Thanks Thanks:  77
Likes Likes:  355
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Cody Weightman

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Both excellent athletes and both natural smaller forward taken high in the draft which is good to see.

Just being a bit picky here BT, but you should bold the lower number in clangers and turnovers to show who's leading those fields.
    For you, anything.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After this Round: Cody vs Rising Star Class (There’s 67 Rising Star players - I.e. Cody vs 66 others)

Totals (remember Cody has only 4 Games, so he’s going against most players who have 10-12 Games to rack up much more stats. Still having played 1/2 to 1/3 less games of his rising star class though, is output his huge):

Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Goals
    Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
    Ranked 11th among rising stars in Total Marks Inside 50
    Ranked 14th among rising stars in Total Contested Marks
    Ranked 15th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists

Already in the top 10% to 22% on five crucial metrics, despite only playing 4 of 12 games.

Averages for Cody vs the other 66 Rising Star Players:

Ranked 1st among rising stars in Goals Per Game
    Ranked 1st among rising stars in Score Involvements Per Game
    Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Tackles Inside 50 Per Game — 1st B. McCreery, Collingwood
    Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game — 1st E. Gulden, Sydney
    Ranked 4th among rising stars in Marks Inside 50 Per Game — 1-3 M. Georgiades, Port, J. Koschitzke & T. Brockman, Hawthorn
    Ranked 4th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game — 1-3 T. Green, GWS, E. Gulden, Sydney, L. Scholl, Crows
    Ranked 8th among rising stars in Inside 50s Per Game
    Ranked 9th among rising stars in Contested Marks Per Game
    Ranked 14th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
    Ranked 16th among rising stars in Kicks Per Game

And it’s how his doing it. From the boundary, snaps, over his head, on the run, plus pressure, pressure, pressure. May he never play VFL again. What a four week stint versus Port in Port, Saints, Dees & Freo in Freo. This is the data that shows he makes us a better team with him in it.

#ILoveCody
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 07-06-2021 at 03:23 AM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes jeemak, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting to really, really love this kid. Lot of people are starting to call him a Toby Greene type, if we can have that (Without the attitude) I'll take that in our team any day of the week.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very relieved.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Most pleasing is the opposition he has done it against. We have played 3 very tough games in his 4 and he has kicked at least 1 in every game.

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Starting to really, really love this kid. Lot of people are starting to call him a Toby Greene type, if we can have that (Without the attitude) I'll take that in our team any day of the week.
    No, no! Cody can be cheeky, annoying, and a pest...but Greene is a nasty thug doing much of his grubby work in ways that are cowardly. I don’t want to see that comparison at all.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

10. Likes Topdog, josie, WBFC4FFC, Mutz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I may have missed it but is there a stat for pressure acts BT?

Please and thank you.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I may have missed it but is there a stat for pressure acts BT?

Please and thank you.
    I can’t find a full comparison for this stat. But this weekend Weightman had 21 & Pickett had 22.

Cody does everything Pickett does, but has a vastly superior marking game on top.

13. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I can’t find a full comparison for this stat. But this weekend Weightman had 21 & Pickett had 22.

Cody does everything Pickett does, but has a vastly superior marking game on top.
    18 a game for Cody (14, 11, 26 & 22)

21.6 a game for Pickett - classified as elite on the AFL app. His lowest for the year is 16 which is crazy good!

No easy way to compare it, have to literally open both player profiles and click on the specific stat.

15. Thanks bulldogtragic, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gerard Healy today again mentioned Melbourne recruiters were worried if they missed securing Weightman, that it was a tough call. Healy said both clubs would be thrilled. He’s right. Amazing that two players from different states were both the players wanted and so far, their output is near identical, if not a little favouring Cody in some more crucial areas:

Weightman vs Pickett

2021 Stats in Averages

9.0 Kicks 7.9
    3.0 Handballs 4.6
    12 Disposals 12.5
    3.9 Marks 2.4
    2.0 Goals 1.4
    1.1 Behinds 1.3
    63.6% Goal Accuracy 51.2%
    2.1 Tackles 3.3
    2.9 Inside 50s 2.5
    0.9 Goal Assists 0.5
    5.3 Contested Possessions 6.4
    6.6 Uncontested Possessions 6.1
    7.6 Eff, Disposals 7.6
    63.3% Disp. Eff. % 60.8%
    2.0 Clangers 2.5
    0.9 Cont. Marks 0.1
    2.3 Marks I50 1.2
    0.5 Rebound 50s 0.2
    75.0 TOG % 76.8
    6.4 Score Involve. 5.4
    233.4 Metres Gained 225.7
    2.9 Turnovers 2.3
    1.6 Intercepts 1.6
    1.4. Tackles I50 1.5
    74.4 Supercoach 68.3

Cody has him covered so far this year in all the stats that matter. Time for hype train to leave.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 04-07-2021 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Removed clearance, not indicative

17. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's really blossoming, and is going to be a very tricky match up for opposition coaches. He's a key forward in a small man's body, BUT probably the thing that's enabled him to fit into our forward line is his willingness to add defensive pressure and crumbing work to his arsenal.

Post Thanks / Like

After this Round: Cody vs Rising Star Class (There’s 67 Rising Star players - I.e. Cody vs 66 others)

Totals (remember Cody has only 7 Games, so he’s going against most players who have 12-15 Games to rack up much more stats. Still having played 1/2 games of his rising star class though, is output his huge):

7 Games:

Ranked 13th comp wide Marks Inside 50
    Ranked 14th comp wide Tackles Inside 50
    Ranked 17th comp wide Goals Per Game

Ranked 4th among rising stars for Total Marks I50
    Ranked 5th among rising stars for Total Goals
    Ranked 7th among rising stars for Total Goals Assist
    Ranked 10th among rising stars for Total Contested Marks

Already in the top 10% to 22% on five crucial metrics, despite only playing 7 of 15 games.

Ranked 1st among rising stars in Marks Inside 50 Per Game
    Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Tackles Inside 50 Per Game — 1st B. McCreery, Collingwood
    Ranked 5th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game — 1-3 T. Green, GWS, E. Gulden, Sydney, L. Scholl, Crows
    Ranked 10th among rising stars in Contested Marks Per Game

Contender for GOTY at Port Adelaide over his head. Contender for MOTY tonight. Sam Power needs to sign him up before his price goes through the roof.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 04-07-2021 at 09:28 PM.

20. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, jeemak, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's good the lad. Really like him and think that it's great having a versatile small to medium forward who can genuinely play the role in the side for the first time since Dickson.

Look out for when he's four or five preseasons into his career, he'll be getting up and down the ground and absolutely burning players off.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Totals (remember Cody has only 7 Games, so he’s going against most players who have 12-15 Games to rack up much more stats. Still having played 1/2 games of his rising star class though, is output his huge):

7 Games:

Ranked 13th comp wide Marks Inside 50
    Ranked 14th comp wide Tackles Inside 50
    Ranked 17th comp wide Goals Per Game

Ranked 4th among rising stars for Total Marks I50
    Ranked 5th among rising stars for Total Goals
    Ranked 7th among rising stars for Total Goals Assist
    Ranked 10th among rising stars for Total Contested Marks

Already in the top 10% to 22% on five crucial metrics, despite only playing 7 of 15 games.

Ranked 1st among rising stars in Marks Inside 50 Per Game
    Ranked 5th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game — 1-3 T. Green, GWS, E. Gulden, Sydney, L. Scholl, Crows
    Ranked 10th among rising stars in Contested Marks Per Game

Contender for GOTY at Port Adelaide over his head. Contender for MOTY tonight. Sam Power needs to sign him up before his price goes through the roof.
    Remember when we was a wasted selection and nobody wanted him?

Me neither, let's not look back through this thread.
    "It's over. It's all over."

23. Likes azabob, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Remember when we was a wasted selection and nobody wanted him?

Me neither, let's not look back through this thread.
    I’ve been avoiding it. I don’t know what he did last year. I was happy we got him and happy he’s delivering. I did see the Pickett stuff mentioned way too often and decided to point out the jet we have from time to time.

I know the Rising Star is a made up nonsense. But Cody is #1 in three key stats and #2 in two key stats. That gives cover for them to pick him. Add to that GOTY & MOTY contenders, a highlights reel to sell interest in the game, the public has been exposed to him on prime time and be the best unpaid happy ambassador the AFEL could hope to get. There is a self interest for the AFEL that can’t be denied.