Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our depth players

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If you wanted to start a thread called 'players whose onfield performances for the Bulldogs demand they are selected in the side' I think that would be a pretty small list.

- Bont.
    - Macrae
    - Dunks
    - Hunter
    - Crozier
    - JJ
    - Naughton
    - Daniel (though I have heard he is 'just hanging on' which seems weird to me.

ummmm....a couple of years ago I would have said Wood. Is there anyone else?
    Players who have proven themselves in one year on form and/or in other AFL systems:
    - Duryea
    - Lloyd
    - Keath
    - Bruce

Given our MC, I'd say Suckling is close too. We tend not to bring in mature players from other clubs without playing them in a specific role.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I would definitely add:

English (for lack of any better options on top of some solid performances)
    Lloyd

==

Josh Bruce is a walk up start but hasn't played for us yet.
    Bailey Smith is almost a lock but let's see if second year blues hits.
    English is still a kid with potential, as is Smith.

Bruce - we have NO IDEA on. I remember Jade Rawlings.
    Lloyd? Has he played more than 10 good games in our colours?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Players who have proven themselves in one year on form and/or in other AFL systems:
    - Duryea
    - Lloyd
    - Keath
    - Bruce

Given our MC, I'd say Suckling is close too. We tend not to bring in mature players from other clubs without playing them in a specific role.
    I liked the way Suckling stood up for us during 2018 when not too many others did. The others you mention have all proven something...just not for us! Duryea is the closest but needs an injury free, consistent year.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the way Suckling stood up for us during 2018 when not too many others did. The others you mention have all proven something...just not for us! Duryea is the closest but needs an injury free, consistent year.
    True, they haven't.
    Going by recent history, since 2015 every single senior player we have targeted has has a significant on-field role the following season.

I'd argue Keath is the most untried of the bunch considering games played and role for us, but I would be willing to lock both Bruce and Keath in for round 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Leading goal kicker with 38 goals
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Leading goal kicker with 38 goals
    Gowers led the goal kicking 12 months ago.

My question about ‘more than 10 good games’ stands. I like him, but to say he is proven as a bulldog is just not true.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Lloyd, he kicked 2 goals or more in 14 of his 23 games for us so he would be close to the 10 good game mark, Given the position he plays he is unlikely to be a huge possession winner but had he kicked a bit straighter (31 behinds) then who knows how we would view him

I agree though that it all depends on how he backs up in 2020.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Where does Lipinski sit mjp? I’d have him very close to proven contributor.

Others like McLean and Cordy should be there too, and I say should because they haven’t consistently been the players we need them to be. Some of that is perhaps through the roles we’ve asked them to play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

Others like McLean and Cordy should be there too, and I say should because they haven’t consistently been the players we need them to be. Some of that is perhaps through the roles we’ve asked them to play.

Just my view but I think we have 4 categories of players
    Established - Generally in best 18.
    Fringe - Generally ranged between 18 and 27. Being considered most weeks
    Depth - Generally between 27 and 38. Mainly covering injuries but can still force their way into the mix
    Developing - Younger players and the balance of the list. Waiting on their chances

You could argue their is also the elite talent group and one for injured players.

The players in each category can move quickly based on form and injuries

In that case Lipinski would probably be best placed as a fringe player but very close to established

10. Thanks Smads57 thanked for this post
    Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just my view but I think we have 4 categories of players
    Established - Generally in best 18.
    Fringe - Generally ranged between 18 and 27. Being considered most weeks
    Depth - Generally between 27 and 38. Mainly covering injuries but can still force their way into the mix
    Developing - Younger players and the balance of the list. Waiting on their chances

You could argue their is also the elite talent group and one for injured players.

The players in each category can move quickly based on form and injuries

In that case Lipinski would probably be best placed as a fringe player but very close to established
    Did wonder what the definition of depth player was for this thread - clear now.

Based on the above, am I correct in assuming that premierships are generally won by established and fringe players and it’s less common (does happen) that a team relies on depth?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post

Based on the above, am I correct in assuming that premierships are generally won by established and fringe players and it’s less common (does happen) that a team relies on depth?
    Generally, although WCE in 2018 are surely the exception missing their best ruck and best wingman.
    That's about $1.8m worth of players on the sideline when they won, although $2m worth of key forwards in 2016 were beaten by Hamling and Fletcher Roberts so anything can happen on the day.

You'd have to go back to Shane Ellen's 5 goals to see a real depth player making a difference on GF day. Perhaps Will Langford kiickign 3 goals in a GF as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post

I think you need a contribution from both. What is probably most important is a somewhat healthy list

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce will be massive next year, can play an important role forward. Clunks them and will be a key target. Jade Rawlings was a backman who was turned into an ad hoc full forward, didn't even want to be here. Bruce is a completely different proposition. He has the runs on the board easily best 22 if fit.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

Your second sentence sums up my thoughts on McClean and Cordy. Cordy tries hard but I actually find it hard to formulate an argument that his best AFL footy has been played in the role he is usually assigned (tall defender). To me he is a really positive, aggressive forward and a 'hard-working, high effort, largely ineffective defender'. McClean has been poor for 2-seasons (you could argue 3) and I would not be surprised if he spends significant time in the VFL during 2020.

Lipinski is in many ways the opposite of many of our young running players (Williams, Dale, McClean etc) in that his performances are actually BETTER than his reputation. I battled with MC decisions to leave him out of the side early last year but at the same time I can see his limitations (as the MC no doubt can at training) but it really is hard to criticise him based on output. All of THAT said, he just hasn't done it for long enough to be 'counted on'.

16. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your second sentence sums up my thoughts on McClean and Cordy. Cordy tries hard but I actually find it hard to formulate an argument that his best AFL footy has been played in the role he is usually assigned (tall defender). To me he is a really positive, aggressive forward and a 'hard-working, high effort, largely ineffective defender'. McClean has been poor for 2-seasons (you could argue 3) and I would not be surprised if he spends significant time in the VFL during 2020.

Lipinski is in many ways the opposite of many of our young running players (Williams, Dale, McClean etc) in that his performances are actually BETTER than his reputation. I battled with MC decisions to leave him out of the side early last year but at the same time I can see his limitations (as the MC no doubt can at training) but it really is hard to criticise him based on output. All of THAT said, he just hasn't done it for long enough to be 'counted on'.
    I agree with this. I have not been impressed with Mclean for some time now, and Cordy just can't play the KPP role, so what is left for him?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.