Thanks Thanks:  159
Likes Likes:  1,293
Page 78 of 118 FirstFirst ... 28686970717273747576777879808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1762

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

I don’t see Clarkson as the best option for Essendon, nor his best option. He would bring far more to North, have greater support and patience from club and supporters.

If I was Essendon’s board, I’d be going putting all chips in for Damien Hardwick. The Tigers are in a transitional period - Adam Kingsley would fit them well - and Hardwick would be ready for a new challenge rather than rebuilding the yellow and black. For the imbeciles at Tullamarine, they would love the return of their premiership hero, a coach of 3 flags, and with plenty of mongrel and pig-headedness to think the Bombers can rise again.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I question how easy it is for the coaches that buy into the fabric/family of the club to change clubs. I mean the Beveridge/Hardwick types that seem so emotionally invested in the group.

So much of their success comes from complete buy in both from the players and them to each other, it just seems like it would be really hard for them to move without at least a seasons break between senior coach jobs.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Another issue is they walk into their second club as a different person/ figure from within the game. That new person/ figure comes with expectations and baggage to deal with. The journey's different because of it, some of the magic is lost.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do get the feeling that Clarko, as good a she is, is being a tad overrated here and Ross Lyon severely underrated.
    Interesting to see who gets either the North or Bombers gig after Clarko makes his call. Caracella time? By all accounts he can coach and Blake is a massive, massive fan of Blake.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I do get the feeling that Clarko, as good a she is, is being a tad overrated here and Ross Lyon severely underrated.
    Interesting to see who gets either the North or Bombers gig after Clarko makes his call. Caracella time? By all accounts he can coach and Blake is a massive, massive fan of Blake.
    Lyon seems to accept that in a head to head showdown he will lose to Clarkson but I actually think he wouldn't mind being contracted by North first or Essendon once Clarkson makes his decision.

There was some speculation that Essendon are prepared to exceed the soft cap next year and pay the luxury tax to the AFL.
    This would accommodate Clarkson and his extended team. You would imagine some of those Coteries will cough up some money to make it happen.

I don't get why North or Essendon haven't reached out to Lyon as a back-up.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

I don't get why North or Essendon haven't reached out to Lyon as a back-up.
    Maybe North have? I wouldn't believe anything Ross Lyon says publicly.

The other option is Ken Hinkley.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Sheedy meddling again by suggesting Clarkson to North and then help them to relocate to Tassie.

He can relocate Essendon to Tassie, old prick
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised Sheedy sobered up long enough to make a statement.
    He certainly liked a drink in his last year as GWS "coach"
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Maybe North have? I wouldn't believe anything Ross Lyon says publicly.

The other option is Ken Hinkley.
    Just on Hinkley, he's ruled himself out but that could change depending on if Port has someone else in mind.

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has responded to reports North Melbourne will consider making a play for him, should they miss out on Alastair Clarkson.

Clarkson is set to decide between Essendon and the Roos in the near future, with the Roos needing to pivot fast if they don’t get the result.

SEN Chief Reporter Sam Edmund reported on Wednesday that Hinkley would be among the Kangaroos’ next targets, but the veteran coach says he is committed to seeing out his contract at the Power.

“I can only answer it the same way I’ve answered always. I’m committed to Port Adelaide and expect to see out my contract at Port Adelaide as Port Adelaide are to me,” Hinkley told SEN SA Breakfast.

“Sometimes you try to shortcut that question and people get critical of you trying to shortcut that question, but you’ve answered it so many times, for me, it’s been pretty clear from the club and myself – what more can we say?”

Clarkson touched down in Adelaide during the week for personal reasons, which naturally would have raised speculation about whether he may meet with Port, but the four-time premiership coach was kind enough to text Hinkley to give him a heads up and clear the air before arriving in South Australia.

“I did (get a text) actually – it was good of Clarko because he knows what’s going on in the footy landscape very well and he’s an incredibly successful coach, but also incredibly respectful and I think he probably understood what might happen when he landed in Adelaide,” the Power coach said.

“He just reached out to let me know that that was going to happen – and it certainly happened!”

The Power will not play finals in 2022. Their 0-5 start was too much to overcome, coupled with significant injuries to ruckmen, key defenders, Charlie Dixon and others.

Despite the mounting issues, Hinkley does not want to make excuses for their season.

“I don’t go after (excuses) in any way shape or form because I just put it down to a footy season and at times that’s what gets mixed up in the barrel and that’s what you’ve got to deal with and there’s been other clubs who have had equally as many challenges and they’ve been able to be successful, unfortunately for us, we haven’t been successful in 2022,” he said.

“I don’t go into the excuses barrel, some of those things are real, but the reality is seasons do that to us all the time.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sheedy meddling again by suggesting Clarkson to North and then help them to relocate to Tassie.

I didn’t know he could make suggestions other than Essendon playing marquee games in one-out time slots.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just on Hinkley, he's ruled himself out but that could change depending on if Port has someone else in mind.

Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley has responded to reports North Melbourne will consider making a play for him, should they miss out on Alastair Clarkson.

The whole David Kosch and Ken Hinkley relationship is just plain weird.

Two weeks ago Kosch puts the ultimatum on Hinkely (again) improve or else.

One week ago Hinkley says I'm not going anywhere

5 days ago Kosch say Hinkely will coach the club in 2023

I guarantee if Essendon or North put a five year deal in front of Hinkley he would take it and port would buy him a first class ticket on the first flight out!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    The whole David Kosch and Ken Hinkley relationship is just plain weird.

Two weeks ago Kosch puts the ultimatum on Hinkely (again) improve or else.

One week ago Hinkley says I'm not going anywhere

5 days ago Kosch say Hinkely will coach the club in 2023

I guarantee if Essendon or North put a five year deal in front of Hinkley he would take it and port would buy him a first class ticket on the first flight out!
    Was Clarkson in Adelaide to talk to Port?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Clarkson in Adelaide to talk to Port?
    I think he was but it's interesting that he once said something like he didn't want to be the reason why a a coach was forced out.
    Very different opinions of where he will land, the media think it's Essendon and yet the likes of Sam Mitchell think he won't go anywhere near a unstable club.

I guess we will know either today or tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Relevance depravation syndrome. He really needs to get off the goon bag.

All of Essendon's last 20 years of mediocrity can be sheeted home to Sheedy and his ego staying on about 4 years too long.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Relevance depravation syndrome. He really needs to get off the goon bag.

All of Essendon's last 20 years of mediocrity can be sheeted home to Sheedy and his ego staying on about 4 years too long.
    Isn't there also some speculation that he 'crossed the floor' so that Rutten could be moved on and that he wants Hird to replace him?