game - no, Schwab was the coach (2004). Clarkson took over the following year.

Edit: sorry mixed my games up, yes Clarkson was coaching when Lloyd hit Sewell.
    The Hawthorn players were basically DARING Lloyd not to retire...It wasn't great. Bateman got 3 weeks I think for what was blatant retaliation...

I mean, there's been a lot of water under the bridge since 2009 but the bad blood between Clarkson and Essendon was pretty real back then (not to mention the bad blood between Clarkson and Lloyd).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Everyone forgets how amazing his playing lists were, which would be annoying for some of the players I reckon.
    It sure is.

They respect Clarko (a lot) as a coach but also have issues with the way he spoke to them AND his $ > TEAM mentality.

9. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how they administer the money because he isn't coming cheap.
    I don't think he is going to be able to turn a team around like he might have 3 or 4 years ago.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Dad! They tried to tell me you were dead but I knew it wasn't true
    Phantom. Ghost who walks. Man who cannot die.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Essendon hasn't won a final for TWENTY years. The one thing they do well is sacking coaches. I reckon coaching Essendon would be a nightmare. They STILL think they are the biggest most relevant club in town and the AFL keeps shovelling them opportunities and high profile games despite the drugs, the salary cap cheating and two decades of on field ineptness. They are being massaged and cuddled by the media and the AFL so they still think they're the 'chosen ones'. The Essendon board and supporter base and coterie groups etc must be full of pompous windbag egos and influential 'power brokers' and people with 'SIGNIFICANT FINANCIAL INTERESTS'. Essendon recently won a few games in a row against a couple of easy beats and some publicly acknowledged Covid affected teams and all of a sudden they are potential finalists??? They were Squealing like teenage pop fans about it on SEN. This is while they were still 4 games out of the eight. But that great media machine churns into action and Essendon are BACK!!! And a 'genuine threat'. If I was Clarkson I wouldn't touch the bombers with a 10 foot broken goal post. When they had the celebration of 150 years or whatever the F$%#^&* it was of Essendon......... and James Hird walks through the smoke and fireworks, and Sheedy writes a piece about how the AFL owes Hird and Essendon an apology I thought to myself............ The old, dishonest, ruthless, corrupt cartel that has run this club still have it by the throat. Nothing will change. Clarkson....... go to North Melbourne. For your own sake.
    Last edited by Dancin' Douggy; 17-08-2022 at 09:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Essendon hasn't won a final for TWENTY years. The one thing they do well is sacking coaches. I reckon coaching Essendon would be a nightmare. They STILL think they are the biggest most relevant club in town and the AFL keeps shovelling them opportunities and high profile games despite the drugs, the salary cap cheating and two decades of on field ineptness. They are being massaged and cuddled by the media and the AFL so they still think they're the 'chosen ones'. The Essendon board and supporter base and coterie groups etc must be full of pompous windbag egos and influential 'power brokers' and people with 'SIGNIFICANT FINANCIAL INTERESTS'. Essendon recently won a few games in a row against a couple of easy beats and some publicly acknowledged Covid affected teams and all of a sudden they are potential finalists??? They were Squealing like teenage pop fans about it on SEN. This is while they're still 4 games out of the eight. But that great media machine churns into action and Essendon are BACK!!! And a 'genuine threat'. If I was Clarkson I wouldn't touch the bombers with a 10 foot broken goal post. When they had the celebration of 150 years or whatever the F$%#^&* it was of Essendon......... and James Hird walks through the smoke and fireworks, and Sheedy writes a piece about how the AFL owes Hird and Essendon an apology I thought to myself............ The old, dishonest, ruthless, corrupt cartel that has run this club still have it by the throat. Nothing will change. Clarkson....... go to North Melbourne. For your own sake.
    I'm not 100% sutr that it was him but I think Mick Malthouse tipped Essendon to win this year's flag in a pre season preview.

I mean based on what Mick? What evidence are you putting forward for that particular piece of brilliant analysis? Why are people still paying you to express your amazing insight on the game?

FFS! BTW, You're Bogarting the crack pipe again Mick, time to pass it down this way mate.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

14. Likes jeemak, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Phantom. Ghost who walks. Man who cannot die.
    Ah I see. Well I guess that means I'm not the Phantom anymore. I'll leave Devil and Hero with the pygmy Bandar people in the Skull Cave for you. Get them to give me a shout when the time comes.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm not 100% sutr that it was him but I think Mick Malthouse tipped Essendon to win this year's flag in a pre season preview.

I mean based on what Mick? What evidence are you putting forward for that particular piece of brilliant analysis? Why are people still paying you to express your amazing insight on the game?

FFS! BTW, You're Bogarting the crack pipe again Mick, time to pass it down this way mate.
    Yes it was Malthouse who tipped Essendon to win the flag.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yes it was Malthouse who tipped Essendon to win the flag.
    Malthouse of 'can't see us losing a game' Carlton coaching fame?

Mick has been an amazing coach over the journey but is living proof even the best coaches have a shelf life.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

How many coaches win a Premiership at two clubs? It is rare.

In the AFL era only two. Matthews and Malthouse.

In the VFL era only Barassi (nearly 50 years ago), Jeans (nearly 40 years ago), Parkin (more than 20 years ago), Hughes (70 years ago) and Worrall (more than 100 years ago).

Which legendary coaches failed to win a Premiership at a second club?

Norm Smith
    Tommy Hafey
    Kevin Sheedy
    John Kennedy
    Dennis Pagan

Success at one club doesn't always result in success at another club.

19. Likes Mofra, Twodogs, Dry Rot liked this post