Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Champion Data rates us second best in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Interesting that they have North ranked 6th and Brisbane ranked 11th. Surely North are extremely over rated whereas Brisbane are under rated (based on last season).
    That tells me what I have always suspected, take Champion Data stats with a grain of salt. I would rank North below Carlton and Brisbane top 8
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

CD ratings are whatever but this is the most talented group I’ve ever seen at our club.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Suckers elite!

Interesting list of players.

Majak Daw elite? Paddy Ryder? Mitch Robinson probably isn’t the best wingman in Brisbane....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    CD ratings are whatever but this is the most talented group I’ve ever seen at our club.
    I agree. Maybe 1985 came close-we had strength and talent on every line and Royal and Purser at their best.

But this is as talented a group as I've seen and most of them are already premiership players.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That tells me what I have always suspected, take Champion Data stats with a grain of salt. I would rank North below Carlton and Brisbane top 8
    Brisbane have had one good year. Lets see how expectation and fixturing sort them out this year.

A bit like Melbourne last season, I wouldn't be falling over myself to believe the hype about Brisbane for next year.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bris Vegas will go well again
    I take these lists with the proverbial grain of salt
    The same joint that had Melbourne with the best list in 19 and said we had zero chance of winning in 16 !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Most talented MIDFIELD maybe...though English still has a long way to go.

Down back, Crozier and JJ are the only truly 'proven' commodities (you can't include Wood after the past 2-seasons and we haven't even SEEN Keath yet)...as for the forward line, well, Naughton and Dale are both kids with potential, Lloyd has shown he can kick a goal, we haven't seen Bruce yet and we really don't know much about the rest of the side's makeup.

Talent is a funny word...to me, I guess we have potential but cannot be said to have talent until we see it on the park from week to week. Our back end of last year was positive but the finals performance completely pathetic and before we start talking about flags and finals, well, there is a fair bit of proving that needs to be done.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Thanks hujsh, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes strebla, Dry Rot, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Down back, Crozier and JJ are the only truly 'proven' commodities (you can't include Wood after the past 2-seasons and we haven't even SEEN Keath yet)...as for the forward line, well, Naughton and Dale are both kids with potential, Lloyd has shown he can kick a goal, we haven't seen Bruce yet and we really don't know much about the rest of the side's makeup.

Talent is a funny word...to me, I guess we have potential but cannot be said to have talent until we see it on the park from week to week. Our back end of last year was positive but the finals performance completely pathetic and before we start talking about flags and finals, well, there is a fair bit of proving that needs to be done.
    The only question mark on our midfield is our strength and options in the ruck. We could have also done with a bit more pure midfield depth but I think the club is counting on Liberatore and Wallis adding that extra depth.

While Crozier and JJ are the standouts we actually have a significant level of depth in our back line but perhaps the quality isn't quite there yet. I think Duryea has shown enough, Daniel until his injury has performed well there plus Suckling has proven he can be a damaging defender. Keath should help us considerably but I wonder who will play on the games bigger and better forwards? Like Lewis Young and Wood, Keath seems to be a better as an intercept defender rather than being pitted one-on-one against the opposition big forwards. Trengove and Cordy are better in that area but how we structure the back line I suspect is going to be the most challenging for the coach and MC

The forward line is a work in progress. Naughton could be anything, Schache needs to improve and Bruce should be a solid addition
    Linked around them are Dale, the forgotten man in Gowers, Dickson, Lloyd who was excellent, West who should be in for a better 2020 and hopefully we will see something from Greene and Weightman

It will also be interesting to see what lies ahead for the likes of Williams, Hayes, Lachie Young and R.Smith

I remain very optimistic for 2020
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

we haven't seen Bruce yet .
    Maybe not with us, but we know he has talent in marking and kicking goals.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Midfield is the key component for any successful side, IMO. Ours is basically set for the next 5 years.

Our biggest issue is the defensive group. Adding Keath should definitely help, but we need to be much more miserly. If we can structure up in such a way that protects our back 6, we should continue to rise.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Midfield is the key component for any successful side, IMO. Ours is basically set for the next 5 years.

Our biggest issue is the defensive group. Adding Keath should definitely help, but we need to be much more miserly. If we can structure up in such a way that protects our back 6, we should continue to rise.
    It took awhile for our back six to play as a defensive team, mainly because of new faces and not a settled 6. In the second half of 2019, they seemed to gell together better and we were harder to score against. Keath will have to fit in with our game plan, but no doubt will make a huge difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I mean, we haven't seen them for us but we have *seen* them, and I'm pretty confident Keath in particular will make us a much better side even if all he offers is an upgrade in Cordy's position. Bruce I'm less excited by but if nothing else the stats suggest he'll be impactful.

You're doing well to keep a lid on Naughton too.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -