Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weird pre-season ideas 2020

Here one to ponder. A really weird idea would be to do some goal kicking practice.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

2. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was a defender at Carlton and got delisted.

Seeing as we like our defendees to have composure and be good ball movers (with the exception being if you're tall and/or really good at intercepting) i don't really see it with him.

I know we hated it at the time but his best bet for versatility is being that Stringer type explosive big body in the middle on occasion. I guess theoretically he could tag and is a big body to play as a tagger which might make him better equipped against some of the big mids like Cripps but he doesn't seen to naturally have that defensive work rate.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

A weird pre-season idea involving Billy Gowers is even considering giving him an AFL game in 2020.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

5. Likes Happy Days, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    Here one to ponder. A really weird idea would be to do some goal kicking practice.
    Oh they practice goal kicking. They just don't do it properly which is even more infuriating than if they just didn't bother at all. They are just perfecting the wrong way to kick at goal.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I actually like the fact that Bevo tries players in other positions. The Naughton one worked brilliantly and we just have to accept there will be a few misses along the way.
    100%.

You win some you lose some...and sometimes moving a player is like moving a deck chair on the Titanic. But sometimes, it changes everything.

If you don't try to create a versatile playing list then you end up with a team full of players who can play either one spot...or else VFL. If you have at least given them opportunities in different parts of the ground then you might just end up with something unexpected.

Where Bevo is different from most coaches is that he is prepared to look at players who are 'going well' in one position somewhere else - with both Naughton and Wood being good examples. It is one thing to throw a struggling player to a new spot - it is quite another to change something that is 'effective' to chase something spectacular!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

8. Likes S Coast Simon, Mofra, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache at CHB has been suggested previously and it feels like a Bevo move begging to be made.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Schache at CHB has been suggested previously and it feels like a Bevo move begging to be made.
    I like playing players to their strengths, and for mine CHB doesn't do that for Schache.

He doesn't have explosive pace off a standing start, but what he does have is a huge tank for a big guy and beautiful field kicking (and of course height). I think the high roaming forward role is his best role as it plays to his strengths. We just chased Keath for a CHB role, and he's a brilliant intercept mark which again plays to his strengths.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Where Bevo is different from most coaches is that he is prepared to look at players who are 'going well' in one position somewhere else - with both Naughton and Wood being good examples. It is one thing to throw a struggling player to a new spot - it is quite another to change something that is 'effective' to chase something spectacular!
    It's actually a very exciting quality about how he views the games. It's all good and well to throw a hail Mary move to spark an under performing player but the decision around moving Naughton (his best defender) forward because he knew he had to kick winning scores show's he's prepared to look at the bigger picture

After addressing our lack of KPP hopefully we won't have to make too many changes in 2020 but knowing Bevo will have a few options in the back of his mind.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It's actually a very exciting quality about how he views the games. It's all good and well to throw a hail Mary move to spark an under performing player but the decision around moving Naughton (his best defender) forward because he knew he had to kick winning scores show's he's prepared to look at the bigger picture

After addressing our lack of KPP hopefully we won't have to make too many changes in 2020 but knowing Bevo will have a few options in the back of his mind.
    I think that Bevo is the best coach of the club in my time an I would say that even if we hadn't won in 2016.

It's because he isn't scared of the bigger picture. Bevo takes us on a trip, we don't know where we will end up but *!*!*!*! me it's an exciting journey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I think that Bevo is the best coach of the club in my time an I would say that even if we hadn't won in 2016.

It's because he isn't scared of the bigger picture. Bevo takes us on a trip, we don't know where we will end up but *!*!*!*! me it's an exciting journey.
    I can do without hearing his rationale at times but you're bang on we don't know where he will take us but it's mostly exciting.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I like about Bevo is that he is an extremely flawed genius. He has his contradictions, his preferences and strong opinions, and when things are going great they look better than great, and when things are going bad they look terrible but he sticks to his guns and defends his position to the end.

Now this would be a problem if he was an arsehole, but he isn't. He seems like a good enough guy who cares for those around him and that kind of makes all of the faults in the way he goes about things from time to time seem OK to me.

I played against one of his St Bedes sides, and lining up on the half forward line I was being felt up by my direct opponent in what I can assure you was a not OK fashion. I was right near the Bedes bench when that happened and I looked over to Bevo and their bench and gave them a warning along the lines of "if this continues I'm going to lash out". It happened again and a quick elbow to the throat followed, and looking at the bench nobody complained and a message swiftly came out from that area to lay-off. Warning and action accepted, no complaints and no further issues. I kind of like that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The thing I like about Bevo is that he is an extremely flawed genius. He has his contradictions, his preferences and strong opinions, and when things are going great they look better than great, and when things are going bad they look terrible but he sticks to his guns and defends his position to the end.

Now this would be a problem if he was an arsehole, but he isn't. He seems like a good enough guy who cares for those around him and that kind of makes all of the faults in the way he goes about things from time to time seem OK to me.

I played against one of his St Bedes sides, and lining up on the half forward line I was being felt up by my direct opponent in what I can assure you was a not OK fashion. I was right near the Bedes bench when that happened and I looked over to Bevo and their bench and gave them a warning along the lines of "if this continues I'm going to lash out". It happened again and a quick elbow to the throat followed, and looking at the bench nobody complained and a message swiftly came out from that area to lay-off. Warning and action accepted, no complaints and no further issues. I kind of like that.
    I don't mind those rules at all. If you gave them a warning and they were too stupid or didnt believe you would go there then that is very much their problem. I don't think that I would have gone the throat though-you can kill someone pretty easily with trauma to that area. Maybe a backhander in a pack or a quick ankle tap as he picks up the ball next time. I'd happily mame someone but I wouldn't want to kill them!

It's the nigglers who follow the umpire everywhere whinging that gives me the shits. If you want to fight then put your *!*!*!*!ing dukes up and let's dance.

Post Thanks / Like

What we can we do with Wallis and Libba?

If Weightman is good to go Round 1 and we play 3 tall forwards, then our forward line will look like Shache, Naughton, Bruce, Lloyd, Dale and Weightman.

Mids look like the Bont, Dunks, Macca, Smith, Hunter, Lipinksi and Mclean. Maybe Libba.

Could either or both Libba or Wallis do a Matt Boyd and play in the backline?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

18. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who would they replace in the backline DR?
    It's an intriguing conundrum to find homes for 2 quality players but both of them are very likely to be behind in the pecking order.

I think Wally is best placed to either come off the IC bench or play as a forward.
    Libba is a bit harder to squeeze in though in anything other than as part of the midfield rotation.

I'm not sure Weightman will be in the mix so early in the season but it does look like we are trying to squeeze 8 or 9 deserving players into 6 spots

I just struggle to find a home for either of them in the backline but I'd like to hear how that might work?

We have a deep list but I wonder if that is going to pose some significant challenges throughout the season

Post Thanks / Like

Who would they replace in the backline DR?
    It's an intriguing conundrum to find homes for 2 quality players but both of them are very likely to be behind in the pecking order.

I think Wally is best placed to either come off the IC bench or play as a forward.
    Libba is a bit harder to squeeze in though in anything other than as part of the midfield rotation.

I'm not sure Weightman will be in the mix so early in the season but it does look like we are trying to squeeze 8 or 9 deserving players into 6 spots

I just struggle to find a home for either of them in the backline but I'd like to hear how that might work?

We have a deep list but I wonder if that is going to pose some significant challenges throughout the season
    Happy New Year to you. Greetings from what's left of New South Wales.

Do not disagree with any of your thoughts - just trying to fit those two in.

In particular, Crozier is a lock and Durayea well respected as defenders.

It is now really hard to pick a top 22 rather than a top 26 or 27.

FWIW, when I try to pick a 22 I find it difficult to fit in players like Daniel and Suckling.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.