Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BT's Western Bulldogs List Management Guidebook - 2020 Edition

Wow, that is a mighty effort BT.

I can't believe the club has people on the payroll whose job it is to perform this kind of analysis, and you are doing it for love and on your own time, for our benefit. As GVGjr said, thanks is not enough. You are amazing.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post

I can't believe the club has people on the payroll whose job it is to perform this kind of analysis, and you are doing it for love and on your own time, for our benefit. As GVGjr said, thanks is not enough. You are amazing.

I try not to agree with GVGjr as a matter of policy but he's right there.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ML. That's very, very kind. (Being retired, but still young) I'd happily volunteer, any amount of my time for the club, if even to analyse any given take away coffee order for the list management team , but I wouldn't know where to begin to offer volunteering my time. So WOOF is the next best place!

But I offer thanks to everyone. A couple of years ago I decided to see if I could teach myself different aspects of list management by using woofers feedback. Posing many, many hypotheticals, digesting the AFL Rules, analysing our players and previous drafts, draft point trading etc, were put out by me and woofers gave me their honest and straight forward opinions which has help me to sharpen my critical list management thinking. The least I can do is pay it back with this guidebook, with the hope it's worth reading by the end!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an EPIC post.

I have to admit, I really don't know exactly what to make of a lot of it (not because the info is wrong or I disagree) because there is just so much information...

Your effort and enthusiasm for this task is pretty remarkable mate.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

7. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Thanks ML. That's very, very kind. (Being retired, but still young) I'd happily volunteer, any amount of my time for the club, if even to analyse any given take away coffee order for the list management team , but I wouldn't know where to begin to offer volunteering my time. So WOOF is the next best place!

But I offer thanks to everyone. A couple of years ago I decided to see if I could teach myself different aspects of list management by using woofers feedback. Posing many, many hypotheticals, digesting the AFL Rules, analysing our players and previous drafts, draft point trading etc, were put out by me and woofers gave me their honest and straight forward opinions which has help me to sharpen my critical list management thinking. The least I can do is pay it back with this guidebook, with the hope it's worth reading by the end!
    You should send this to someone within the club, mate.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

When I retire I was thinking of knitting and jigsaws!

Post Thanks / Like

When I retire I was thinking of knitting and jigsaws!
    Ha! Retirement wasn't my idea, I'm still a few years from hitting 40yo and have been 'retired' for some time. It's interesting at customs or on other official forms when I put down 'retired' as my status. I'm over doing Masters Degrees. So I've found this a really interesting mental exercise to replace academia and law. My thoughts of knitting a list together and putting all the pieces together, like a jigsaw...
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 29-11-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What can I say other than WOW !!!

I have always loved your posts that analyse draft points and give scenarios on what we could do and how we can trade to get who we want etc. In fact, I try and spruik your teaching (often as my own ) and fail dismally.

As MJP said, this is EPIC. As I often do, I started reading the WOOF posts when I went to be last night at midnight ... my mistake was opening your thread; I couldn't put my phone down. When I finally turned my phone off at 2am I was amazed, informed and slightly daunted

Thank you just doesn't cut it !!
    WOOF Member 422

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an unbelievably thorough piece of work BT.
    Thank you. I'll no doubt refer to this several times over the coming months; as no doubt, will many here.

15. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BT, I'll be honest, I have only skimmed it and was completely overawed by the sheer volume.

However, I look forward to reading it over the summer break and properly digesting it.

And chiming in with GVG, thanks just doesn't cut it. But thank you is all I've got.

Surely you could tap someone on the shoulder at VU and at the very least get an honorary Doctorate for your troubles. Your analysis would be far more useful and sensible than a David Beckham subject at the University of Staffordshire (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/694451.stm), or research into whether or not Spiderman could actually stick to walls (spoiler, no he can't https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/...cking-to-walls).
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

17. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    BT, I'll be honest, I have only skimmed it and was completely overawed by the sheer volume.

However, I look forward to reading it over the summer break and properly digesting it.

And chiming in with GVG, thanks just doesn't cut it. But thank you is all I've got.

Surely you could tap someone on the shoulder at VU and at the very least get an honorary Doctorate for your troubles. Your analysis would be far more useful and sensible than a David Beckham subject at the University of Staffordshire (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/694451.stm), or research into whether or not Spiderman could actually stick to walls (spoiler, no he can't https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/...cking-to-walls).
    Thanks DOTW,

Beckham & Spider-Man? Imagine living with a HECS Debt knowing that's what your debt was for... Ouch!

Your comments prompted me to put the full text document into a word counter for the first... Yep, nearly 12,000 words. I didn't think it was that many, but it is! My Masters research thesis was about 10,000-11,000 words. Now I know where the time since the Trade Period went. If only 'Western Bulldogs List Management' was a PhD topic fully covered the Federal Govt, I'd be set!

Until then, daydream about one day volunteering in any capacity at the club and maybe look at the AFLCA Professional Certificate in AFL List Management next year to raise my game for my next edition of this thread for 2021. Maybe I might now score some RPL's or have course assignments done already!

Post Thanks / Like

A remarkable and informative analysis imbued with a massive amount of thought and knowledge. It should be permanently carried around by the list manager. Congratulations.

20. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a great read and I look forward to watching games this year at both AFL and VFL level and seeing the games thru the prism of player and/or football club options you have presented here. Thank you.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

22. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    This is a great read and I look forward to watching games this year at both AFL and VFL level and seeing the games thru the prism of player and/or football club options you have presented here. Thank you.
    You're most welcome Smads, I hope it helps. But also thank you for bringing VFL games to us in real times and the work of giving us player reviews to help us with debate around players who are in form deserving promotion and how kids are developing. I know we all appreciate it, myself included.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 30-11-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Omg!!! I too have only skimmed this for now, but will definitely read when I get a good chance to take it all in. You SHOULD be working at the bulldogs BT. This is a phenomenal effort and a masterpiece in analysis writing from what I’ve looked at so far. As good as a lot of posters are on here with good, detailed discussion, you BT take it to another level, and I think most would agree with that.

Absolutely brilliant !!!!!!!
    I will never see #16 the same!!

25. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes The Doctor liked this post