Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  24
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Supporter Groups

From the Kennel Kapers newsletter I got via email today.

East West Club Events 2020

Monday 6 April - East Meets West Children’s Football Clinic at Wesley College.
    Arrival time 5.00pm with clinic running from 5.30pm-6.30pm.
    Approximate finish time 7pm
    Event will include a sausage sizzle by the Committee.

Tuesday 4 August - Legends and Young Dinner at Mulgrave Country Club.
    Further details for these events will be forwarded to our members as soon as they become available
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I remember how good the East-West were, back when my Grandfather was a member, and no doubt in these days of internet comms the task would be easier...

But seriously TD, where would one start ? I imagine that it would need the club's blessing, unless it was an entirely casual group. An article in the local paper, with an ad, would probably be enough to get the ball rolling; and maybe a local venue to watch the games for those who don't want to do late night travel on VR... and often stuff around with replacement busses.

It does bear some thinking about, perhaps someone from the East West group might have some thoughts.
    From the Kennel Kapers newsletter I got via email today:

“You will note that our East Meets West event format has changed since 2016. Some changes did receive some negative feedback on social media particularly at not getting the whole team to attend as in the past.
    I would like to address those “observations.”

Over the last four years players returned from their break in December and January and almost immediately went into pre-season training camps. For example, Cape Schanck in December last year and then Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast in January.
    Such changes have meant that training occurs during the same period of December and January that we used to schedule for East Meets West. You can also now add to this the club and AFLPA guidelines on player appearances.

I love the history and what previous East-West committees and the football club have been able to achieve since 1983.
    I remember the days at Norton Park where the players were presented on the back of a flat bed truck, and Jells Park where on one such outing the committee had to remove broken glass surrounding the training area. I also remember the great EMW days at Wesley College, Waverley Campus, in particular 2017 when an estimated 1,500 supporters arrived to have their photos taken with the Premiership Cups.

We presented the old format EMW with football club support up to the cancellation in 2016. I am sure our critics understand that these changes indicate a higher level of professionalism and are necessary for our football club to aim towards what all true supporters want—our football team holding the premiership cup aloft in September”.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 10-03-2020 at 08:02 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post

“You will note that our East Meets West event format has changed since 2016. Some changes did receive some negative feedback on social media particularly at not getting the whole team to attend as in the past.

Over the last four years players returned from their break in December and January and almost immediately went into pre-season training camps. For example, Cape Schanck in December last year and then Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast in January.
    Such changes have meant that training occurs during the same period of December and January that we used to schedule for East Meets West. You can also now add to this the club and AFLPA guidelines on player appearances.

I love the history and what previous East-West committees and the football club have been able to achieve since 1983.
    I remember the days at Norton Park where the players were presented on the back of a flat bed truck, and Jells Park where on one such outing the committee had to remove broken glass sur- rounding the training area. I also remember the great EMW days at Wesley College, Waverley Campus, in particular 2017 when an estimated 1,500 supporters arrived to have their photos taken with the Premiership Cups.

We presented the old format EMW with football club support up to the cancellation in 2016. I am sure our critics understand that these changes indicate a higher level of professionalism and are necessary for our football club to aim towards what all true supporters want—our football team holding the premiership cup aloft in September”.
    Must be having a look at WOOF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Start with a venue where you can watch the interstate games Put some posters or some ads up.

I wouldn't bother telling the club until you have some solid figures to show them.
    Thank-you Twodogs, venue selection will be important, bearing in mind the distances between town centres. Also we would need Fox to be able to ensure the game would be covered live. Plus a large screen so we can all get a view. Not sure that anything other than a licensed venue would have the facilities, but then that might turn off family people.

Time to give it some serious thought.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the days at Norton Park where the players were presented on the back of a flat bed truck, and Jells Park where on one such outing the committee had to remove broken glass surrounding the training area. I also remember the great EMW days at Wesley College, Waverley Campus, in particular 2017 when an estimated 1,500 supporters arrived to have their photos taken with the Premiership Cups.

I will just say that the footy club needs to be careful what they wish for. Do they want supporters or do they not want supporters?? Because I'm reading that as saying supporters just get in the way of the efficient running of a football club (like Basil Fawlty saying that his hotel would run a lot better if they didn't have to put up with guests poking around looking for things to go wrong) and that's just an insane thing to say from my point of view. Fans will only take a certain amount of being dicked about before they will start to follow another sport (they won't change clubs but they will change sports.) and we don't have enough fans to be pissing them up against the wall.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I will just say that the footy club needs to be careful what they wish for. Do they want supporters or do they not want supporters?? Because I'm reading that as saying supporters just get in the way of the efficient running of a football club (like Basil Fawlty saying that his hotel would run a lot better if they didn't have to put up with guests poking around looking for things to go wrong) and that's just an insane thing to say from my point of view. Fans will only take a certain amount of being dicked about before they will start to follow another sport (they won't change clubs but they will change sports.) and we don't have enough fans to be pissing them up against the wall.
    It's a balancing act between what's best for the players and the wants and needs of supporters.

The entire Collingwood list has been in my area over the past few days and have done an amazing job in community engagement.

After playing in Morwell on Sunday they made several concurrent appearances at local footy clubs around Warragul on Monday morning before a free family day in Warragul on Monday afternoon and a paid function on Monday night. They followed up yesterday appearing at local schools in the area and other visits such as the hospital before another function at Pakenham Racecourse. They were driven around by local Collingwood members and I know of at least one special visit 3 well known players made to someones home.

All this in the current Coronavirus climate, I have to begrudgingly commend them.

Post Thanks / Like

Got this morning from the East West Club:

To our Members,

The thoughts of our committee are with you all in these most difficult times. Please follow the guidelines and advice provided by government and medical authorities and look after your loved ones, the elderly, and yourselves to curb the spread of the Corona Virus.

AFL football has rightly been put on hold and like every AFL team, our Western Bulldogs have implemented staff stand downs and other necessary measures in these very unusual and unexpected circumstances. Our thoughts are with them and others who have lost their jobs and livelihoods.

Our Supporter Group is also on hold until the season recommences. We shall not produce Kennel Kapers this month and our Children’s Clinic scheduled for April 6 at Wesley cannot go ahead. Our tipping competition is on hold pending the re-start of the 2020 fixture. In the event the season is cancelled we shall refund your tipping entry payments.

Please look forward and remain positive that this current situation will improve to a point where we can get to back to our normal day to day lives and activities. This would include supporting our Bulldogs team in 2020.

Regards to All,
    Tony Crehan
    President, East-West Supporter Group
    (Supporting The Bulldogs since 1983)
    Last edited by Eastdog; 02-04-2020 at 12:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Update from the East West Club via email:

To our members,

I hope you are all well and managing to cope with life in these difficult times.

As advised in our previous email, the East-West Supporter Group has been placed on hold pending an announcement from the AFL on a likely resumption of matches. It now appears that the AFL will be providing information in May regarding the revised season, (fixture, format, hubs, venues etc), so at this stage the Committee intends to resume production of Kennel Kapers with a June edition.

All AFL clubs, including the Western Bulldogs will be facing many new challenges in the seasons ahead but due to a history of good governance our position appears a little better than some. The club however will still need extra support and you can be assured that your Committee will be looking at ways in which our group can best support our beloved Bulldogs.

Hopefully, things are on the improve, so please look forward and remain positive.

Kind regards to all,

Tony Crehan
    President, East-West Supporter Group

9. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad news
    From the August 2020 edition of Kennel Kapers I received via email today.

Vale Keith Nilsson

The East-West Group has lost one of our longest serving members with the passing of Keith Nilsson last week at the grand age of 95. His son, Russell, has sent us copies of articles from old editions of Kennel Kapers in which Keith shares some of his memories of life and as a Bulldogs supporter.

Russell assured us that Keith’s funeral at Springvale Cemetery was a “ real Bulldogs send-off”

Post Thanks / Like

From September 2020 edition of Kennel Kapers

East West Club Donation

In this very disruptive year, our supporter group has not been able to hold our East Meets West Day & Children’s Clinic, our Legends & Young Gun Dinner or Tipping Competition.

These events are fund raisers and proceeds go towards our annual contribution to the Western Bulldogs. Despite this we are pleased to advise that on behalf of our members we have made a contribution this month to the club of $2,500.

Your support has meant total contributions over the past three years have now totalled $32,500 to our great Football Club. We also donate to a number of Bulldogs connected groups.

It should be noted here that the overall financial position of the Western Bulldogs Football Club is in relatively good shape thanks to the great work of the Board and the Club’s staff, the contributions of Members, the various Coterie and Supporter Groups, Sponsors and individual donors who all continue to financially support our club.

Our club is fortunate to be in this position as the AFL next year will make cuts to compensate for this difficult Coronavirus year that will affect all clubs.

AFL clubs are now multimillion dollar businesses and the sport they provide is part of the fabric of our culture. We Bulldogs supporters know what it has been like to support a struggling club. We should be proud that by your support , memberships, donations no matter how small, have seen our club grow to where it is today.

The club is now in a position where it is not reliant on the financial support of the AFL.

The club result includes supporting our team and the great community work it does off the field. Keep the faith and keep supporting the Bulldogs, we are heading in the right direction.

12. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From September 2020 edition of Kennel Kapers

East West Club Donation

In this very disruptive year, our supporter group has not been able to hold our East Meets West Day & Children’s Clinic, our Legends & Young Gun Dinner or Tipping Competition.

These events are fund raisers and proceeds go towards our annual contribution to the Western Bulldogs. Despite this we are pleased to advise that on behalf of our members we have made a contribution this month to the club of $2,500.

Your support has meant total contributions over the past three years have now totalled $32,500 to our great Football Club. We also donate to a number of Bulldogs connected groups.

It should be noted here that the overall financial position of the Western Bulldogs Football Club is in relatively good shape thanks to the great work of the Board and the Club’s staff, the contributions of Members, the various Coterie and Supporter Groups, Sponsors and individual donors who all continue to financially support our club.

Our club is fortunate to be in this position as the AFL next year will make cuts to compensate for this difficult Coronavirus year that will affect all clubs.

AFL clubs are now multimillion dollar businesses and the sport they provide is part of the fabric of our culture. We Bulldogs supporters know what it has been like to support a struggling club. We should be proud that by your support , memberships, donations no matter how small, have seen our club grow to where it is today.

The club is now in a position where it is not reliant on the financial support of the AFL.

The club result includes supporting our team and the great community work it does off the field. Keep the faith and keep supporting the Bulldogs, we are heading in the right direction.
    They need to go into the era of Digital.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

East West Bulldogs Kennel Kapers Sep 20 edition

From the past
    By Michael Bromley

It was Round 16, Saturday, 2nd August 1969.

I was about to turn 16 years old and looking
    forward to watching the Bulldogs play Geelong at Kardinia Park that afternoon, despite the fact we hadn't beaten the Cats there in my lifetime ... since 1945 in fact.

Geelong were well above us on the ladder and their star full forward Doug Wade was having a stellar season, having already kicked 89 goals in the first fifteen rounds.

Wade wasn’t expected to break the ton against the Dogs, however our supporters were nervous having seen him kick nine against us in a ten goal drubbing we received from the Cats earlier in the season.

Saturday morning was still a part of the working week for many, and I’d arranged to meet Dad “under the clocks” at Flinders St Station after he’d knocked off work. We were catching the train to Geelong, with the game scheduled to start at 2.10pm.

Dad arrived around 11am but he’d got the departure time wrong and the train was leaving just as he turned up.
    We sprinted to the taxi rank, jumped into a cab and raced the train to Footscray station, beating it by a couple of minutes.

As the train pulled out of Footscray Station at around 11.15am, we breathed a sigh of relief and settled back to enjoy the journey.
    Our relief was short lived however for about 15 minutes later the train stopped somewhere around Laverton.

So we waited, and waited, and waited ... but the train didn't move. Of course there was no communication from the driver and we all sat there growing increasingly frustrated. A few passengers jumped off and headed for the highway, a couple of hundred yards away, intending to thumb a ride.

Finally, it must have been around 1pm, the train began to roll but we were moving at a snail’s pace, around 30km/hour. (Later on we learned that the problem had been signal failures on the line).

When the match started our train was still kilometres from Geelong, but fortunately, I had my little transistor radio with me and I was able to listen in to the game.

The Cats established an early lead but the Dogs fought back in the second quarter and by the time we arrived at Geelong station, it was half time and we were three goals behind, not an insurmountable deficit.

Disgruntled supporters hurriedly disem- barked the train and after reminding station employees to “wind up the rubber bands” for the trip home made a beeline for the ground.

We arrived at the ground hoping for a win after the journey from hell but unfortunately the floodgates opened in the third quarter with the Cats kicking nine goals and a further seven in the last to win by 77 points.

And to top off the day, Wade kicked eleven to reach his hundredth goal milestone for the year.

It was a sad and sorry group of Bulldogs travellers who reboarded a train they had left scarcely an hour earlier for the journey home.

Thankfully, the trip home was uneventful and relatively quick.

The Footscray team that day included the likes of George Bisset, Ian Bryant, Gordon Casey, Dave Darcy, John Jillard, Stuart Magee, Bernie Quinlan, Barry Round, David Thorpe and the 36-year-old Teddy Whitten. There’s some handy names in that line-up.

Incidentally, Harry Skreja (No.37, I think?), was playing in his ninth game at the tender age of 16 1⁄2 years.

Geelong’s team that day included Bill Goggin, who would later coach Footscray, Bluey Hampshire who would play and coach at the club and John “Sam” Newman.

Post Thanks / Like

East West Bulldogs Kennel Kapers Sep 20 edition

Racism in Football
    By Tony Crehan

Racism is currently a much discussed topic in Australia and overseas. I am going to write here only on racism as it
    relates to indigenous players in the AFL.

I believe generally in this modern era, the majority of our Australian society is very accepting of all our new arrivals and people of colour with only the actions of a few reflecting badly.

Hurtful racist comments will be heard from unthinking stirrers, as a result of negative socialisation and brainwashing and spur of the moment comments by upset supporters. Whatever the motivation it should not be tolerated. We must continue to call it out.

Historically, we can go back to 1993 and Nicky Winmar famously lifting his jumper to show his feeling on racial abuse.
    It is unfortunate that indigenous players of the modern era such as Adam Goodes, Eddie Betts,

Chad Wingard and Neville Jetta, just to name a few, have been subject to racial abuse.
    There is also the very moving story released in the media last week of Robert Muir and the trauma he has suffered due to racism.

I have a related story taken from some old football memorabilia that I came across when researching a bit of my family history.

My late father Bill played for Parkside in the then Footscray District League in the 1930s. Later, he played some games for the

Footscray Seconds including one final.

The photograph below is of the 1936 Parkside premiership team. My father is third from the left in the front row and beside him is an indigenous player, Jimmy Lovett.

I have included an article on Page 6 which describes how the team got around their teammate Jimmy and supported him.

16. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To our East-West members,

The following is a message from your East-West Supporter Group Committee.

Over the past two years we have worked with the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation in an attempt to bring some of their programs to our East West Supporter Group Members in the East. We have attached a link below for our female members and supporters in the East who may be interested in participating in a Daughters of the West program. Due to Covid restrictions this program is to be delivered online via Zoom. The link below has program details and a section to register for the ‘Wider Victoria’ tickets. The football club has given the foundation approval to issue a limited number of invitations to our East-West members.

The link is:
    https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/f...rs-of-the-west

Regards,
    Tony Crehan
    President
    East West Supporter Group of The Western Bulldogs.

Post Thanks / Like

2021 East West Membership Form

https://eastwestbulldogs.com/

https://eastwestbulldogs.files.wordp...rship-form.pdf

Planning on signing up once again as an EW Member for 2021. It has been a tough year for the supporter group in terms of events due to Covid-19.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 02-11-2020 at 05:25 PM.