Thanks Thanks:  77
Likes Likes:  354
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Western Bulldogs: Cody Weightman

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What round will he debut?
    All goes well Bevo should will give him the nod Round 1.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Thanks bulldogtragic, ratsmac thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like he will fit in very well both from a playing and character perspective.

I still wonder if we can afford to play Lloyd, Dale, Dickson and Schache in the same forward line. Dickson is petering out now but the other 3 don't apply defensive pressure.

I wouldn't mind another pressure forward, though that may rob us of goals as Lloyd, Dale and Schache have hit the scoreboard well.

Post Thanks / Like

We seem to have a model of player we look at which is one who lives and breathes football, has high ambitions to get the best out of football , life and also driven in everything they choose to do.
    I see huge similarities with Cody and Bailey, almost twins in that regard.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the way he talked about us pre-draft and the way his face lit up when talking about us. He was happy to be drafted but really wanted us. As members (& fans) what more could you want than a Top 15 kid who wants to be, and is excited to be, at our club (& who is very talented as a small forward). He looks very happy in the RW&B and I see him becoming a fan favourite nearly immediately.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be fair to Schache, I believe he is improving in this area of his game.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Looks like he will fit in very well both from a playing and character perspective.

I still wonder if we can afford to play Lloyd, Dale, Dickson and Schache in the same forward line. Dickson is petering out now but the other 3 don't apply defensive pressure.

I wouldn't mind another pressure forward, though that may rob us of goals as Lloyd, Dale and Schache have hit the scoreboard well.

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I loved the way he talked about us pre-draft and the way his face lit up when talking about us. He was happy to be drafted but really wanted us. As members (& fans) what more could you want than a Top 15 kid who wants to be, and is excited to be, at our club (& who is very talented as a small forward). He looks very happy in the RW&B and I see him becoming a fan favourite nearly immediately.
    There were a few top 10 picks that looked like they were being led to the gallows after getting their name called out.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like he lives and breathes football.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    There were a few top 10 picks that looked like they were being led to the gallows after getting their name called out.
    Absolutely.

Q)"How does it feel going to Freo?"
    A) "I'm just excited to have my name called out"
    Real A) "A part of me just died inside"

Whereas Cody was just short of acting like he was in 'The Price is Right' audience and his name called out and sprinted to the microphone and podium, high fiving everyone.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Absolutely.

Q)"How does it feel going to Freo?"
    A) "I'm just excited to have my name called out"
    Real A) "A part of me just died inside"

Whereas Cody was just short of acting like he was in 'The Price is Right' audience and his name called out and sprinted to the microphone and podium, high fiving everyone.

Yep, there was some real "How long is two years gonna take?" moments last night.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep, there was some real "How long is two years gonna take?" moments last night.
    It's likely that attitude will change once their inside the club and become buddies with their teammates, but I really hope we're keeping in touch with McAsey over the next 2 years. It's not like Adelaide have a great track record of keeping promising KPDs and we're not exactly on the best terms with them.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Sounds like he lives and breathes football.
    In one interview he mentioned he'd watch all 9 games on the weekend up until this year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Draft reward for willing Weightman

In the front yard of Cody Weightman's family property there is a mini basketball court with a ring up against the shed.

Growing up, Weightman would stand at his house in Pakenham, in Victoria's south-east, kicking a stack of footballs until he got them through the ring 40 metres away.

After perfecting that, he then moved out the back, where his father Rob had set up a net and a bullseye target in the middle of it.

Again, Weightman stood out there for hours after school until he regularly hit the hole.

"He practiced and practiced and practiced until he was banging them in," Rob recalled. "If he wants to do something, he'll practice until he gets it right."

What Weightman wants is to be drafted. And as this year has progressed, it's looked more and more likely, with the Dandenong Stingrays goalkicker winning All Australian honours after a standout NAB AFL Under-18 Championships for Vic Country.

"The draft is certainly at the top of my bucket list," Weightman told AFL.com.au.

He's known that for a long time. When he was 12, he enlisted the help of long-time running coach Bohdan Babijczuk with a focus on injury prevention but also to build his speed and technique.

There he met Jack Higgins, who was two years older but on his trajectory to the AFL. The pair became close friends, and Weightman still talks weekly to the young Richmond midfielder.

Weightman did everything Higgins did, including starting work with personal trainer Val Stoimenov last pre-season.

Stoimenov is based in Gisborne – a four-hour round trip from Weightman's house – but he went out there for two sessions a week over last summer, at first overcoming minor knee surgery and then finding ways to become a more explosive player.

Seeing Higgins' impact at AFL level – particularly given they are about the same stature (Weightman stands 177cm and 73kg) – has given the 18-year-old plenty of confidence.

"His training standards are elite. It's something I try to copy and put into my game," he said.

"He's had people critique him in a lot of ways and he hasn't taken a bar of any of it. He's just forged his own path. We all have people who might doubt us but the way he's gone about it and used it as motivation is something I do as well now."

It would be hard to find a draft prospect more prepared this year than Weightman. As well as his running and strength mentors, he does pilates and meditation to help switch off, and can be regularly found in ice baths and compression pants refreshing his body.

"He's at AFL standard already for his professionalism," said Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd, who is a coach at Haileybury College, where Weightman was the captain of the football side this season.

Weightman has reaped the benefits this year. When deep in attack he doesn't miss a chance, swooping on loose balls, creating opportunities and rarely wasting them.

He kicked two bags of four goals for Vic Country, and is an energetic, at times in-your-face player. Weightman idolised Collingwood's Jamie Elliott growing up, and now enjoys watching Sydney star Tom Papley in attack.

"He's got a lot to his game now," Lloyd said of Weightman. "He can sit on heads, he can crumb, he uses both sides of his body and we've also seen now he can go into the midfield."

Flying for marks has always been Weightman's way. A background in wakeboarding, surfing and skiing might explain his fearlessness, but it's come naturally.

"I wasn't super small throughout my juniors so that helped. I've been able to jump and try to use other people to get up there," he said.

"I try to have my moments where I can hopefully change the balance of a game and have a really big impact in a short space of time."

His rise has led to one regular question this year: is he related to Richmond great Dale 'The Flea' Weightman?

"I'm not, I don't think so. We haven't really tested the theory, but I don't think there's anything in it," he said.

"I said to one club 'I'm not, but I claim it sometimes, it depends who I'm talking to'. It's pretty much the first question I get asked. We're pretty matchable I guess."

Weightman doesn't have much spare time in between finishing school, training, playing, recovering and doing it all again, but a little of it is spent selling cows.

You read that right. As a kid, Weightman's dad offered him and his three siblings the opportunity to make some money. If they invested $400, he'd help them sell cows to market and they'd double their money.

Cody was the only one who took up the offer, although as the youngest he didn't have any cash himself so worked off his debt with jobs around the house.

The Angus cattle are sold to a company after being raised on Weightman's expansive land, with Weightman pocketing the money every year.

"I don't really do much for it. I just give dad the money, they come along and then I get my pay back," he said.

"I try not to get too attached to them, it's a bit brutal for my liking. It's a benefit of living somewhere with a bit of land. It would've paid for my car."

The car has come in handy this year for the hour-long trips to school every day and the multitude of extras he does on top of that.

Although he's not leaving things to luck, he still hopes it's on his side.

"I'm a bit superstitious," he said. "Ever since I was super young when I've had a packet of chips and got the wish chips (the ones that are folded over each other), I've always wished to be a footballer. I can't remember how long I've been doing that. It's the one thing I've aspired to."

Post Thanks / Like

He's the prototypical late improver in his final U18 year that we love selecting.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Likes Dry Rot, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just watching the interviews/bts stuff with him, he comes across as very bubbly and outgoing and seems to have a naturally positive vibe about him.