Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  30
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BT's Western Bulldogs List Management Guidebook - 2020 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Thanks DOTW,

Beckham & Spider-Man? Imagine living with a HECS Debt knowing that's what your debt was for... Ouch!

Your comments prompted me to put the full text document into a word counter for the first... Yep, nearly 12,000 words. I didn't think it was that many, but it is! My Masters research thesis was about 10,000-11,000 words. Now I know where the time since the Trade Period went. If only 'Western Bulldogs List Management' was a PhD topic fully covered the Federal Govt, I'd be set!

Until then, daydream about one day volunteering in any capacity at the club and maybe look at the AFLCA Professional Certificate in AFL List Management next year to raise my game for my next edition of this thread for 2021. Maybe I might now score some RPL's or have course assignments done already!

Hmmm, I'm looking for something to do next year.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Hmmm, I'm looking for something to do next year.
    Course Overview (from 2018):

https://aflsportsready.com.au/live20...ment-Flyer.pdf

2020 Expression of Interest:

https://aflsportsready.com.au/our-co...st-management/
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: BT's Western Bulldogs List Management Guidebook - 2020 Edition

I had a quick look. Well worth incurring a HECs fee for.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a quick look. Well worth incurring a HECs fee for.
    Could be quite an interesting short course. This year it seems to have been in Brisbane so that's an extra cost for travel. But $1,000 cash up front isn't too bad a sting all things considered.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Could be quite an interesting short course. This year it seems to have been in Brisbane so that's an extra cost for travel. But $1,000 cash up front isn't too bad a sting all things considered.
    And you, like me I assume, would have a Health Care Card or a Pension Card that may knock the price down to 85 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

And you, like me I assume, would have a Health Care Card or a Pension Card that may knock the price down to 85 bucks.
    Not me unfortunately. The Victorian Emergency Serivces Superannuation Scheme for its injured members is probably the best in Australia. Which means no HCC or PC, which would be nice. I can't complain though, except about the part of the injuries, heaps of surgeries and being 'retired'. After that though, I can't complain. But back to topic, it looks like an interesting course.

Post Thanks / Like

Fascinating stuff, thanks BT.

Once we reach that 'Hawks 2015' age profile, how do you think we best keep ourselves in that range?

Hawks have taken a firm view to list management and not hesitated to move on some club veterans and superstar players which has allowed them to rejuvenate their list with some trades, albeit not a huge number of early picks, even in the 10-25 range. If my memory serves this may in fact be the first year since they've taken first and second round selections.

Richmond are about to become an interesting case study, having taken 9 first and second round selections over the past 3 years while they've won 2 x premierships and also been able to trade/FA select some ready made talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Fascinating stuff, thanks BT.

Once we reach that 'Hawks 2015' age profile, how do you think we best keep ourselves in that range?

Hawks have taken a firm view to list management and not hesitated to move on some club veterans and superstar players which has allowed them to rejuvenate their list with some trades, albeit not a huge number of early picks, even in the 10-25 range. If my memory serves this may in fact be the first year since they've taken first and second round selections.

Richmond are about to become an interesting case study, having taken 9 first and second round selections over the past 3 years while they've won 2 x premierships and also been able to trade/FA select some ready made talent.
    Thanks GD. The season comparison of ours to the 'Hawks 2015' age profile is 2024, or five seasons away. Unlike the Hawthorn style (which is distasteful) our list is going to have natural significant wholesale change owing to retirements. From Chapter 10, Salary Cap:

"Bruce, Keath, Johannisen, Liberatore, Wallis, Duryea with Trengove, Lloyd & Wood already retired. Whilst this is a talented group to lose to retirement, it also presents us with an opportunity to extend the challenging window. These guys would be currently on $3,000,000 to $3,500,000 combined. As these contracts expire it then opens up more money to keep our stars signed up, and trade for good players hunting a premiership."

So the playing list should be well into our window in 2024. But as the TPP comes down a fair bit with those retirements, and after re-signing our guns, we are again cashed up to find ready made replacements through Trade & Free Agency. Sam Power, or our list manager at the time, is going to have a slow but steady line of retirements (and freed up salary cap) to 2024 and beyond. If we have won another Premiership or look like a team worth playing for, hopefully we can attract good players through Trade and Free Agency like Hawthorn did & Richmond are doing. The limit on trading First Rounders will mean we have to find a happy balance between aggressive, yet intelligent, trading, Free Agency (from absolute guns to role players) and hitting the draft which is usually a good result for us.

So unlike Hawthorn, I think our player age profile on the playing list is such that we don't need to do what they did (presumably for salary cap reasons). They went for Superstars as their list got a touch stale, but we will have our share of Superstars already in 2024, namely Bontempelli, Naughton, Ugle-Hagan, Bailey Smith (for fans of our club Macrae & Dunkley eventully) and possibly other younger players as they develop. We've drafted and developed our own Superstars. Very much like Richmond (Martin, Riewoldt, Rance etc). If we can replenish/replace our retirements with good ready made players, then I think there's every chance we can stay in that range and our window can stay open beyond 2024 with a couple of good seasons left in Macrae & Bontempelli.

10. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes all very convincing..........but that damn haircut.

Post Thanks / Like

Not me unfortunately. The Victorian Emergency Serivces Superannuation Scheme for its injured members is probably the best in Australia. Which means no HCC or PC, which would be nice. I can't complain though, except about the part of the injuries, heaps of surgeries and being 'retired'. After that though, I can't complain. But back to topic, it looks like an interesting course.
    That HCC or PC is almost worth more than the payment.

Post Thanks / Like

Champion Data have rated our list the 2nd best after Richmond's playing list

Western Bulldogs have the second-best list heading into 2020, according to a new-and-improved ratings formula from the AFL’s official number-crunchers.

Champion Data’s list ratings after the trade and draft period have the Bulldogs second behind only reigning premier Richmond for raw talent.

Collingwood (third) and Greater Western Sydney (fourth) round out the top four, with 2018 premiers West Coast fifth and 2019 preliminary finalist Brisbane a surprising 11th.

Premiers in 2016, the Bulldogs won eight of their last 11 home-and-away games this year to finish seventh before falling at the first September hurdle with an elimination final loss to the GWS.

However, Luke Beveridge’s team made two big additions during the trade period, securing key forward Josh Bruce from St Kilda and key defender Alex Keath from Adelaide to bolster either end of the ground.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Thanks Mofra, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any team that adds two best 22 players and loses nobody should be primed to improve.
    Especially when those best 22 players are elite in at least one aspect of their game (Bruce contested marking, Keath intercept marking).

I honestly believe we should be the best marking team in the competition next year. In 2016 it was handball club, in 2020 it might just be hands. Naughton is a beast, and Wood and Crozier are excellent intercept marks. Dunkley is surprisingly good overhead, Bont can do anything, Lloyd and Dickson both excellent on the lead.

Dale could be the surprise packet here too as he'll get the 5th defender and has telescopic arms.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers