Thanks Thanks:  77
Likes Likes:  355
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Cody Weightman

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    There is certainly no way that Dahl could have kicked a goal from where Cody scored his first.

That was well beyond Luke's distance range.
    Easy to crap of Dahl now he's motovated elsewhere, but he was a jet for us for a long time, and often one of few reasons to get excited about footy.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Easy to crap of Dahl now he's motovated elsewhere, but he was a jet for us for a long time, and often one of few reasons to get excited about footy.
    His debut year was so super exciting and fun. I have great memories of this tiny kid hidden underneath this mop of dreads being unlike anybody else on our list.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah good spot on Cody's second goal being very Dahl like.

Dahl is a Bulldogs champion. He had his limitations but was as hard as nails and tried his guts out for the vast majority of his career with us.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Not intending to be disrespectful. He was terrific for us. Kicking, however was (and still is) his weak spot. he struggled to kick 40 metres consistently and was never pinpoint.

He was a great pressure player and quick with his hands. Chris Scott appears to be using him to maximise his strengths.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

5. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The club got their pound of flesh too the kids club was the “Dalhaus clubhouse” from memory. Geelong certainly play him to his strengths. I can see the review now when he kicks it :
    Chris Scott : Luke what did you do wrong here mate ?
    Dahl : Ah...kicked it?
    Chris pats him on the back and leaves.

7. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Worth the weight: Debutant Dog now in godfather mix for teammate's baby

THERE was some initial nervousness about moving Cody Weightman into Mitch and Emily Wallis' family home at the end of 2019.
    Emily was pregnant with baby Charlotte at the time and the Wallis family wasn't sure about how the Western Bulldogs draftee would handle it.

Eight months on, Weightman was one of the first to visit Charlotte after she was born and the 19-year-old thinks he could be a "smokey" choice as her godfather.

"He's (Weightman) definitely going to play a big role in her (Charlotte's) life," Mitch Wallis told AFL.com.au.
    "He treats Emily really well. Emily and I haven't had the godparent chat but he'll definitely come into consideration."

Wallis and Weightman are both optimistic people by nature and the two immediately got along, with the ex-Dandenong Stingrays forward keen to absorb everything he could from his mentor when he moved in.

"He's so genuine, Cody, he's full of excitement and really bubbly," Wallis said.
    "I feel like an older brother and a best mate as well.
    "He asked a thousand questions about how AFL footy was."

The energetic forward has skills above his head despite his size much like Jamie Elliott

Weightman has been a dedicated trainer for a long time and the quirks that have already made him a fan favourite crept into his preparation at the Wallis household.

He meditates regularly and completes his stretching at "obscene times" really early in the morning and late at night, but it was the nutritional nuances that chef Wallis provided that shone through.

"I taught him a few things in the kitchen, but it was more around timing and size of meals," Wallis said.
    "My wife and I always go to the market and get fresh produce so it was more around ways to cook, portion sizes and when to eat carb meals."

It was fitting that Wallis was the one to present Weightman his jumper ahead of his debut game, and a moment that the 27-year-old will never forget.
    "It's definitely going to be one I'll remember post my footy career," Wallis said.
    "I got the call from 'Bevo' (Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge) the night before and I was really chuffed, I was so excited to tell my wife who's had a lot to do with Cody.
    "It was a really nice 48 hours of footy that I can compartmentalise in my head that I can re-capture and re-trace every now and then."
    The two starred in Weightman's first game against Essendon, with two goals for the protege and three for his mentor.
    The on-the-field teachings about discipline Wallis passed on were in effect straight away.

Bont (Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli) was available for a short kick on a better angle, but he (Weightman) put up his hand to say 'Nah skip, I've got this' – it was a bit of a bold move early

- Mitch Wallis

Weightman already had the instinct and the talent, but it was the running patterns on turnovers, efficient tackling techniques and manning the mark the right way that Wallis handed down.

"The best thing about Cody is his footy IQ is really high, even his goal sense and the one he kicked on the weekend – you can't teach those things," Wallis said.

Weightman's first career disposal will go down as one of the most thrilling passages in recent memory and Wallis had a front-row seat to the contested mark and incredible finish from the forward pocket.

An impressive debut from Cody Weightman getting better by the second

"I can remember it vividly," Wallis said.
    "Bont (Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli) was available for a short kick on a better angle, but he (Weightman) put up his hand to say 'Nah skip, I've got this' – it was a bit of a bold move early.

"I wasn't sure what type of kick he was going to do, he was setting up and it was too far out for his left foot.
    "I was just above the goalsquare and as soon as he hit it I knew it was going to sail through because he hit it so sweetly and then I sprinted over to him."

Wallis has taken huge steps as a mentor, but his personal game has transitioned a lot over the past three years.
    In 2018 he began his evolution from a full-time midfielder into a hybrid and kicked 20 goals and three behinds, but he still averaged three-and-a-half clearances per game.

Those midfield days are behind him, 95 per cent of his minutes in 2020 have come in a deep forward role.
    Wallis has spent plenty of time in the film room breaking down all the reads he needs to become consistent in a role that by nature can be feast or famine.

"I spend a lot of time with (Bulldogs forwards coach) Ash Hansen looking at behind the goals vision and working on decision-making," Wallis said.
    "The quicker you can make a decision off the back of what's happening up the play, the better position you get in.
    "My strength in the body in the one on ones, the more often I can in those situations from making those early decisions, the more opportunities I get to use those strengths and turn it into scores."

Weightman has now moved out from the Wallis household, but he's always welcome around for a feed once or twice a week.

Conversations about how the master and his protege combined for five goals in their first match together are sure to dominate dinner discussions for years to come.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

A terrific debut.
    But I hear what Gvgjr is saying. The flashy stuff is great, and we need some of that in the forward line for sure - as long as he also does the basics really well. Like set shots.
    He also had that play where he took a semi-speccy and immediately played on to nobody.....which I'll chalk up as 1st game adrenalin.

The short turn arounds will create frequent line up changes and we'll get a good look at Flea this year. There's no mad rush for him to become a 1st 22 every week sort of player - but really hopeful that he is a long term forward for us, and seems a great kid. He's already a favourite of my 9 year old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    A terrific debut.
    But I hear what Gvgjr is saying. The flashy stuff is great, and we need some of that in the forward line for sure - as long as he also does the basics really well. Like set shots.
    He also had that play where he took a semi-speccy and immediately played on to nobody.....which I'll chalk up as 1st game adrenalin.

The short turn arounds will create frequent line up changes and we'll get a good look at Flea this year. There's no mad rush for him to become a 1st 22 every week sort of player - but really hopeful that he is a long term forward for us, and seems a great kid. He's already a favourite of my 9 year old.
    He really does seem to "generate his own energy" which may well be important as hub life continues.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Cody had a pretty good game on the weekend, and with three in the hostile pits of Adelaide may have come close to a rising star nomination, but alas, Green from GWS did instead.

Weightman - playing high/ low forward ended up with nine kicks, three handballs, five tackles and three goals

Green - playing midfield ended up with nine kicks, fifteen handballs, four tackles and a goal

Both very good games, and can't be too upset with Cody missing out because of the involvement in the game Green had. However, I think Cody influenced the game more as a forward than Green did as a mid. You only have to look at the packaged highlights for Green to see it was a pretty generic game.

Anyway, let's just leave this thread here. Cody will get his time.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I thought Cody had a pretty good game on the weekend, and with three in the hostile pits of Adelaide may have come close to a rising star nomination, but alas, Green from GWS did instead.

Weightman - playing high/ low forward ended up with nine kicks, three handballs, five tackles and three goals

Green - playing midfield ended up with nine kicks, fifteen handballs, four tackles and a goal

Both very good games, and can't be too upset with Cody missing out because of the involvement in the game Green had. However, I think Cody influenced the game more as a forward than Green did as a mid. You only have to look at the packaged highlights for Green to see it was a pretty generic game.

We all know from experience that the Rising Star award is bogus

14. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Six tackles inside F50 is a massive contribution. Critical stat for mine as it's exactly what we need (aside from goals of course).

16. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Green has had some other good games this year, Adelaide one comes to mind especially, and has been close to a nomination for a while now, so I'm fine with him getting the nomination this week. If Cody keeps playing well he'll get one in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Green has had some other good games this year, Adelaide one comes to mind especially, and has been close to a nomination for a while now, so I'm fine with him getting the nomination this week. If Cody keeps playing well he'll get one in time.
    I haven't seen Green's game but it must have been an absolute belter to get the nod over Cody's game.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Six tackles inside F50 is a massive contribution. Critical stat for mine as it's exactly what we need (aside from goals of course).
    He also had 6 tackles at VFL level the week prior.
    If anything that's a tick for the way he's been developed

Quite weird that a first round draft pick is now playing and collectively it feels more like a bonus rather than a critical part of our side.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

20. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, Dry Rot, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Quite weird that a first round draft pick is now playing and collectively it feels more like a bonus rather than a critical part of our side.
    The Kozzy effect.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.