Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Why dogs sniffed out late trade for Garcia

Western Bulldogs wanted to snap up Riley Garcia and made sure that happened after late pick trade with Hawthorn

Riley Garcia will miss most of the 2020 season with an ACL injury but that didn’t stop the Western Bulldogs from initiating a late trade of picks to swoop on the midfielder in last week’s draft.

Western Bulldogs executed a live trade late in the draft to ensure they did not miss out on an inside midfielder who is recovering from a knee reconstruction.

The Dogs were due to visit Riley Garcia’s home in Perth on Monday with the club’s three draftees set to officially start at Whitten Oval on Wednesday.

List boss Sam Power said the Dogs had “no hesitation” in sacrificing their fourth-round pick in next year’s draft to secure pick No.62 from Hawthorn, which was used on Garcia.

The Dogs feared that another club would pounce on Garcia before Friday’s rookie draft.

Essendon, St Kilda and Greater Western Sydney each drafted a player after Garcia was taken in the final three picks of the national draft.

Garcia, 18, ruptured his ACL at the end of the under-18 national championships, although impressed in three senior WAFL games for Swan Districts early in the season.

The 177cm stoppage player – who boasts a mix of endurance and speed and is clean below his knees – will miss most of next season with that knee injury.

The Dogs grabbed Brighton Grammar football captain Louis Butler at No.53, who is an elite runner.

Butler is expected to settle on a wing.

Pick 15 Cody Weightman will bring a spark of energy to the attack and is a decent chance to make his AFL debut in Round 1.

“He brings a different mix to our forward line,” Power said.

“He’s got some real forward craft and goalsense. He can go both sides of the body, he’s good in the air for a small player but also good at ground level as well.”

Weightman – who once kicked 10.4 in an under-14s match and boasts brilliant skills on both feet – has tattoos on the outside of each hand which remind him of his parents.

“Love the pain” is the quote from his dad while “Consequences for actions” is from his mum.

He also has a Ninja Turtle tattoo and ink celebrating Haileybury College’s premiership three-peat on his ankles.

The small forward – who is a brilliant overhead mark in the Jamie Elliott (Collingwood) mould – jetted to Bali last month for a holiday filled with meditation sessions.

“I found a lot of gains. I was pretty worn out after the season and getting away to Bali I looked after my mind instead of my body, which was a different approach to recovery,” Weightman said.

“I came back from Bali feeling so fresh and ready to go. It’s amazing, wherever your mind goes your body sort of follows. That’s something I’m looking to doing more of.”

Weightman uses a meditation app downloaded on his phone.

“I can literally do it anywhere and you tap into the environment,” he said.

“A lot of the time I was doing it on the balcony where I was staying or by the pool or by the beach, listening to the waves. You change it up and keep it fresh.”

2. Thanks bulldogtragic, Mofra, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why dogs sniffed out late trade for Garcia

Meditation?

*!*!*!*!ing hippy.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite