Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  69
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Injury List - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...hYiJyVk86meflI

Bevo confirming both Naughton and Wallis will play.
    So does that mean neither of them will play?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Wallis ready for finals action

Mitch Wallis’ recovery has gone to plan and he’s an all but certain starter against the Saints, after putting it to the test over the past week at training.

Mitch Wallis is hungry for another taste of finals football.

And the midfielder-turned-forward is confident he will be good to go when Saturday’s elimination final against St Kilda rolls around.

Wallis picked up a shoulder injury late in the Western Bulldogs’ win against Fremantle, which secured the team a finals berth.

The 27-year-old’s recovery has gone to plan and he’s an all but certain starter against the Saints, after putting it to the test over the past week at training.

“I’m very lucky that we’ve been given the finals bye and that’s in place,” Wallis told Triple M on Monday morning.

“I’ve got through the first week pretty well and I’ve got main training to get through on Wednesday, but all roads are leading to a positive outcome.

“I’m feeling good, I’m feeling strong and I’m looking forward to it.

“It’s going to take a hell of a lot more than this to keep me from playing this final, I can tell you that much.”

Injuries have kept Wallis out of the Bulldogs’ two most recent finals campaigns, in 2016 and 2019, making him all the more determined to play his part this week.

He’s been one of the Bulldogs’ most influential players in 2020, as a leader and a reliable presence around goal. Wallis leads the club’s goal-kicking table with 24 majors from his 17 games.

The shoulder injury late against the Dockers has proven just a minor hiccup, after a little bit of doubt had crept into his mind immediately after the injury had occurred.

“There were a fair few things going through my mind. I knew it was late in the game and we had probably iced the game already,” Wallis said.

“I’ve never done anything to my shoulders, so I wasn’t sure what the outcome would be, but I was reassured pretty much after that you recover pretty quickly from these types of injuries.

“I’ve got full confidence I’ll be able to play.”

3. Thanks azabob, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Vandermeer, Suckling in mix

Young gun Laitham Vandermeer and experienced finals performer Matt Suckling could give the Western Bulldogs a selection dilemma – of the positive variety – for Saturday’s elimination final against St Kilda at The Gabba.

Both will potentially be available to face the Saints, as they complete the final stages of their recovery from hamstring injuries.

Vandermeer has played 12 matches in 2020, after making his AFL debut in round two.

The 21-year-old hasn’t played since being injured in round 14 in Geelong, but will have had five weeks to recover when Saturday’s game comes around.

Suckling could also return, to feature in his seventh AFL finals campaign.

The 32-year-old missed the Bulldogs’ round 18 win against Fremantle but could add to the talent at senior coach Luke Beveridge’s disposal if he comes through Wednesday’s training session strongly.

Star forward Mitch Wallis will also be tested at Wednesday’s session, with all signs pointing to him being available – alongside fellow forward Aaron Naughton – after picking up a shoulder injury late in the win against the Dockers.

Injury list

Aaron Naughton (cheekbone) – available
    Matt Suckling (hamstring) – test
    Laitham Vandermeer (hamstring) – test
    Mitch Wallis (shoulder) – test
    Josh Schache (Achilles) – 1-2 weeks

Lin Jong (ankle) – season
    Toby McLean (knee) – season
    Callum Porter (groin) – season
    Cody Weightman (ankle) – season
    Rhylee West (groin) – season
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Vandermeer, Suckling in mix

Young gun Laitham Vandermeer and experienced finals performer Matt Suckling could give the Western Bulldogs a selection dilemma – of the positive variety – for Saturday’s elimination final against St Kilda at The Gabba.

Both will potentially be available to face the Saints, as they complete the final stages of their recovery from hamstring injuries.

Vandermeer has played 12 matches in 2020, after making his AFL debut in round two.

The 21-year-old hasn’t played since being injured in round 14 in Geelong, but will have had five weeks to recover when Saturday’s game comes around.

Suckling could also return, to feature in his seventh AFL finals campaign.

The 32-year-old missed the Bulldogs’ round 18 win against Fremantle but could add to the talent at senior coach Luke Beveridge’s disposal if he comes through Wednesday’s training session strongly.

Star forward Mitch Wallis will also be tested at Wednesday’s session, with all signs pointing to him being available – alongside fellow forward Aaron Naughton – after picking up a shoulder injury late in the win against the Dockers.

Injury list

Aaron Naughton (cheekbone) – available
    Matt Suckling (hamstring) – test
    Laitham Vandermeer (hamstring) – test
    Mitch Wallis (shoulder) – test
    Josh Schache (Achilles) – 1-2 weeks

Lin Jong (ankle) – season
    Toby McLean (knee) – season
    Callum Porter (groin) – season
    Cody Weightman (ankle) – season
    Rhylee West (groin) – season
    So there's 50% good news.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

How is Suckling in the mix at all? Has battled niggling soft tissue injuries all year and when he has been rolled out, he's been just ok at best.

He no longer has a designated role in the team and his body is cooked.

Thanks for everything Suckers but it shouldn't even be a consideration.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    How is Suckling in the mix at all? Has battled niggling soft tissue injuries all year and when he has been rolled out, he's been just ok at best.

He no longer has a designated role in the team and his body is cooked.

Thanks for everything Suckers but it shouldn't even be a consideration.
    Couldn't agree more despite EasternWest hoping he will play.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Release Suckers, there is nothing this man can not do!

11. Likes bornadog, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Release Suckers from our club, there is nothing this man can do!

I have amended that for accuracy.
    "It's over. It's all over."

13. Thanks Axe Man, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Key Dogs forwards fit to face Saints

STAR Western Bulldogs forwards Aaron Naughton and Mitch Wallis are both set to play in Saturday's huge elimination final against St Kilda.

Naughton has been training with a helmet this week following surgery on a depressed cheekbone, while Wallis picked up a shoulder injury in the round 18 clash against Fremantle.

"Those two lads are fine to play, so it (the make-up of the team) won't be much different to what it has been," Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said on Friday.

Young forward Laitham Vandermeer has missed the previous four games with a reasonably serious hamstring injury, while Matt Suckling has had multiple hamstring strains this year, but Beveridge is "definitely considering" both players for the game.

"They're both around the mark for selection, but it is risky bringing in players off longer-term hamstring injuries," Beveridge said of Vandermeer and Suckling.

There's no more scratch matches in the works for the Bulldogs, so unselected players will have to press their case in an intense training session on Sunday – that's if they get through the elimination final of course.

Beveridge is confident he's got "plans B and C" at the ready no matter what the Saints ty to throw at them.

The Saints blanketed speedy Bulldog Jason Johannisen by placing Jarryn Geary on him in a shutdown forward role in round two, but Beveridge has thrown his players around in different roles in the last six weeks to ensure they can adapt to whatever happens.

"We're prepared for those defensive tactics," Beveridge said.

"I think we're more equipped now and the Saints will test us because they're a big, physical contested side."

After being outmuscled in last year's elimination final loss to the Giants, the Dogs believe they'll be ready this time around.

"There's a game within a game at times and there's some off the ball stuff that occurs week to week, but it definitely went to new levels in the past," Beveridge said of previous physical battles.

"What we've done earlier in the year is prepare ourselves for that.

"If there was a vulnerability there and someone wanted to scratch that, then we need to make sure that we'd meet it head on."

15. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post