Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Test - Australia v New Zealand - 12 Dec 2019 - Perth

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Really happy to see Labuschagne going on with it

The selectors were initially criticized for his selection but they clearly saw something in him and he has repaid that faith
    Absolutely. They nailed it with Marnus.

I didn't even have him in my Ashes squad, let alone side and certainly not at number 3. He's proving a lot of people wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Absolutely. They nailed it with Marnus.

I didn't even have him in my Ashes squad, let alone side and certainly not at number 3. He's proving a lot of people wrong.
    When he was first selected I thought it was mainly because he could bowl a bit, another attempt to find an all-rounder, so it's good that he has now established himself as a batsman and his handy bowling is a bit of a bonus.
    I think I wanted him to bat at number 5 this summer and go in with 3 openers

To think that it was because of the concussion to Smith that he got his 2nd chance is hard to believe how well he has performed since. There is an expression that a crisis can create opportunities, Labuschagne is a perfect example of that

His innings yesterday was another huge step forward for him
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

When he was first selected I thought it was mainly because he could bowl a bit, another attempt to find an all-rounder, so it's good that he has now established himself as a batsman and his handy bowling is a bit of a bonus.

To think that it was because of the concussion to Smith that he got his 2nd chance is hard to believe how well he has performed since. There is an expression that a crisis can create opportunities, Labuschagne is a perfect example of that

Absolutely, and he's a very well-rounded player - the Mike Hussey comparisons I've seen are good ones. We saw that he can do it in England, and I think he'll have no issue on the subcontinent.

4. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some players just naturally step up to any level they play at. Marcus basically gluing himself to Smith for months seems to have learned a lot too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crash Craddock was saying after the play last night how he has never seen a player improve so much and so quickly as Marnus.

He was an average shield player that twice lost his Queensland contract and somehow he is now one of the best batsmen in the world.

South Africa could probably do with Marnus and Neil Wagner about now.

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

NZ lose a couple of wickets early but Hazlewood has an injury
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

Post Thanks / Like

NZ 5 for 109 at stumps. Starc in form with 4 wickets but Australia with a key bowler down

Smith snared an excellent catch to help remove Williamson. Taylor batted well

Post Thanks / Like

Just read that Hazlewood is likely out for the rest of the series. Pattinson or Neser will be in contention for Boxing Day with Pattinson almost odds on for the return.

We have a bit of depth with our fast bowling options

Post Thanks / Like

Watched the last 30 min and gotta say that was absorbing test cricket
    Both teams lose a bowler and some injuries attributed to the new stadium , do we have an issue with the surface ?

Post Thanks / Like

NZ may have picked up a couple of wickets with short deliveries, but they are playing such negative test cricket by consistently bowling short and fielding five on the leg side.
    Pressses Love Child, any other Test nation would have numerous negative articles written about them.
    “In 2020, we will believe that we are closer than we may be, but we will prepare like we’re further away than ever.” - senior coach Luke Beveridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think Australia will bat for 30 minutes or so just to enure the bowlers don't have to deal with a full session?
    We should have enough run but perhaps another 30 minutes just helps manage the bowlers

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think Australia will bat for 30 minutes or so just to enure the bowlers don't have to deal with a full session?
    We should have enough run but perhaps another 30 minutes just helps manage the bowlers
    They may even try and bat longer as there are two days to go, however, they may not last too long. Another 38 degree day coming up.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope not. We have enough runs. Declaring now gives them a new ball to start, and another new ball with 10 overs in the night session tonight. Batting for 10 overs at the beginning, give or take, deprives us that 10 overs tonight with Starc & Cummins with a new ball. To me that's worth more than a few more runs or bowling Wade or Marnus to give Starc & Cummins a spell.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I hope not. We have enough runs. Declaring now gives them a new ball to start, and another new ball with 10 overs in the night session tonight. Batting for 10 overs at the beginning, give or take, deprives us that 10 overs tonight with Starc & Cummins with a new ball. To me that's worth more than a few more runs or bowling Wade or Marnus to give Starc & Cummins a spell.
    Good suggestion. They've batted on though and I wonder if they are more concerned about the workload for Starc and Cummins

Post Thanks / Like

Good suggestion. They've batted on though and I wonder if they are more concerned about the workload for Starc and Cummins
    Probably right. Although I think it was Ricky Ponting who pointed out the bowlers will be out there batting now, running and risking injury on an uneven pitch. So it's not much of a rest. Hopefully we declare or get out before we lose the new ball tonight.
    I drank the slab that Bon Scott drunk
    I injected some of Hendrixs junk
    I booked a seat on Lynyrd Skynyrds plane
    Mama Cass's sandwich? Ate the same