Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The nostalgia series - the best premiership EVER, 4 years ago today

When I look back at this precious day, I am actually stunned how calm I was. I'd always thought I'd be consumed with terror at the thought of us being embarrassed on grand final day if we finally got there, but it was somehow all about floating on the tide of emotion.

The best moments were sometimes outside the actual day: seeing the 'G with our emblem painted on it; the way Old Footscray town came alive to urge our team on and then celebrate the win; the packed train on the way to the Grand Final parade; the feeling at our beloved home the next day when we all packed in to celebrate, and my sister and I fulfilled a long-held promise to lie down on the grass where my dad played for the reserves in the 50s.

Here's the blog for that day/week: http://www.bulldogtragician.com/the-...were-the-force
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Thanks Eastdog, SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The nostalgia series - the best premiership EVER, 4 years ago today

What a great week it was TBT. I did it all. The whole of Melbourne and Victoria was awash with red white and blue.

- Went to the Grand final training session at Whitten Oval, Footscray on Thursday morning with 10,000 fellow supporters.

- Went to the Grand Final Parade on Friday with over 100K people.

- Went to the Grand final itself on Saturday at the MCG with close to 100K there.

- Went to the Premiership party day at Whitten Oval, Footscray the next day with 30K supporters.

Would love to do this all again in the future!
    Last edited by Eastdog; 01-10-2020 at 04:17 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

4. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was nervous, but a lot more optimistic pre game than I was before the prelim. The sense of destiny was so strong, it felt like the result was already determined.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    When I look back at this precious day, I am actually stunned how calm I was. I'd always thought I'd be consumed with terror at the thought of us being embarrassed on grand final day if we finally got there, but it was somehow all about floating on the tide of emotion.

The best moments were sometimes outside the actual day: seeing the 'G with our emblem painted on it; the way Old Footscray town came alive to urge our team on and then celebrate the win; the packed train on the way to the Grand Final parade; the feeling at our beloved home the next day when we all packed in to celebrate, and my sister and I fulfilled a long-held promise to lie down on the grass where my dad played for the reserves in the 50s.

Here's the blog for that day/week: http://www.bulldogtragician.com/the-...were-the-force
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Highlighted points especially. I also took a screen grab of the AFL.com.au homepage that had "Bulldogs v Swans 2016 AFL Grand Final" on it. It seemed a bit surreal to see our logo and colours everywhere associated with a grand final. Each year watching the premiers hoist the cup on the dias, I dreamt of it being us. When the moment arrived for us it just seemed.....natural.

Like you I was quietly nervous yet mostly calm. The nerves came from the event itself rather than what was on the line. Being my first grand final in attendance it certainly had a different feel to it. It was as though there was a lessened importance as it took on a feel of a regular game.

Typically a close game in an important final would be excruciating ala the prelim a week before. But I was so calm. So positive. So sure we would win. I liked that feeling and I miss it!

Post Thanks / Like

Grand final week I don't think I did a sceric of work. It was so exciting knowing that we were actually in a grand final and we could enjoy the build up as Easty mentioned with Training, the Parade, meeting at Fed Square.

Like BT, I wasn't nervous at all, I just wanted to enjoy the day and I was quietly confident we were going to win.

When JJ kicked that goal, I was ecstatic, and thought this was our premiership, but then came down to earth with a thud as there was still time for Swans to kick a couple. Of course when Boyd kicked his goal after the great tackle from Morro, I knew then it was all over bar the shouting.

At the end, text messages were coming in from everywhere and my daughter rang me from Japan (she was there on extended holiday). I thought I would be a blubbering mess, but I didn't shed a tear. After the presentations etc, instead of going to the pub, I headed home as I couldn't wait to watch the game again. My wife was shocked when I arrived home.

Whenever I re watch the match, I do get teary eyed - a great memory.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Grand final week I don't think I did a sceric of work. It was so exciting knowing that we were actually in a grand final and we could enjoy the build up as Easty mentioned with Training, the Parade, meeting at Fed Square.

Like BT, I wasn't nervous at all, I just wanted to enjoy the day and I was quietly confident we were going to win.

When JJ kicked that goal, I was ecstatic, and thought this was our premiership, but then came down to earth with a thud as there was still time for Swans to kick a couple. Of course when Boyd kicked his goal after the great tackle from Morro, I knew then it was all over bar the shouting.

At the end, text messages were coming in from everywhere and my daughter rang me from Japan (she was there on extended holiday). I thought I would be a blubbering mess, but I didn't shed a tear. After the presentations etc, instead of going to the pub, I headed home as I couldn't wait to watch the game again. My wife was shocked when I arrived home.

Whenever I re watch the match, I do get teary eyed - a great memory.
    I went straight home too even though I always thought I'd paint the town red. I just wanted to see my kids and my dad more than anything else.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I was nervous, but a lot more optimistic pre game than I was before the prelim. The sense of destiny was so strong, it felt like the result was already determined.
    I was the same on GF.
    I had trepidations every game of the finals, thought we would lose to West Coast, then Hawks, then GWS....
    I was quite calm on Grand Final day.

Post Thanks / Like

https://ibb.co/N1gqjcQ

And the Western Suburbs erupt...
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I went straight home too even though I always thought I'd paint the town red. I just wanted to see my kids and my dad more than anything else.
    Yeah also went home as well. I took the train in from the eastern suburbs in the morning which had plenty of excited Doggies supporters on board and then before getting picked up by mum after the game I got my Mark knight poster 2 copies one for my wall and one just kept for being lamented and rolled up and just amazed at what the Dogs achieved.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

The dam wall has broken

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't believe it's four years. Went with my mum and wife, mum was at 54 so was very special.
    Hugged randoms, shed tears, enjoyed The Living End. My childhood footy days ended when that final siren went. Thirty five years of being crap, ok, close, robbed, heartbroken all kärchered away by that amazing team.

I was amazingly lucky enough to go to the after party. Still pinch myself I got to talk to Bevo one on one; "can you believe this?" I said to him...."No!" was the response.
    I even got a man hug off of Easton. Very special day.

I'm enjoying this second chapter being a Dogs supporter. Let's hope the wait isn't as long and we start by burying those cheating aints this weekend ! Go Dogs !

Post Thanks / Like

I had a couple of thoughts today, reflecting on Tom Boyd's grand final moments and overall career.

1) Has there ever been a more outrageous and unexpected moment than Tom Boyd's 60m bomb to win a grand final? I've seen Hodge kick goals, I've seen Leo Barry take contested marks, I've seen Aker and Chappy kick snap goals. I'd never seen Tom Boyd kick a 60m bomb. The only thing I can think of that is close is Wayne Harmes belting the ball back in from the front row for the blues.

2) Who would look back at their career more fondly - Tom Boyd or Nick Riewoldt (insert your own player who played a lot of games but didn't win a flag). Riewoldt played over 300 games, captained his club, AA and B&Fs, he did it all - but he played in 2 losing grand finals, 1 draw, and has one of the most demoralising GF moments in Heath Shaw's smother. Boyd retired after a 61 game career during which he was top 3 on field in a winning grand final. It's a genuinely tough call.

17. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I had a couple of thoughts today, reflecting on Tom Boyd's grand final moments and overall career.

1) Has there ever been a more outrageous and unexpected moment than Tom Boyd's 60m bomb to win a grand final? I've seen Hodge kick goals, I've seen Leo Barry take contested marks, I've seen Aker and Chappy kick snap goals. I'd never seen Tom Boyd kick a 60m bomb. The only thing I can think of that is close is Wayne Harmes belting the ball back in from the front row for the blues.

2) Who would look back at their career more fondly - Tom Boyd or Nick Riewoldt (insert your own player who played a lot of games but didn't win a flag). Riewoldt played over 300 games, captained his club, AA and B&Fs, he did it all - but he played in 2 losing grand finals, 1 draw, and has one of the most demoralising GF moments in Heath Shaw's smother. Boyd retired after a 61 game career during which he was top 3 on field in a winning grand final. It's a genuinely tough call.
    I would have just given the nod to Nick but his dive tarnished his reputation and he got his just deserves.

In all seriousness I’d normally say the likes of Riewoldt. However given the incredible circumstances of the win for Boyd - a drought breaking bulldogs premiership - it makes it a difficult decision such was the occasion.

I always have a similar conversation with friends. Who has the more meaningful career - one club legends such as Riewoldt/Grant/Robert Harvey etc who did everything but win a premiership or the likes of Lake or Tom Lynch who jumped clubs but won premierships?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Yeah also went home as well. I took the train in from the eastern suburbs in the morning which had plenty of excited Doggies supporters on board and then before getting picked up by mum after the game I got my Mark knight poster 2 copies one for my wall and one just kept for being lamented and rolled up and just amazed at what the Dogs achieved.
    That means you felt sorry for it Easty! I think you meant laminated.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

I've always said that you play footy to win premierships. The AAs and being club captain and B&Fs are nice but they are essentially ephemeral (ephemera?) to getting on the dais and being handed a premiership medal and doing a lap with the cup. If I were Nick Riewoldt I would give it all up to swap places with Tom Boyd for that one day alone.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The dam wall has broken

LOVE that photo.
    "It's over. It's all over."

21. Likes Eastdog liked this post