Thanks Thanks:  77
Likes Likes:  355
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Cody Weightman

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    30% higher output than Johno. That would be a huge career with us if he played anywhere near 300 games let alone what Johno played.

To think he’s already above the best most recent mid forwards at only 61 games is perhaps validation that as he gets more consistency and experience that he can nudge 2 goals a game.
    I guess that given Johnno played a lot of his early football on a wing perhaps as much as 80 to 100 games before being played more forward and becoming a regular goal kicker at close to 2 goals per game average.
    It won't be easy for Weightman to achieve that but he's off to a decent start.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

2 goals a game as a small forward is just about as good as it gets without them being your primary avenue to goal. Maybe when he's hot he should do that but with Jamarra, Naughton and Darcy around I'd be happy if he continues to average 1.7-2 goals a game and gets more involved with the ball and added an element of consistency to his game outside of just goal kicking.

I think he's a good pressure player at his best too though maybe that's fallen away a little since 2021?

Disposal numbers, assists, tackles, pressure. That's probably the most efficient way to get more from Weightman. The goals will come in spurts, which is the nature of his position. Contributing more around those spurts would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    30% higher output than Johno. That would be a huge career with us if he played anywhere near 300 games let alone what Johno played.

To think he?s already above the best most recent mid forwards at only 61 games is perhaps validation that as he gets more consistency and experience that he can nudge 2 goals a game.
    While he has a higher goal average, he is not really comparable to Johno or Gia.

He has been played about 99.9% as a forward where Gia and Johno didn't get to that until the later stages of their careers.

More comparable to Tory Dickson and tracking very well in comparison.

I like the Stringer comparison and if he can produce near the best of Stringer with a professional attitude it will be a great career.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

4. Likes GVGjr, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some other guys that might be an interesting comparison point -
    Eddie Betts kicked 1.8 goals per game
    Stephen Milne kicked 2.1 goals per game
    Cyril kicked a touch under 1.5 goals per game
    Toby Greene is at 1.5 goals per game

Obviously not the be all and end all, and those guys brought different facets as well, but Cody's had no trouble hitting the scoreboard. I think a lot of his work now is about becoming a more well-rounded footballer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post

Obviously not the be all and end all, and those guys brought different facets as well, but Cody's had no trouble hitting the scoreboard. I think a lot of his work now is about becoming a more well-rounded footballer.
    Russell Robertson and Charlie Cameron were 2 others I looked at for comparison too. Also compares alright as far as goals go against them

Post Thanks / Like

There has been understandable comparisons between Cody and Kossie Pickett since both were drafted, obviously because we were very keen on Kossie and got pipped by Melbourne. I would suggest the more accurate apples with apples comparison is between Cody and Fritsch - we all hate Beavis' annoying head but he is a nightmare match-up for most teams and got it done huge time on the biggest stage there is.

Cody's career progression is similarly tracking along beautifully. He's not that small pressure forward we need but he is a fantastic hybrid forward who consistently hits the scoreboard - not an easy role at all.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And perhaps Jamie Elliot? (Sorry if name wrong-gun Pies small forward).

Post Thanks / Like

Just about his best trait is his accuracy. Hiccuped a bit last year along with the rest of the team, but he's just about as accurate as Dicko.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
    Just about his best trait is his accuracy. Hiccuped a bit last year along with the rest of the team, but he's just about as accurate as Dicko.
    see here

Dicko on 74.79
    Cody: 70.67

* based on scoring shots
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Thanks Uninformed thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    There has been understandable comparisons between Cody and Kossie Pickett since both were drafted, obviously because we were very keen on Kossie and got pipped by Melbourne. I would suggest the more accurate apples with apples comparison is between Cody and Fritsch - we all hate Beavis' annoying head but he is a nightmare match-up for most teams and got it done huge time on the biggest stage there is.

Cody's career progression is similarly tracking along beautifully. He's not that small pressure forward we need but he is a fantastic hybrid forward who consistently hits the scoreboard - not an easy role at all.
    I'd take Fritsch in a heartbeat and I'd trade chef to do it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'd take Fritsch in a heartbeat and I'd trade chef to do it.
    Boo.
    The curse is dead.

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    see here

Dicko on 74.79
    Cody: 70.67

* based on scoring shots
    Second most accurate active player. Just a natural forward.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Boo.
    Are you saying Boo-urns?
    "It's over. It's all over."

20. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Are you saying Boo-urns?

22. Likes EasternWest, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jake Stringer is the Dogs player Cody reminds me of most in terms of style and interestingly also goes at 1.7 per game. Both have that mercurial streak, get their tails up when they're on top of an opponent and are tough match-ups in that they're hybrid threats at ground level and in the air. I thought Cody's game on the weekend was straight out of the Stringer 2015 play-book.

I think the challenge for Cody is closing the gap between best and worst. He's clearly in amazing condition this year, and his professionalism sets him apart from someone like Jake, but I think the improvement will come in how he contributes in ways that aren't on the scoreboard. Would like to see him round out his game in terms of forward 50 pressure (big improvement from the first round) and you'd like to see him play 'provider' a little more than he does.

Great signs though, feel like he could be in for a breakout year.
    Interesting comparison, after 61 Games:

Stringer: 117 Goals
    Weightman: 106 Goals

Stringer hit his career peak already by this point, while Cody is yet to fully hit his potential in most likelihood.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

24. Likes EasternWest, hujsh liked this post