Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
I think the quarters and playing time is too long. Maybe keep time on and reduce the quarters by a couple of minutes?
With the score review and even further proposed changes to it will add more dead time to the game.

We need the game to remain relevant to the younger generation and by potentially increasing the game’s length isn’t the way to do it.
I'm not sure we are 'there yet' with the need of keeping the game relevant to younger people. The club memberships are stronger each year and viewer numbers on TV are also strong so from a popularity perspective I don't think many younger people find the length of a game a particular issue for them. I'd be interested to know why you feel the quarters are too long?
The younger people and many older ones surf their phones for stats, supercoach scores, face book, Twitter and whatever other option there is to chat away with their friends and keep in touch etc and that won't change in the short term.
Are there any stats that say the younger demographic thinks they game should be shortened and if so is it impacting their attendance?

From my persepctive I don't necessarily want to see quarters extended but I wouldn't be happy to see game time reduced not even by 2 minutes a quarter. Time on in my view is an important part of the game and ensures things like an injury to a player doesn't shorten the length of a quarter and potentially the result of a game.

I'm 50/50 on if the half time break should be 10 or 12 minutes instead of the current 20 but I think it will impact the game for many fans that the AFL might not have considered if they make the change.
Of course if there are some legitimate reasons for the players then we should consider it.