Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our depth players

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree with this. I have not been impressed with Mclean for some time now, and Cordy just can't play the KPP role, so what is left for him?
    He's 23. I'm not willing to write him off considering Morris debuted at age 23. As a pure KPD though I'm not as sold as the MC are - he can develop as a lockdown player for the medium forwards though. The de Goey, Raynor types that are in vogue.

I never thought I'd say this, but - we have too many tall forwards to fit Cordy in ahead of the ball. Right now as a forward Bruce and Naughton are close enough to proven and Schache has shown signs. Marra will develop there as a mobile tall as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Your second sentence sums up my thoughts on McClean and Cordy. Cordy tries hard but I actually find it hard to formulate an argument that his best AFL footy has been played in the role he is usually assigned (tall defender). To me he is a really positive, aggressive forward and a 'hard-working, high effort, largely ineffective defender'. McClean has been poor for 2-seasons (you could argue 3) and I would not be surprised if he spends significant time in the VFL during 2020.

Lipinski is in many ways the opposite of many of our young running players (Williams, Dale, McClean etc) in that his performances are actually BETTER than his reputation. I battled with MC decisions to leave him out of the side early last year but at the same time I can see his limitations (as the MC no doubt can at training) but it really is hard to criticise him based on output. All of THAT said, he just hasn't done it for long enough to be 'counted on'.
    Can you breakdown your thoughts on lipinski’s limitations? Is it mostly speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree with this. I have not been impressed with Mclean for some time now, and Cordy just can't play the KPP role, so what is left for him?
    McLean is an almost player and I feel a change in role has stunted his progress somewhat. I may be looking through red white and blue glasses but I value him higher than others. He has been sensational at times, critical actually. He has all the attributes to be an automatic selection, great skills, fantastic above his head, quick enough, good pressure player but I agree, 2020 is a big year for him.

Cordy has to play the Hargrave role. Does such a thing still exist i.e. third tall? Having a fit Alex Keath will help him immeasurably.

We have a very talented young list, but we'll need our 2016 stalwarts to once again track on an upward trajectory (Wood, McLean, Cordy, Daniel) in particular if we are to go deep next season.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He's 23. I'm not willing to write him off considering Morris debuted at age 23. As a pure KPD though I'm not as sold as the MC are - he can develop as a lockdown player for the medium forwards though. The de Goey, Raynor types that are in vogue.
    I could shut down Rayner from my seat on the level one wing.

Please no one bookmark this post.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly thought Cordy looked more than comfortable on Betts in the last H&A game. Anyone bigger or better in the air and he gets spooked.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Lipinski is in many ways the opposite of many of our young running players (Williams, Dale, McClean etc) in that his performances are actually BETTER than his reputation. I battled with MC decisions to leave him out of the side early last year but at the same time I can see his limitations (as the MC no doubt can at training) but it really is hard to criticise him based on output. All of THAT said, he just hasn't done it for long enough to be 'counted on'.
    Once we started getting the selections right we started playing better football. Lipinski got dropped off one bad JLT game and was sent to the VFL to "work on some things"
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Your second sentence sums up my thoughts on McClean and Cordy. Cordy tries hard but I actually find it hard to formulate an argument that his best AFL footy has been played in the role he is usually assigned (tall defender). To me he is a really positive, aggressive forward and a 'hard-working, high effort, largely ineffective defender'. McClean has been poor for 2-seasons (you could argue 3) and I would not be surprised if he spends significant time in the VFL during 2020.
    I mentioned Cordy as a forward when our interest in Bruce was being speculated on.

I still hold high hopes for him as a defender though. Either he and/or Trengove need to play each week in my opinion
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Honestly thought Cordy looked more than comfortable on Betts in the last H&A game. Anyone bigger or better in the air and he gets spooked.
    That's the thing, Zaine will always try his guts out but asking him to regularly punch above his weight has predictable consequences.

Keath's arrival might spell trouble for Cords, but it might also help shuffle him down the pecking order to more suitable opponents, to better effect.

I do like the sneaky wildcard forward option he's capable of too.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

11. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Lipinski got dropped off one bad JLT game and was sent to the VFL to "work on some things"
    Lippa had a talk to Bevo about what role he should play, and they agreed he could be an inside mid. So he worked on that role in the VFL and finally he earned a recall after some very good VFL games.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I never thought I'd say this, but - we have too many tall forwards to fit Cordy in ahead of the ball. Right now as a forward Bruce and Naughton are close enough to proven and Schache has shown signs. Marra will develop there as a mobile tall as well.
    Cordy isn't strong or explosive enough to play on these types of players, never will be imo. In time he may fit a Grimes-type role. These types are more suited to Wood at his best which we can afford to do now we have good rebound out of D50.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I could shut down Rayner from my seat on the level one wing.

Please no one bookmark this post.
    I'm possibly on my lonesome, but I love Rayner. He'll take years to build an AFL ready tank but when he does he's going to be a very good player. He shows glimpses that are far better than 'average player'. I actually really like alot of Brissie's kids - I'd still take McCluggage no 1 instead of no 3, Hipwood, Andrews, and I'll watch Dev Robertson with interest too.

Every coach seems to want a medium forward who can 'do it all'. Our version in the medium term may just happen to be a 194cm contested marking beast named Marra. I guess we wanted Gowers to play that way and Dale plays a little like that 'when he's on' (I have concerns about his consistency) but we really don't have anyone comparable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    That's the thing, Zaine will always try his guts out but asking him to regularly punch above his weight has predictable consequences.

Keath's arrival might spell trouble for Cords, but it might also help shuffle him down the pecking order to more suitable opponents, to better effect.

I do like the sneaky wildcard forward option he's capable of too.
    It begs the wider question - do we want a pure shutdown defender?

We specifically targeted Keath who has done his best work as an interceptor. We played Le Young over Trengove in the final and he's more interceptor. La Young snagged games last year as that tallish intercepter, while we still played both Wood and Crozier who do their best work as medium interceptors.

I like Cordy, I think we lack aggression on the park and Cordy gives us that but he's no interceptor. He's more lockdown who is hot or miss (finals game he was a hit on Cameron, had plenty of misses last year too).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm possibly on my lonesome, but I love Rayner. He'll take years to build an AFL ready tank but when he does he's going to be a very good player. He shows glimpses that are far better than 'average player'. I actually really like alot of Brissie's kids - I'd still take McCluggage no 1 instead of no 3, Hipwood, Andrews, and I'll watch Dev Robertson with interest too.

Every coach seems to want a medium forward who can 'do it all'. Our version in the medium term may just happen to be a 194cm contested marking beast named Marra. I guess we wanted Gowers to play that way and Dale plays a little like that 'when he's on' (I have concerns about his consistency) but we really don't have anyone comparable.
    Spot on. Raynor is a jet, will be a very, very damaging player. McCluggage may be even better in a different way, he has inside skills with explosiveness on the outside. Brisbane will be the real deal very soon and I can see them and us improving together and having some epic top 4 battles.

We did have Stringer re. the role you refer to but we all know how that turned out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That may be comrade, two points though - thought Betts was poor that day (which could have a lot to with Zaine in fairness) and I still remember Chayce Jones outmarking him in the 2nd quarter that was dead set embarrassing. Walker got him a few times that day as well.

His best football was the 2nd half of 2016 IMV
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eddie Betts is cooooked. He's good for a Joe the Goose or two a game these days and that's it.