Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  30
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: The half time break

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    The new black: something which is suddenly extremely popular or fashionable.
    Thanks Boomer.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

2. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The half time break

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Thanks Boomer.
    I’m Gen Y looked it up online
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The reduced break is being considered apparently because the players want it. They would rather stay on the ground and feel the longer break contributes to injuries
    Really? I was pretty sure the original articles suggested it was being considered to improve the television product. If the narrative is being changed to suggest it's player lead, then that's some really dynamic work from all involved who realised fans not being considered was a terrible message compared to player welfare.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    This a solution to a problem I wasn't aware we had. Never have I heard anyone previously complain that the game or half time is too long.

Is impatience a growing trend in society? I can understand T20 cricket with 50 over cricket having a tenancy to drag on, but now we have 100 ball cricket and T10 cricket because apparently T20 is too long. Then there's 8/7/6 minute abs.

Chill out and relax, footy is an escape for most of us, what's the hurry?
    While I tend to agree, it's very interesting to me that it's clearly an issue for some on here. If you accept that the trend is your friend then there is a real chance this will gain momentum over time and I'd like to gain an understanding of what the challenges are for people. Will we eventually see 15 minute quarters and just a 10 minute break at half time?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Really? I was pretty sure the original articles suggested it was being considered to improve the television product. If the narrative is being changed to suggest it's player lead, then that's some really dynamic work from all involved who realised fans not being considered was a terrible message compared to player welfare.
    I'm sure Dangerfield was asked about it and thought it would help players and clubs manage/prevent injuries

I'll have another look
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

When i first heard this i had to look up and check the calendar..nope it's November not April.
    Agree with many of the reasons previously mentioned to keep the status quo. But even if you don't leave your spot at half time, can you imagine how annoying it's going to be for the first 10 minutes of the third qtr as people are trying to get past you back to their spot?
    So they make this change and I can't wait for their suggestions to help us mere little supporters to adjust:

'In order to alleviate toilet queue's, the AFL would encourage you to share a urinal with a fellow supporter;
    'All smokers can go to a special room to fill their lungs with s*** while watching 'Quit' and 'Life be in it' ads;

Me? I just want the full 20 minutes so i can continue my quest to find that f***wit who bangs on over the P.A.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While I tend to agree, it's very interesting to me that it's clearly an issue for some on here. If you accept that the trend is your friend then there is a real chance this will gain momentum over time and I'd like to gain an understanding of what the challenges are for people. Will we eventually see 15 minute quarters and just a 10 minute break at half time?
    GVG I recently saw an ad for a house with 4 bedrooms & 6 bathrooms. How about a match where we have 5 minute quarters and 7 minute breaks?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure Dangerfield was asked about it and thought it would help players and clubs manage/prevent injuries

I'll have another look
    Here you are:

Kennett attacks AFL proposal to slash half-time break in half

The Age has confirmed the AFL has raised the prospect of cutting the half-time break from 20 minutes to 10 minutes in 2020, as a means of shortening the game, at a meeting with club chief executives before the first round of the AFL draft on Wednesday.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm not agreeing with Kennett on principle.

12. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah, I'm not agreeing with Kennett on principle.
    It's the AFL once more tinkering with the game just because they want to leave a legacy. Personally, I think Hocking should be sacked with all the stupid ideas he has come up with.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I am against. You can take my actual game time from my cold dead hands

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be interested to see how much time-on on average in a quarter is expended after goals.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the clock once continue running after a goal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    I’m Gen Y looked it up online
    Listen Sharon. Are you listening to me Sharon? It was more the mansplaining than anything else.

I know when boomers finished-I'm in the last year before it went to the next thing-baby boomers were the generation from 1945-1964 and I was born in March 1964.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Here you are:

Kennett attacks AFL proposal to slash half-time break in half

The Age has confirmed the AFL has raised the prospect of cutting the half-time break from 20 minutes to 10 minutes in 2020, as a means of shortening the game, at a meeting with club chief executives before the first round of the AFL draft on Wednesday.
    Er wait what??? Arghh.. now i have to take the opposite viewpoint. Ten minute break please.

19. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Er wait what??? Arghh.. now i have to take the opposite viewpoint. Ten minute break please.
    Perzactly.

It's a matter of pride.

21. Likes strebla liked this post