Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Weird pre-season ideas 2020

So...over recent years we've done some interesting things in the pre-season.

We've tried Wood forward - an experiment that lasted all of about 1.5 rounds of the season proper after seeming like it was a horrible idea over the course of the pre season games.

Last year we had a completely different set up in mind until we suddenly bit the bullet and moved Naughton forward with a week to prepare himself for a season as our go to key forward.

Thoughts on what incredibly reactive move we will make this pre-season? Will it work and if not, how long will it last?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weird pre-season ideas 2020

Dunkley as a dedicated forward... oh wait.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget training Bailey Williams as a midfielder and not playing here there, or playing Brad Lynch forward with as much effect as Wood. Win some, lose some. I was reading a transcript from an old Lachie Hunter interview (March 2018) on Josh Schache:

"He’s actually got really good kicking skills, which I wouldn’t have known until he got to the club. He’s a beautiful kick of the ball.”

Hunter says Schache could even push up towards a position on the wing, commending his endurance for a young tall player.

“He’s actually got a really big tank for a tall fella as well, so I suppose there’s room up there on the wing if he wants to push up there,” he said.

“Bevo (Dogs coach Luke Beveridge) likes to flip the side around so I’m sure you’ll see him in different spots.”

So Schache to the wing maybe. Then the bomb out of defence has options of English (205cm) and then another 200cm target (probably on a smaller opponent), plus he can work hard forward with his goal kicking accuracy, offer a neat kick inside 50, if Bruce is the designated second ruck - Schache can move into forward 50 to provide another tall target while Bruce is rucking, plus he can run all day and a is very difficult match up and offer flexibility to play a role different roles. Maybe Lachie is onto something.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Schache.

Centre Half Back.

You heard it here first. And Josh will hate every minute of it almost as much as we will.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

We trialled Bailey Dale of the HB line too didn't we? Lasted until about 5 minutes of Caleb Daniel being back there.
    English on a wing at VFL level.

I'll go with: Jong on a wing. Everyone else seems to get a shot at that second wing, and we two more 'maybes' to play there for the match sim drills.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like the fact that Bevo tries players in other positions. The Naughton one worked brilliantly and we just have to accept there will be a few misses along the way.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes Bulldog4life, strebla, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache on a wing is something I’ve mentioned before that makes a lot of sense, albeit before we’ve had a good look at his two-way running. I’m a big believer in his skill level though, and there’s a high chance there isn’t a spot for him in the forward line, so would like to at least see it trialled.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Bob played in the backline, Easton plays in the backline, it only makes sense the Captain Bont goes to the backline...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Bob played in the backline, Easton plays in the backline, it only makes sense the Captain Bont goes to the backline...
    The Mens' department.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I think Bailey Smith could play well on that wing too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I actually like the fact that Bevo tries players in other positions. The Naughton one worked brilliantly and we just have to accept there will be a few misses along the way.
    Certainly agree - we aren't afraid to swing players into new roles and largely we've stuck fat or changed it back as the situation dictated. The intent was more to crystal ball what we might do, when we might do it (let's face it, Naughton was a Hail Mary that worked brilliantly) and how it will go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'll go with: Jong on a wing. Everyone else seems to get a shot at that second wing, and we two more 'maybes' to play there for the match sim drills.
    He played mainly wing last year in the VFL in his come back games
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
    I think Bailey Smith could play well on that wing too.
    There is a fair chance that could happen but I must admit I like Smith forward and part of that midfield rotation
    We've picked up a gun player
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Does Gowers get a run down back? He has a bit of mongrel and we know he will compete and take grabs. The big knock on him is his goal kicking (his field kicking hasn’t struck me an issue).

I can’t see him breaking into the forward group, it might be the thing that keeps him on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Does Gowers get a run down back? He has a bit of mongrel and we know he will compete and take grabs. The big knock on him is his goal kicking (his field kicking hasn’t struck me an issue).

I can’t see him breaking into the forward group, it might be the thing that keeps him on the list.
    Gowers could but he would more than likely give away 3-4 visits a game down back ��
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.