Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  30
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The half time break

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Here you are:

Kennett attacks AFL proposal to slash half-time break in half

The Age has confirmed the AFL has raised the prospect of cutting the half-time break from 20 minutes to 10 minutes in 2020, as a means of shortening the game, at a meeting with club chief executives before the first round of the AFL draft on Wednesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Er wait what??? Arghh.. now i have to take the opposite viewpoint. Ten minute break please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Perzactly.

It's a matter of pride.
    I'm proud to have always been on the right side of history

2. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Hun has mentioned that the break will likely be shortened to 15 minutes which will hopefully helps the players and those fans who find the half time break too long

Decent compromise I would have thought
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If we can get 5 min less of the deafening experience ,
    Sorry fan experience, I’ll be happy ! It’s getting to the stage where the time off outways the actual playing time! 20 min plus about 12 plus time on is way overs

Post Thanks / Like

It will be a push from television. Tv execs want the product shorten because its too long for their time slots.
    I love being able to watch on TV because I can't go watch live but since the game first got broadcast in full the rules have kept changing.
    They pay the big bucks and AFL house is in their pockets. Twilight Grand Finals will be in very soon because TV wants it.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    It will be a push from television. Tv execs want the product shorten because its too long for their time slots.
    I love being able to watch on TV because I can't go watch live but since the game first got broadcast in full the rules have kept changing.
    They pay the big bucks and AFL house is in their pockets. Twilight Grand Finals will be in very soon because TV wants it.
    Yep, the person in the crowd is less of a consideration than ever, and as Remi states the "fan experience" is getting super tiresome. After 2017 I decided I was going to try watching in the comfort of my own home and in honesty it was just as good if not better than going. I still bought a membership that enabled me to attend any game I want, and I went when I felt like it. In honesty, I don't regret having now two years off seeing the game live, given that I've spent the year this year in Vietnam. However, I plan to secure a decent seat for the coming season and attend more games as I have missed it.

I actually always thought the half time break was about fifteen minutes anyway, and usually spent it catching up with folks for a beer and a good laugh which meant most of the time I went back to watching the game into the third quarter anyway. So no real difference for me I suppose, other than missing ten minutes of the third instead of five.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel empathy to the fans not in standing area like I am at Marvel
    It’s even worse by all accounts .
    I know it’s got to the stage at Melb victory games where I rock up late to avoid the “fan experience” deafening decibel level

Post Thanks / Like

Personally watching live is so far and away a better option than watching on TV it's not even comparable. Obviously other factors in life can affect ability and desire to attend, but all things being equal I would much rather be there than yelling at a TV.

The fan or match day experience doesn't really bother me at all. Maybe it's because I have small children so I am used to blocking out annoying, unrelenting, high volume noise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Personally watching live is so far and away a better option than watching on TV it's not even comparable. Obviously other factors in life can affect ability and desire to attend, but all things being equal I would much rather be there than yelling at a TV.

The fan or match day experience doesn't really bother me at all. Maybe it's because I have small children so I am used to blocking out annoying, unrelenting, high volume noise.
    I prefer live as well, but hate the so called fan experience. Its hard to talk over the relenting noise from the speakers topped off with lights flashing around the fence.

15 minutes is a good compromise, as I thought it was only 15 anyhow
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Clubs anticipate the AFL will trial a shorter half-time break during the Marsh Community Series before introducing it in 2020.

Geelong football manager Simon Lloyd said the Cats had no issue with the potential shortening to 15 minutes after the AFL originally floated the idea of reducing half-time from 20 to 10 minutes.

He said from a pure footballing perspective, the shorter break was fine because, under existing arrangements, players had to warm-up again before they ran out for the third quarter. However, he respected the concerns raised by those attending games.

"If they do trim it that would help viewers at home but I suppose you would still need to work out what does it mean for food and beverage, what does it mean for people going to the toilet, what does it mean for the people at the stadium?" Lloyd said.

"At the moment they are talking about trialling it in the Marsh Series."

From the Age
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Is Simon Lloyd Matthew's brother?

Did he play with Willy for a while?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

It was Brad Lloyd that played with Williamstown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Thanks mate. Are Scooter and Brad twins?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Thanks mate. Are Scooter and Brad twins?
    No idea to be honest, the best I could establish from wikipedia is that they are both older than Llordo.

Its an impressive football family, all things considered, given the older two both run football departments and Matthew's career achievements.

Dad John also coached Braybrook to three premierships in the 70s.

Post Thanks / Like

No idea to be honest, the best I could establish from wikipedia is that they are both older than Llordo.

Its an impressive football family, all things considered, given the older two both run football departments and Matthew's career achievements.

Dad John also coached Braybrook to three premierships in the 70s.
    Didn't know about the dad coaching the brookers. He may well have coached the younger versions of Doug Hawkins, Brian Wilson and Robbie Groenewagon. It's a shame that his kids didn't residentially qualify for us then. Matty would have come in handy at those times we desperately needed a tall forward. It would have stopped Steve Kretiuk punching his hand that time too.

16. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Simon Lloyd is a Willy premiership captain. ‘90 or ‘91.
    He is Brad and Matthew’s older brother. And yes, I believe Brad also played for Willy.