Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The half time break

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think the quarters and playing time is too long. Maybe keep time on and reduce the quarters by a couple of minutes?
    With the score review and even further proposed changes to it will add more dead time to the game.

We need the game to remain relevant to the younger generation and by potentially increasing the game’s length isn’t the way to do it.
    I'm not sure we are 'there yet' with the need of keeping the game relevant to younger people. The club memberships are stronger each year and viewer numbers on TV are also strong so from a popularity perspective I don't think many younger people find the length of a game a particular issue for them. I'd be interested to know why you feel the quarters are too long?
    The younger people and many older ones surf their phones for stats, supercoach scores, face book, Twitter and whatever other option there is to chat away with their friends and keep in touch etc and that won't change in the short term.
    Are there any stats that say the younger demographic thinks they game should be shortened and if so is it impacting their attendance?

From my persepctive I don't necessarily want to see quarters extended but I wouldn't be happy to see game time reduced not even by 2 minutes a quarter. Time on in my view is an important part of the game and ensures things like an injury to a player doesn't shorten the length of a quarter and potentially the result of a game.

I'm 50/50 on if the half time break should be 10 or 12 minutes instead of the current 20 but I think it will impact the game for many fans that the AFL might not have considered if they make the change.
    Of course if there are some legitimate reasons for the players then we should consider it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not fussed about half time being shortened, but wouldn't drop it to 10 minutes, I'd say 12-15 would be appropriate. Enough time to go to the toilet and/or grab some food/drink.

10 mins will probably mean more people stay in the bar after half time and stadiums will seem empty/lose atmosphere if it's too short.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I'm not fussed about half time being shortened, but wouldn't drop it to 10 minutes, I'd say 12-15 would be appropriate. Enough time to go to the toilet and/or grab some food/drink.

10 mins will probably mean more people stay in the bar after half time and stadiums will seem empty/lose atmosphere if it's too short.
    I think I read that the coaches and players seem to want a shorter 1/2 time break so the proposal above seems a reasonable compromise

The fans will sort themselves out I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the quarters and playing time is too long. Maybe keep time on and reduce the quarters by a couple of minutes?
    With the score review and even further proposed changes to it will add more dead time to the game.

We need the game to remain relevant to the younger generation and by potentially increasing the game’s length isn’t the way to do it.
    Just a point on very young fans, halftime is long enough to get them out and do something meaningful. Most clubs have kids zones that can be accessed that lets them have a run around before doing another hour or so in the seats.

Shortening halftime will mean you probably still do that, but will miss time in the third as a result. This may be enough to turn some with very young kids away from even bothering, because it is quite hard work as it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Just a point on very young fans, halftime is long enough to get them out and do something meaningful. Most clubs have kids zones that can be accessed that lets them have a run around before doing another hour or so in the seats.

Shortening halftime will mean you probably still do that, but will miss time in the third as a result. This may be enough to turn some with very young kids away from even bothering, because it is quite hard work as it is.
    This is all very true. I can remember taking it in turns with my dad to amuse my kids while one of us watched the game. Leaving them home isn't an option because there is inculcating to do-if you are going to leave your kids home then you are likely not to go either I reckon.

Maybe that's what the AFL wants? Us sitting at home and watching the advertising between goals.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I have, why?
    For example, I find the 15 minute quarters too short.

I think there is nothing wrong with the game as is. The tweaks should be, get rid of the time wasting we have with whether it is a goal, let the umpire make a decision. The umpires fluffing around with working out the rucks, the boundary umpire waiting to see if everyone is lined up for the throw in. Just ball it up or throw the bloody ball back in. These will save at least 3 or 4 minutes per quarter.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally as someone not interested in overpaying for beer or sub-par food I find the 20 minute break quite boring and tedious to sit through. Shortening it is more of a reason to go in person for me. Maybe I'm somewhat alone since everyone else has said fans will hate the change but this particular fan would like it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Personally as someone not interested in overpaying for beer or sub-par food I find the 20 minute break quite boring and tedious to sit through. Shortening it is more of a reason to go in person for me. Maybe I'm somewhat alone since everyone else has said fans will hate the change but this particular fan would like it
    So the length of the half time break could be a consideration for your attendance at games? There must be a bit more to this than I'm grasping

Post Thanks / Like

What do people currently do during the half time breaks?

I normally visit the toilet and then because I'm fortunate enough to have a membership room to go to I grab a glass of water and I catch up with other members to discuss the game. I also log onto WOOF

Now if I wasn't doing that I'd be listening to the radio and scanning through the footy record but I don't really find the length of the half time break a problem.
    If the break is shortened then it won't be hard to adjust for me but I suspect it will be a bit of an issue with people taking their children to the footy, those who want to go outside for a smoke or anyone wanting to line up for a coffee, beer or a bite to eat.

At the end of the day, if it's better for the players we will all find a way to adjust

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So the length of the half time break could be a consideration for your attendance at games? There must be a bit more to this than I'm grasping
    That's a leap to imply it'd be a decisive factor in whether I go or not. It enhances the appeal and experience which is important when I have the option of watching the game in my own home, at the time of my choosing, with my own food and drink, on a comfy couch, with the option to pause the game, skip replays of opposition goals and skip the half time break all together.

All I'm saying is it would help balance the ledger when home viewing has become a much more appealing option compared to a decade ago

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's a leap to imply it'd be a decisive factor in whether I go or not. It enhances the appeal and experience which is important when I have the option of watching the game in my own home, at the time of my choosing, with my own food and drink, on a comfy couch, with the option to pause the game, skip replays of opposition goals and skip the half time break all together.

All I'm saying is it would help balance the ledger when home viewing has become a much more appealing option compared to a decade ago
    The comment I highlighted/quoted was "Shortening it is more of a reason to go in person for me" Looks like I misread it
    If it is however, coming into the "will I" or "won't I" go decision then it's clearly an important one and maybe for many more fans

Post Thanks / Like

What do people currently do during the half time breaks?
    I used to go for a smoke (a couple of years ago I botted a smoke off Billy Picken up at Ballarat) but it's been a year and a half since I've had one so it's mainly picking fights with opposition supporters now.

13. Likes strebla, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I used to go for a smoke (a couple of years ago I botted a smoke off Billy Picken up at Ballarat) but it's been a year and a half since I've had one so it's mainly picking fights with opposition supporters now.
    So a reduced break would be no impact to you?

Post Thanks / Like

So a reduced break would be no impact to you?
    My preference is to lessen the beak time. If it's not going to affect player welfare then I'd rather the break was 10 or 15 minutes instead of 20.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    My preference is to lessen the beak time. If it's not going to affect player welfare then I'd rather the break was 10 or 15 minutes instead of 20.
    And whats the advantage for you as a spectator?