Thanks Thanks:  159
Likes Likes:  1,293
Page 83 of 118 FirstFirst ... 33737475767778798081828384858687888990919293 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1762

Thread: Essendon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You know it's a possibility don't you?
    When the prez was asked about Hird being the senior coach he flat batted the response when he should have said GTFOOH.
    Oh absolutely, I could see if happening. I guess if Steve Smith can get the opportunity to capt again, then Hird can coach again in the AFL. It would be an absolute joke if it was even allowed, but I know how the AFL as an organisation can be. If Hird gets the job, hopefully Ridley and Perkins want out (to the dogs).
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Can you give us a quick precis? Would love a smile on my face at the start of the weekend!
    Perhaps we need a weekly Essendon 5 o'clock Friday Funnies? A bit like happy hour.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps we need a weekly Essendon 5 o'clock Friday Funnies? A bit like happy hour.
    I feel dirty. For the first time ever, I went and looked at Bomber Blitz.

The first thing I noticed was a genuine thread with 4854 replies called "Russia invades Ukraine". I haven't clicked into it, but I'd take a stab that either Vladimir Putin could be their "Plan B", or alternatively James Hird is up for next Defence Minister of Russia.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

4. Likes EasternWest, GVGjr, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I feel dirty. For the first time ever, I went and looked at Bomber Blitz.

The first thing I noticed was a genuine thread with 4854 replies called "Russia invades Ukraine". I haven't clicked into it, but I'd take a stab that either Vladimir Putin could be their "Plan B", or alternatively James Hird is up for next Defence Minister of Russia.
    It is a terrifying prospect to consider what might be in that thread

Post Thanks / Like

It was a terrible performance by David Barham real deer in the headlights. Clearly unhappy with how the club has performed but he did not provide a clear vision on how he's going to fix the mess he created. FFS David Barham allow Rutten to leave with some dignity.

7. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

10 years from now we'll all have a laugh as we reflect on the heady times of Dave Barham's five day tenure as Essendon President.
    Did laugh
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Speaking of farcical, surely they won’t get Hird back….surely.
    Maybe they'll hire that ol fool Sheedy
    Last edited by G-Mo77; 19-08-2022 at 08:40 PM.

13. Likes EasternWest, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Maybe they'll hire taht ol fool Sheedy
    Inject it into my veins

15. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From Fox Sports

Bombers return ‘legitimately on’ for Hird amid great’s ‘Plan B’ warning

A James Hird-Essendon reunion is “legitimately on,” according to Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph, as the under-fire Bombers weigh up whether to keep coach Ben Rutten on for the final year of his contract.

New Bombers president David Barham on Friday apologised for keeping Rutten in the dark this week amid the club’s failed pursuit of Alastair Clarkson and revealed the board would make a call on the second-year coach’s fate on Sunday.

Barham wasn’t willing to speculate on a Hird return despite a report stating he’d emerged as a “serious” contender to replace Rutten. Hird returned to club land this year in a part-time role at GWS following his departure from Essendon in 2015 during the infamous supplements saga.

Speaking on Fox Footy, Ralph revealed some senior figures at Essendon are in favour of bringing Hird back to the Hangar to lead a coaching panel of ex-Bombers and current Giants coaches Mark McVeigh and Dean Solomon.

“All of the options for Essendon, let's face it, are so much further than ideal and they should be,” Ralph told Fox Footy.

“James Hird is the Messiah – and that return to Essendon is legitimately on, according to senior figures in the club who continue to push this very strong. Quite clearly Kevin Sheedy is one of them.

“So Hird could lead a dream team of Essendon favourites with Dean Solomon and Mark McVeigh also returning. Solomon is tipped for a senior role anyway, but if McVeigh gets the GWS role, Hird and Solomon have pledged they will stay with him, so they seem to be a trio.

“One theory tonight is that even if (CEO) Xavier Campbell is not in favor of Hird returning – and who knows whether he will be – well (board member) Kevin Sheedy might just have the numbers anyway and he might be able to get his way.”

Triple premiership Lion Jonathan Brown said he could see Hird returning to coach the Bombers next year – “but it depends on how many numbers on the board he’s got” – but St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt said Hird would have to follow in Michael Voss’ footsteps and complete a longer stint as an assistant before stepping up again.

“I think it’s more weighted towards he’s been out of the game a while — I know he’s put his toes back in with GWS helping ‘Spike’ McVeigh up there,” Riewoldt said on Fox Footy.

“But you just look at the way Michael Voss has done it. He’s done a really good second apprenticeship at Port Adelaide, came back and looks to be well in control of that Carlton line-up.

“I think if ‘Hirdy’ does have those coaching aspirations — clearly he’s a massive figure at Essendon, the ties with Sheedy and the influence there, I get it — but I think he would be doing himself a disservice to not go through a similar sort of path to Michael Voss.”

Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy called for the Bombers to not rush the process if they do indeed begin a coaching search.

“Plan B is I think they’ve got to sit down and start making some clear decisions — not under pressure as they were,” he said on Fox Footy Live.

“Make the call on ‘Truck’ (Rutten), and that’s more likely that you don’t go on. Once that decision is made you’ve got to draw up a list and you’ve got to get the best coach.

“There’s Ross Lyon out there, there’s a lot of talk about James Hird out there, there’s young coaches out there, Adam Yze we believe has already been plucked. Adam Kingsley has come second again, do they go to Adam Kingsley?

“Find the best person, go through a process, don’t be rushed, because rushing got you into trouble last time.”

Healy believes former St Kilda and Fremantle coach Lyon would be the best fit to help fix the Bombers’ defensive issues.

“They’re talking about defence, they want a defensive coach … Ross Lyon is the best defensive coach out there that’s got a proven track record. Hasn’t won a flag but gotten awfully close,” he said.

Ex-Hawthorn sharpshooter Ben Dixon also called for the Bombers to take their time with a Plan B after missing out on Clarkson as they prepare to undertake an external review after recently completing an internal probe.

“When you do an internal review you know 80 per cent of the time what information you have is going to take you on the path you want to take or you’ve got to make some decisions,” he said.

“It’s not a case of some other club is going to take a coach you want or could good for your club and, ‘we haven’t quite finished what we need to do, let’s go.’ In a professional organisation or any corporate organisation, that’s just not how it works.”

It comes after reports emerged that furious Bombers players unleashed on Barham on Friday due to the poor treatment of Rutten, who could coach his last game for the club in Saturday night’s clash against Richmond.

And Jonathan Brown admitted he wouldn’t be surprised if one of their stars requested a trade at the end of the season.

“Zach Merrett spoke openly about the fact that he wanted to consider his options last year,” he said.

“He wanted to be convinced the Essendon Football Club were heading in the right direction, eventually he re-signed. But he’d be second guessing this decision now, that’s for sure.”

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming they get rid of Rutten then what's the rush to appoint a new coach? It's the end of the season. Even pre season training is 6 weeks away
    At least let the external review play and and then they can appoint James Hird.

If I were a cynical person I'd almost suspect this whole pig's breakfast only had one purpose and that was to bring James Hird back as senior coach
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Assuming they get rid of Rutten then what's the rush to appoint a new coach? It's the end of the season. Even pre season training is 6 weeks away
    At least let the external review play and and then they can appoint James Hird.

If I were a cynical person I'd almost suspect this whole pig's breakfast only had one purpose and that was to bring James Hird back as senior coach
    I think that's exactly why Sheedy crossed the floor. It wasn't about getting Clarkson it was about creating an opportunity for Hird.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's exactly why Sheedy crossed the floor. It wasn't about getting Clarkson it was about creating an opportunity for Hird.
    Yep precisely. And I bet Clarkson would have known that he was just filling a spot and would have been moved on the moment Essendon lost 3 games on a row in favour of Hird.

Essendon and James Hird are like Sid and Nancy. Star crossed lovers who are no good for one other but just can't stay away from each other
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

20. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If they bring back Hird they will be the laughing stock of the AFL world and consign themselves to another 20+ years of mediocrity. Please Bombers. Please. Bring back the prodigal son James Hird.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    If they bring back Hird they will be the laughing stock of the AFL world and consign themselves to another 20+ years of mediocrity. Please Bombers. Please. Bring back the prodigal son James Hird.
    Implying they're not already.
    "It's over. It's all over."

23. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post